How can I get iDVD to work with MPEG-2 files?

iPirate

5 posts in this topic

I have an MPEG-2 file. I have iDVD. I have set up a decent menu in iDVD, but now I can't import the MPEG-2 file as the movie.

I have MPEG Streamclip, the MPEG-2 component for quicktime, and Toast 8.

I would like to create a DVD with little or no conversion of the original file (I really hate going via DV with its low quality and oppressively large filesize).

I know of a way involving creating a DVD with Toast from the original file but then I can't copy the movie files over (and the .ifo and .bup files) without preventing access to the menus created in iDVD. If I use the .ifo and .bup files created by iDVD, DVD player doesn't play sound and becomes unresponsive after 10 seconds (the length of a dummy clip which had no sound that I had imported into iDVD).

Or does anyone here know how to make a dummy file with dummy audio of a specified time length and pixel size?

Many thanks in advance.

Why don't you play the file in Quicktime and save it as or export it as a .mov, I think iDVD can access those files. Although I'm not 100% on that. Just using info I picked up reading threads in the forum.