P5K-SE - Retail Leopard Instalation

Jimmy Mallmann

1,037 posts in this topic

Oh, fine then! try downloading using a bittorent file.

As it is a hack, some problems happens sometimes :)

Hi Jimmy, I wasn't exactly clear in my response to you. Your ISO worked perfectly, it was my OSX install disc that had the problems. A reburn was required and all went fairly well so, again, thanks for that.

I found I had to move my Logitech Bluetooth receiver right to the computer though as the keyboard and mouse wasn't being recognized in the USB hub (as it is under Windows). After a fairly painless install, I'm up and running but I now have to figure out how to get the Bluetooth receiver to work under MAC through the USB hub. I think its related to a USB issue rather than a Bluetooth issue as I know the BT receiver worked off the hub in Kaliway.

well.. i couldnt be happier.. ;)

Im now running osx....!!! ;)

Everything works like a charm..

Install method:

1. Kalyway, nvinject 320 and some other patches.

2. combo updater

3. all patches as listed in the tut

and all done..

THX!!!

Kizzessssssssss!! :D

one thing does not work, but thats not a big deal.

The command key are on the wrong key!

OSX cant find my "windows key". tried to change under modify keys. Any ideas on how to hack it??

Thanks Jimmy! Followed your instructions and it worked, well mostly. I had to change keyboards from PS/2 (PC) to an Apple USB (from my old G3 Powermac). The PS/2 works only if I boot from the 123 boot CD and not directly from the HDD even after application of kexts. Also when using a HFS+ (extended, journaled, case-sensitive) GUID partition results in a boot1:error on startup, changing to the non case-sensitive type solves the problem.

My specs - all working!

ASUS P5K SE/EPU

Onboard LAN & Audio

Intel C2D 2.66 GHz E7300

2 GB DDR2 800

Seagate ST3250310AS SATA 250 GB

Samsung SH-223Q SATA

Logitech Click! USB mouse + Apple USB keyboard (Bondi Blue!)

Retail Leopard 10.5 + 10.5.6 Combo update

It works!!!!!

It took me almost 2 weeks to find out my graphics card was broken.(grrrrrrrr) It used to work so that made it really hard. Also because normal vga mode worked. I installed windows xp to make sure it was my videocard. I gave me a blue screen after i installed the video drivers and today exchanged the videocard.

Thanks Jimmy!

Thank you very much for your knowladge sharing :( ! I have installed successfully with some fixes and run it Retail 10.5.6 now BUT i have installed it on MBR partition type !

I made some combnation with MACinized method for Boot-132 Dual-Booting Retail Leopard & WinXP

Hi,

Thanks for all the help, I got my system working perfectly the first time. I am having one issue however, and I have not seen any discussions about it in the forums.

After I have completed the entire installation guide, I test the system to make sure it's running fast and everything is working as described, and it is. The video is fast, I can watch movies with VLC (mkv HD streams) and not a single problems, iTunes works and no stuttering during playback at all.

THEN, I do restore from TimeMachine. After I am completed I log into my user account that was restored. Everything appears to be normal until I try video or audio playback. The video stops and stutters continually, VLC doesnt want to play half the movies, and other video players do not even work period. Itunes will just stop playing a song mid stream for no apparent reason. All the other programs to my knowledge still work.

I looked at Activity monitor and it seems that VLC is now taking up alot more CPU than normal. Memory looks fine (3GB) though.

Any ideas what the hell could be going on? I'm in the process of manually rebuilding the system at the moment to see if that fixes anything. Adding all my apps back is just going to take a long while. Maybe that will fix it, but maybe it wont, any ideas?

P5K SE

3GB RAM

500GB WD SATA HD

Nvidia 7300GT 256MB

onboard sound working

onboard LAN working

all USB/FW ports working

Thanks,

icebear

Well, are you using the retail installation? Ha you have installed other kexts...

Thanks Jimmy. I think i found it. I installed nvinstalelr and used the efi studio/tools included to write the efi string to my apple.com.plst.

Could it be that it killed the timemachine fix? Is that in the efi string perhaps?

Thanks again!

Hi, well, as I said I do not have any issues regarding time machine, perhaps because I use a backup of the vanilla system (retail) If you have made it from a modded system (kalyway, iDeneb) probably would mess things up... try, copying manualy the config files and folders to you vanilla system, without using time machine... then use your time machine normally

Hi,

Thanks for all the help...

Thanks,

icebear

probably yes! First clean your com.apple.boot.plist, then apply the EFI String (VGA and Ethernet) using Universal Installer. Try to restore your backup manualy, a clean profile made in the vanilla (retail) system, there might be some incompatibilities with other installations (kalyway, iDeneb, etc..)

Thanks Jimmy....

Thanks again!

probably yes! First clean your com.apple.boot.plist, then apply the EFI String (VGA and Ethernet) using Universal Installer. Try to restore your backup manualy, a clean profile made in the vanilla (retail) system, there might be some incompatibilities with other installations (kalyway, iDeneb, etc..)

I did a clean install. So no kalyway, Ideneb are there i guess. So do you think i can skip the restore the backup manualy

About cleaning. I have to look into that. I don't know what the installer do precise in the plist. I tryed it before and i destroyed my plist and system.

Thanks Jimmy!

A clean com.apple.boot.plist should be like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>None</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Thanks Jimmy!

A clean com.apple.boot.plist should be like this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>None</string>

</dict>

</plist>

That didn't work but i guess it has something to do with the fact i edited it with textedit. Or that if you use the universal installer twice i kills stuff in your system.

But i did a reinstall. Used the universal installer with the graphics and it worked. :wub:

Now I'm going to search for people who did full restore using this retail 'method' after a crash using the Timemachine on the install dvd. I'll let you know if i find anything

Thank again for this wonderful guide and help Jimmy !

Hi,

The Retail installation and patch is compatible with P5K-VM?? Because after boot with 132 BOOT CD and star the installation of the retail DVD, stops and give an error on "Install BaseSystem". The same thing If I try via Terminal through my Kalyway installation with the commands:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open OSInstall.mpkg

Of course I do have a second HDD to made the install.

Please help!

Roy

It is compatible

and there are 2 possibilities for the installation problem:

your DVD is faulty, not reading well

your Media (Retail DVD) is faulty

but since you told me this happened before, I guess your DVD is broken, or almost.. try with another one and let us know!

Hi,

The Retail installation and patch is compatible with P5K-VM?? Because after boot with 132 BOOT CD and star the installation of the retail DVD, stops and give an error on "Install BaseSystem". The same thing If I try via Terminal through my Kalyway installation with the commands:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open OSInstall.mpkg

Of course I do have a second HDD to made the install.

Please help!

Roy

Hello Jimmy,

Thank you for your fast reply.

I got a DVD for a friend, and fails, after that I've got a RETAIL copy from Rapid Share (http://ddl.dvlogics.com/?p=435) and I have tried to install from the mounted image and I got the same result. I want to try with a burned DVD and test it, if all works fine then I'll buy an original copy of Leopard. I guess that I will burn the image and test it with the 132 BOOT CD.

Regards,

Roy

Hi THere,

Great guide

I'm following it step by step, got everything, but i hit immediatelly a problem, my system wont boot to the 123 boot CD

can you post optimal bios settings for the p5k-se?

I've disconected all the drives attached to the computer but the SATA dvd and the New hard drive where i'll be installing OSX (10.5.5 retail) set up the correct boot order , but nothing.

Thanks!

Update:

Help!

I've checked the Boot CD from another computer and it's OK,

The SATA DVD is brand new, but the computer won't boot to the CD. I've updated the bios and still nothing.

The drive boots to Windows Vista DVD, but not to 123 or retail osx dvd. I've burned a new Cd from the 123 iso for the p5k family and i'm still not able to boot HEEEELP!! thanks :)

i think is some SATA config. on the Bios

SUCCESS!!!! Erase and format the HDD and it works!

But two issues: FIREWARE did not work and HDD ICONS show as external disks, the ones with the systems.

Your help will be great! THANKS!

Roy

update to the newest bios, let system to default settings

boot with the p5kfamily.iso CD/DVD you have burned

post your complete system specifications

Hi THere,

Great guide

I'm following it step by step, got everything, but i hit immediatelly a problem, my system wont boot to the 123 boot CD

can you post optimal bios settings for the p5k-se?

I've disconected all the drives attached to the computer but the SATA dvd and the New hard drive where i'll be installing OSX (10.5.5 retail) set up the correct boot order , but nothing.

Thanks!

Update:

Help!

I've checked the Boot CD from another computer and it's OK,

The SATA DVD is brand new, but the computer won't boot to the CD. I've updated the bios and still nothing.

The drive boots to Windows Vista DVD, but not to 123 or retail osx dvd. I've burned a new Cd from the 123 iso for the p5k family and i'm still not able to boot HEEEELP!! thanks B)

i think is some SATA config. on the Bios

Good, considering your mobo is not a p35/ich9 chipset

there is a post using the G33 chipset, there also you might find usefull information (link)

SUCCESS!!!! Erase and format the HDD and it works!

But two issues: FIREWARE did not work and HDD ICONS show as external disks, the ones with the systems.

Your help will be great! THANKS!

Roy

update to the newest bios, let system to default settings

boot with the p5kfamily.iso CD/DVD you have burned

post your complete system specifications

Hi Jimmy,

Mobo:

P5K SE BIOS 1104 (updated allready) , I did reset the settings to default

Proc:

Core 2 duo E6550

Mem:

4 GB Kingston PC800

PCI-e:

PNY Geforce 8600 GTS

SATA:

Ch-1 LG Sata DVD/RW drive (brandnew)

Ch-2 Maxtor 500gb Sata HD 7200rpm (brandnew)

Ch-4 Maxtor 160gb Sata HD 7200rpm (Vista Home Premium Install)

PATA:

LG Pata DVD/RW

PCI:

Pinnacle 310i DTV tunner

Audio/Lan/USB:

Onboard.

I'll take down everything again tonight and try again, maybe i'm messing something Up. What i dont get is why the Vista DVD boots ok and the 123 image don't! I've burned 2 Cds from different computers already using thep5kfamily.iso Any Ideas are wellcome.

Thanks for your help

Hi, one thing I have noticed, If you have more than 2Gb of memory, make sure the memory you are using is listed in que QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for that motherboard... If not, panics should occur using p5k-se , see asus page for your mobo...

Also, if having problems, disconnect pata devices...

Thanks for your help