Graffiti

Soündless

should graffiti be legal?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. should graffiti be legal?

• yes
    • no

161 posts in this topic

Whether art or not, if its not your property you have no right to touch it.

Now are you talking about publicly funded properties?

Considering that one person's junk is another person's art and vice versa and in this age of trying to be so political correct probably less headaches to just leave things alone. I can see it now, teenager falls off ladder while painting a highway sound barrier, (assuming its legal), sues government.

i should probably define my standards and the way i would be happy with it being legalized:

any publicly funded building

any government property

any signs, bridges, benches

any buisiness

no houses or apartments

I say no then.

How do you regulate what can be painted? Someone will always be offended.

Who decides who gets to paint what or is it a free for all, first come first serve?

i would say it would be a free for all, if you dont like something, paint over it

i would say it would be a free for all, if you dont like something, paint over it

Humans are too stupid for a free for all situation ever to work.

Tonight on the 6:00pm news - "5 youths shot in a drive by shooting in what police characterized as a gang related revenge killing over repainted graffiti."

i should probably define my standards and the way i would be happy with it being legalized:

any publicly funded building

any government property

any signs, bridges, benches

any buisiness

no houses or apartments

If I owned a business and someone grafiiti'd on it I'd be really, really irritated. I don't even see how you could believe in such a thing.

Tonight on the 6:00pm news - "5 youths shot in a drive by shooting in what police characterized as a gang related revenge killing over repainted graffiti."

Headrush is right, a lot of 'tags' are gang related.

Graffiti is going to happen, and in some cases it's beautiful. However it's still vandalism and should be illegal.

Humans are too stupid for a free for all situation ever to work.

those kids are idiots, you have to know what the situation is with gangs before you ever go over anything

i dont feel at all guilty when i mess up walmart or subway, i feel no remorse doing itperformance art

You should feel guilty over your lack of capitalization. Lets see some pictures of your art. Do you even live in a ghetto area? Since you have a macbook pro I kind of doubt that. Thanks for ruining Illinois, {censored}.

Yeah, I have no idea why any public property should have legalized graffiti. What if everyone covered the speed signs across America, so no one could tell how fast they should go? Bad idea.

You should feel guilty over your lack of capitalization. Lets see some pictures of your art. Do you even live in a ghetto area? Since you have a macbook pro I kind of doubt that. Thanks for ruining Illinois, {censored}.

He should be pissed about people ruining other states. I mean old people already ruined Florida and he's running out of options. No one is ruining California if I have anything to say about it. ;)

graffiti.jpg

i just think it gives life to the otherwise boring buildings of industrialist america

and @ erie33, i'll admit i am from a middle class family who lives in a 3 bedroom house in indiana, im not in the least bit ghetto, but who said that graffiti is ghetto only?

Hmm soundless, you google'd graffiti and posted the tenth option, nice work. I've never had a problem with you, so I'm not trying to come across as rude but: that's private property. If you did something like that on the side of a building I owned I'd beat the {censored} out of you.

Okay, Let's give an example.

We have just got a pretty major train line where we live, and it has been open for no more than 5 or 6 days.

Already the windows, seats and outside of the trains have been tagged and vandalized. The windows are all scratched up, the back of the seats inscribed with offensive comments.

I fail to see how this is a form of 'art' and cannot possibly think that it should be legalized.

Another example:

The school I go to has frequent people tagging and vandalizing the property, causing them to constantly have to repaint their walls, costing heaps. Also, people are ruining expensive equipment (air conditioners etc.) on the roof which are worth upwards of $10 000.

Again, it seems pointless and destructive.

If I owned a business and someone grafiiti'd on it I'd be really, really irritated. I don't even see how you could believe in such a thing.
I wouldn't care if people tagged my shop. I'm all for freedom of expression. And that's what it essentially is. Artform or not, debatable. Some of it looks utterly horrible, probably cause they have no idea what they're doing. But when someone knows what they're doing, it's amazing.

i dont feel at all guilty when i mess up walmart or subway, i feel no remorse doing it
Down with conglomorates.

Do you even live in a ghetto area?
but who said that graffiti is ghetto only?
That seems pretty racist erei. Only minorities tag building? What are you trying to say by that? I take offense to that comment. I agree with Soundless, graffiti isn't just for ghettos. I know a bunch of white people, matter of fact there's a gang of em near me that tag all the time. They come to me to know who tagged what already. (I'm cool with all the gangs here).

graffiti.jpg

i just think it gives life to the otherwise boring buildings of industrialist america

and @ erie33, i'll admit i am from a middle class family who lives in a 3 bedroom house in indiana, im not in the least bit ghetto, but who said that graffiti is ghetto only?

It's hideous, and looks a mess and makes the area look degraded.

Well done

I wouldn't care if people tagged my shop. I'm all for freedom of expression. And that's what it essentially is. Artform or not, debatable. Some of it looks utterly horrible, probably cause they have no idea what they're doing. But when someone knows what they're doing, it's amazing.

Down with conglomorates.

That seems pretty racist erei. Only minorities tag building? What are you trying to say by that? I take offense to that comment. I agree with Soundless, graffiti isn't just for ghettos. I know a bunch of white people, matter of fact there's a gang of em near me that tag all the time. They come to me to know who tagged what already. (I'm cool with all the gangs here).

whoever said that it was minorities in the ghetto? Do whites not live in the ghetto also?

I think I know who the racist one is now. It is you!

when tagging is used primarily as a form of gang war, there is something wrong. And I would say that most of tagging is due to that very reason (though I have nothing concrete to back this up).

That's not racist, that's stereotypical. Both of you. ^

There aren't as many 'hooligans' where I live, unless you go to the outskirts of San Francisco, and maybe the warehouse buildings near the highway. But really, it isn't an artform. Do you think the people who painted the offensive words on the back of the seats wanted to make it look prettier? No.