8800GT G92 512mb _id:0611 10.5.2 files: !TEST!

spanakorizo

64 posts in this topic

finished...

first thoughts:

with those kexts of the .31 installer it feels a little faster

general problem:

crashed at the half of reading a full DVD with toast as used to do with the 1st beta kexts from december

downloaded quinn and tested for some minutes : no crash there

screen savers/display changes: no crash but this used to be really random

the fastest crash as it used to be was with toast by copying a DVD (no need to copy it will crash at the reading)

so now i will w8 for 10.5.2 stable update

and i will test more ,i will work my projects in flash/photoshop etc in mac for 1 day with itunes open and everything

then i'll be sure

not forget to add that my distro is KALYWAY 10.5.1

i couldn't install nothing else 10.5.1 and i didn;t have the time to try more

w8ing for apple's update

different mobo? (mine is premium)

different bios version/different bios settings?

different distro? (mine is kalyway)

i have sata DVD ,not IDE

jmicron is enabled and set to IDE

maybe i should set it back to AHCI and test again (it used to crash in the past with ahci and the beta 10.5.2 kexts)

many things.. you know

but as i said i didn't have the time to test farther ,now

maybe only toast is crashing and it's just my idea that all the other apps will random crash

that's a problem ...i can't open final cut and w8 for the crash cause with beta kexts maybe it would crash in 5 min or 5 hours or never

i'll wait for the final 10.5.2 and as i said i'll use osx as primary system until random crash

so i'll test a lot (even if toast is still crashing..)

without qe/ci i never have a crashbut without qe/ci most of the programs won;t start

toast for example doesn't open without qe/cibut i can copy 4GB DVD like copy/paste to the desktop without qe/ci

so the problem is not in the dvd/controllers etc

i had a crash 5 minutes ago..i had to do something like a video footage with effects

so i said ok let's do it in apple motion

after 20' i had grey kernel panic crash (you must shutdown your computer etc)

usually it's not like this ,but the screen hangs

I doubt the distro is the thing... Maybe the DVD burner is since mine is IDE, I dunno. Jmicron is AHCI there though since with IDE I have problems.

i had a crash before even with ahcithe dvd was not spining ,there was no disk insideit will crash even if i unplug controller/electricity

it';s not the dvd

i'll figure out what is it if i find time

as i said i'm waiting for the final 10.5.2 but i think nothing will change..

but right now you are the only one in this thread that you say you've got no crash with 8800gt

so start telling us what different there is in your computer

you are oc?what distro you use and what did you modify/extra installed?

we need everything so prepare a cup of coffee and start writing :wacko:

Hmmm i'm using a vanilla Leopard, no distrob. My processor is overclocked, just read my signature. I have pretty much disabled ANY CPU features except NX in the bios. I've only replaced AppleSMBIOS, AppleACPIPlatform for the reboot fix and IONetworkingFamily for the Time Machine fix, that's all.

I guess that's pretty much it :)

PS : I do use a lot VMWare Fusion which used to crash even with my old G80 but now with G92, no problem at all (while I see lots of people can't even boot their VM).

can you please upload the 3 kexts to try?

smbios is the one that posted recently and fix the hack.int.osh label with the correct mobo's?

mine is also overclocked at 3.0ghz but the crash will happen even with default cpu speed

i believe crash will happen in kalyway 10.5.1+8800GT beta kexts

i own a vanilla leopard disk but it needs a lot of time preparation to build my own osx86 install dvd

For those kexts I suggest you go into irc.osx86.hu #leopard, they are in the topic. AppleSMBIOS is included with pcefi v8. No AppleSMBIOS will display Mac Pro as the name of the mobo, though the one you have is OK as far as I know.

You can install Vanilla leopard disk using Pacifist on another HDD if you can :)

EDIT : I'm using Toast 8.03

i see a clear difference ,i have 4gb ram

i've read somewhere that maybe this could be a problem..

i can;t test now cause i fu$$$d my installation

when 10.5.2 comes out i'll install again kalyway and i'll try with 2gb ram or with a boot flag

what is the code exactly? (...maxmem= ?...)

Greetz spanakorizo,

i´ve discovered something interesting with the "freeze" problem. @ weekend i tried the new 9c31 nvidia and i`ve installed the new mach_9c31 kernel. After reboot everything worked (response is even faster with that new driver) but after a few minutes when i startet to install all my stuff ,the "freeze" came again :(

But then i had an idea, beacause i also had big problems with my 4gb of ram in windows vista. So i´ve started osx with the command you already mentioned maxmem=2048 @ startup. After that all the freezes are gone. I could work for a few hours without a single crash even when i´ve "stressed" the pc with quicktime playing and installing apps , parallels open , and screensaver running. After 3 hours i got an crash (please reboot your mac , but no freeze) but i think it was because of an faulty install and also too much open at the same time :( . I will make further testing . Please also try to run with e.g. maxmem = 2048 (i´ve discovered that it runs very good here till maxmem=2944 )

Most errors disappeared after using the latest build (9C30, 31 has sameones AFAIK) kexts/frameworks http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=19

I still get some glitches in openGL games (eg CIV has all the leaders eyeballs and teeth textures on the outside of their skin textures... looks damn freaky when Catherine the Great gives you that come hither look ;-) ). But the rest of pro apps and CI works 100% so far.

Oh, it's an install from a retail 10.5.0 DVD.

i;ll do it now elgomezo!i came here to post my results on CLEAN 10.5.1 kaly installation+10.5.2 final updatethe gfx with the final (9C31) files is DAMN fast!so i prayd that it will not crash ,i installed toast ,i started copy a DVD and at the half of reading it crashed again .. (freeze) :) i forgot to test the mem trick cause i didn't have installation ,i'm gonna try it now ,i'll post again after toast crash or no crashtoast is my best example ,if this don't crash i'm sure that the problem was in 4GB rami'll be backif this is not the problem ,i can't think anything else... :rolleyes: ..last chanceEDIT:testing.... (at 50% now..)YYYYYYEEEEEEEESSS!!!!! :rolleyes: NO CRASH ANYMORE!!now what can we do with the 4GB ram?

cyclone i'm sure memory remap is disabled in bios :P

even in windows it can see the 3gb of ram only ,cause im in xp SP2 so it won't be a problem

but the good thing is my mobo bios has 2 OC profiles ,so 1 can be for XP and the other for leopard

now i am at work ,when i'll return home i have plenty of time for testing :)

i allready installed a lot of apps last night so this'll be the last osx attempt/installation :)

anyway as i said ,last night toast didn't crash and after installing all the adobe CS3,final cut studio no crash either

with maxmem=2048 all these (i tried 2944 also but not with much testing)

i'll post my results later this afternoon (12.00 morning here)