Nvidia 6600GT 256 mb PCIe not working

ibuyufo

7 posts in this topic

I managed to install OS X 10.5.1 into my PC only to find out that the 6600gt would not work with the NVinject kext package. It boots up, shows a blue screen, then goes to a black screen with a pointer and hangs. I managed to track down the causes which was the video card. Has anyone successfully installed and used a 6600gt 256 mb pcie card? The card for some reason will work in safe mode. I can change the resolution and everything but lack hardware acceleration and I can't run some programs due to the hardware acceleration.

If no one has done this feat then what is the best recommended budget card for leopard? Thanks everyone!

Hi Macgirl,

I'm using NVinject and he specs for my system are as follow:

Intel D975xbx2xr2

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

4 gigs of PC6400 ram (Corsair)

1 80 gig SATA drive

Onboard sound

Geforce 6600GT PCIe with 256 mb ram. I think it's a PNY.

That's what the computer is reporting.

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0140

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.0

Displays:

Display Connector:

VGA Display:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 85 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

I'm currently running in safe mode and that's the only reason this video card will work. The weird thing is that if I do run in safe mode I'm able to change to the correct resolution. But if I run normally it'll go to a black screen and stay there. Thanks for helping and let me know if there's anything that you need.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone solved this issue yet? It's strange some people get their cards work with the same devID and some don't. I think I've tried everything with Kalyways 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 update. BTW My card is xfx 6600gt 256 MB pcie dvi+vga+tv.

/Dennis

ps to get it working under 10.4.11 i had to replace gfx-kexts (and maybe opengl.framework from 10.4.9... i don't remember) and use natit_edited.

Has anyone solved this issue yet? It's strange some people get their cards work with the same devID and some don't. I think I've tried everything with Kalyways 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 update. BTW My card is xfx 6600gt 256 MB pcie dvi+vga+tv./Dennisps to get it working under 10.4.11 i had to replace gfx-kexts (and maybe opengl.framework from 10.4.9... i don't remember) and use natit_edited.
So I have the same card, with the same Device ID, on my Kalyway_Leo 10.5.1 (vanilla kernel) it works, but only at 1024x768 of resolution, may be anyone have an ideaa why??thanks a lot timothy
So I have the same card, with the same Device ID, on my Kalyway_Leo 10.5.1 (vanilla kernel) it works, but only at 1024x768 of resolution, may be anyone have an ideaa why??thanks a lot timothy
So i resolved my problem for the resolution, I installed the NVinject 0.2.1, and now it works:with QE and CI, perfect!!timothy