installing JaS patched 10.4.3 DVD on laptop with SATA hard drive?

chiefsalami

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I burned a copy of the JaS 4.2b patched 10.4.3 installation DVD, and can boot the machine from it, but cannot install it on my laptop because the hard drive is not seen during installation. I have a SATA internal drive, and I read that the JaS 4.2b patch provides support for SATA, both during installation and for booting after install. Yet, I am not even able to see the drive, even with Disk Utility.

I tired the DVD in another laptop with an IDE hard drive, and the installation can see the drive just fine. Can someone please help? Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to do something else to get this working?

thanks!

I'm trying to say that the hard drive is not seen AT ALL. No partition is seen, including the NTFS ones. Also, I mean that this is occurring during using the "Disk Utility". No hard drive is even seen so I can't do a partition/format so the installation program has a drive to install onto.

Edited by chiefsalami

OK, I was able to install the system through VMWare, and specifying the hard drive to be the actual system partition on my SATA drive. However, of course, when I reboot from the OS X partition, it still says "waiting for root device". It is obviously not loading the driver. I tried running the system through VMWare, and running "sudo kextload AppleIntel915.kext", since my motherboard is a 915 chipset. This didn't help. I also saw mention of the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext working, and see it is being loaded during boot, but can't seem to find where it is actually stored. It is not in the Extensions folder.

Does anyone know how to have the OS load the Intel SATA driver during boot? If I can get this to happen, it should take care of it.

The problem for me is Advanced Host Controller Interface (ACHI). When I installed 10.4.3 DVD I had to go to BIOS and change my SATA operations to good old ATA. Then installation will see the previously invisible HD and install. After installation, download the new 10.4.4 extensions and copy the 2 new ACHI kexts as discussed somewhere in this forum. Then you can reset your BIOS to SATA and osx will boot.