Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 Installation Reboot problem

Beatnik

66 posts in this topic

I have the same problem...

mine just says.. starting darwin/x86

then screen blanks and restarts..

i tried using mbr and guid.. both have the same issue...

at first i thought it may be the video card.. 8600GT.. but i switched to a 6200LE-A

same problem...

i have an AS Rock 4CoreDual-VSTA board...

anyone have any clues?

thanks..

I have this same problem with a stock HP DC500 SFF PC, and I might have just gotten around it. I've tried every combination to make this work, from manually installing the EFI, to combinations of installs, but I finally got into the setup screen.

I had to manually install the EFI using a usb key, reboot

Then I installed the Kalyway DVD using only SSE2 and the Bootloader options. I ignored the vanialla kernal.

I'm now looking at the setup screen.

Let's hope it works for some others

i m gonna try this with my hp computer -_-

thanks for the tips !!

Hey Ho,

I've got the same problem, I already wrote some topics about this problem, but nobody helps me! :unsure:

My hardware:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 9,60Ghz

4GB DDR2 Ram 800Mhz

Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 512MB

Asus P5N-E SLI Mainboard

Samsung 500GB Sata HDD

Please have an answer to our problem! PLEASE!!!

Greets, Manuel Pape!

Hey Ho,

I've got the same problem, I already wrote some topics about this problem, but nobody helps me! :(

My hardware:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 9,60Ghz

4GB DDR2 Ram 800Mhz

Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 512MB

Asus P5N-E SLI Mainboard

Samsung 500GB Sata HDD

Please have an answer to our problem! PLEASE!!!

Greets, Manuel Pape!

Try hitting F8 at boot... then "TOHKERNEL" if you have used kaly 10.5.1 as your install.

I was having this problem too, but this is not the solution for those wanting a true vanilla machine.

If it doesn't matter you could add tohkernel to the boot.plist... so you don't always have to type it in at boot.

regards,

ninetto

^I actually just heard about that solution elsewhere, im going to try it in a minute. Whats the deal with the mach kernel though? iATKOS uses it and it boots fine? Did kalyway just not include the new one?

Edit:

That actually didnt work... :)

At least iatkos worked fine.

Of course Kaly provided the vanilla kernel in his last release, it is listed as an install option.

Problem is, for vanilla to work EFI has to be installed and there seems to be a problem with this on some systems, mine included.

So I installed EFI "manually" and after that I did not have to boot with the TOH kernel, which will work without EFI.

onwards-thru-the-fog,

ninetto

Hey Ninetto!

That's great, I tried to boot with "TOHKERNEL" and now I see the apple bootscreen! :)

But that's it! After a few seconds there's an error window! Here is a photo:

http://home.arcor.de/manu.pape1/kalyway_error.JPG

What should I do???? :thumbsup_anim:

And how can I add tohkernel to the boot.plist? What/Where is the boot.plist?

Thanks already! Manu!

the tohkernel on kalyway just kicks me back to the boot flag screen. Nothing happens at all. Like i said, iATKOS works fine so i just ran that. To be honest, im surprised my old beast can run leopard at all.

@Manupape:

The boot.plist is a file that is kind of like the boot.ini of windows. If you add "tohkernel" to it your system will always boot with that flag. If you add "-v" it will always boot verbose. This is so you dont have to type it in every time you reboot.

Thanks, but how do I add TOHKERNEL to the boot.plist?

I copied the file to my desktop and then I ad <key>TOHKERNEL</key><string></string>.

So it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>TOHKERNEL</key>

<string></string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</plist>

This cannot be right because it doesn't boot, either.

So how do i add the TOHKERNEL ?

And another question, how should I add the Graphics Mode because it doesn't work, either?

Manu! :(

My installation is also always rebooted before the graphical installer starts. I have noticed though that the MD5 sum of my iso image did not match the one stated in .rtf file. Mine started with BB... (can't check right now). The same disc booted nicely on another machine. Could somebody else with this problem post their MD5 sum. Maybe it's not irrelevant.

Hey Ninetto!

That's great, I tried to boot with "TOHKERNEL" and now I see the apple bootscreen! :)

But that's it! After a few seconds there's an error window! Here is a photo:

http://home.arcor.de/manu.pape1/kalyway_error.JPG

What should I do???? ;)

And how can I add tohkernel to the boot.plist? What/Where is the boot.plist?

Thanks already! Manu!

I get this same error. However, what I did to even get here was while installing Leopard, I formatted the hdd (separate drive, not same drive with Windows XP) and named it MACOSX. I read somewhere that when you name your drive to anything with spaces in the name, it might not work (this is what I had been doing). So, I took the spaces out of the name and when install was done, I actually got it to start booting. But, at the Darwin bootloader, it would start to boot but would quickly reboot into an endless loop. Now, after further reading I tried these boot options: "tohkernel cpus=1" Then it got all the way to here with this same error and now I'm stuck. Help would be greatly appreciated.

well painless and simple, i tried to install leopard in my Pc since the first one DVD, i tried kalyway 10.5, brazilsmac patched by me and by others, toh rc1 e rc2, iAtkos 1.0 and 2r1.0, now the best in the moment Kalyway 10.5.1 SSE2 SSE3.

ive got a hundred problems.

This time Install seemed to go OK ( like so many others times ).

but when i reboot ( "vanilla -v -f" )

stops with last line

/usr/sbin/ocspd[96]: starting.

and when i reboot ( "-v -f" )

stops with last line

/usr/sbin/ocspd[61]: starting.

P5b Premium

E6750@2.66

2X1Gb@667

Nvidia 8600 GT 256MB

320GB SATA II (Vista) ( red connector )

120GB SATA II ( trying leopard ) ( red connector )

80GB IDE ( backup )

DVD-Rw IDE ( with IDE-SATA converter ) ( black connector).

DVD IDE

black connector = Jmicron

so i've tried almost all things that people said at foruns over the internet ( change connectors, disable and eneble something in BIOS, disable LANs, Disable Jmicron after install, install many ways, ...) what can cause this Error??, i think with this answer i can find a better way to solve this problem....

if anyone has solved this same problem or have some clue.

please add me.

MSN: rmhulle@terra.com.br

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Okey! I dont get this at all! I have the same problem as you guys. Ive got 10.4.8 run om my P4 northwood before, but when i try to boot this kalyway version it just reboots during the boot. I dont know what you type to load another kernel?!

you said that after hitting the f8 you just have to type "TOHKERNEL". If i do that, nothing happens exept im returning to the screen where I can shoose to press f8 or whait to darwin to load.

If i type "-TOHKERNEL" darwin boots but nothing indicates that another kernel is booting?!

Just like if i type for example "-Sh*t" darwin also boots instead of telling me thats an unknown command or something?!

so i guess in darwin, to get something to boot you have to type "-" before inserting any command?!

but shouldent there be somthing that tells me that the command is accetable or not?

I've tried to type "-TOHKERNEL" and also "-iATKOS" but it seems that it boots the same stuff as always and reboots after a while. And shouldnt there be a way to insert more commands before booting darwin? like "-v" and after that, have the possibility to shoose another kernel, so I actually can see whats loading at the same time as I load another kernel?

and how to configure the boot.ini thing? If i check all the files on the dvd or the dvd image and open the files like BOOT1H or CDBOOT in notepad just wierd letters like "öÁ•ä°1ÛŽû" apperars and nothing that make sense?!

It feels like im a real noob when it comes to darwin and .kext and kernels and all this stuff. But isn't there a noob guide or something?! do I have to be an experienced hacker or programmer to get stuff like this to work?

Did anyone got it to work? Im having the same problem right now too. pentium4 1.5ghz sse2, 1.5Gb, want to install it on its own hard drive IDE PATA with its own cable and dvd drive with its own cable.

Please any help will be really appreacited.

I have the same problem but my message is this:

Loading Darwin/x86
 EFI enhanced bootloader build: ToH
 Using SMBIOS table found at 0x000f99f0
 Using ACPI RSDP revision 0 found at 0x000f88b0
 Hey we are going backwards! -> , restarting timing

and then reboot...

Kalyway 10.5.1 SSE2 SSE3 DVD

my installation:

Vanilla Kernel

Vanilla ACPI_fix

bootloader efi_mbr

PCChips P23G

Intel Pentium D

HD SATA with two partitions, xp and kaly.

I think that could choose SSE2?

Edit: Feb-27-2008

finally I can to boot, just by typing "tohkernel" after F8.

But now here other problem, Leopard can't recognize my PS2 keyboard.

Any idea?

• 4 weeks later...