Install XP on a mac and get the money!

Smeagol

18 posts in this topic

Vista will be the only windows OS to work properly on the new intel mac line.

I think Linux will be the first OS for a dual boot on a iMac.

P.S: If you mean Vista is only OS to work properly on a intel MAC, does that mean OSX don't work properly? :blink:

I think Linux will be the first OS for a dual boot on a iMac.

P.S: If you mean Vista is only OS to work properly on a intel MAC, does that mean OSX don't work properly? :blink:

he sad windows OS, but I don't think it is so problematic to run xp when EFI grub or elilo will be available .

WinXP is a 4 year old OS. And quite outdated in my book. It doesn't have any modern drivers out-of-the-box hardly at all. XP's lack of driver support is well known. M$ cares about market share, not quality, compatability, and security.

I suppose that the amount of driver support in windows XP could be considered very good when you've only used linux and windows. Xp has excellent driver support considering the HUGE amount of hardware available for XP machines. This is what will gradually become a problem for the mac... assuming that it's going to gradually take on more and more of a "compatible with everyone's business needs" sort of marketing appearance (my own theory), it should become more common for tech-store customers to ask the salesman if sound card X is compatible with OSX, providing us with the famous answer "the hardware is compatible but X company hasn't written drivers for OSX yet".

This is something that will happen increasingly over the next year until Apple figures out how best to market mac-compatible hardware expansions (and software). Realistically, if you think XP is famous for limited driver compatibility... hahaha, try OSX intel. Now THAT'S incompatible!

I'm still buying a 20" iMac though because I know companies are writing 3rd party drivers for their hardware while I type this (for example for my pro-audio hardware (sound card, midi interface, multi-channel audio interface, motorized control surface, etc). I'm just waiting until my house purchase is finished so my wife won't freak out at me... it'll be a gift to her anyway (I'll just use it a lot!)

You can get linux to run on almost anything now-a days.

problematic driver support? OS X86 isn't even compatible with nVidia gfx cards for Christ sakes.

Mac OS X x86 is not for any PC, but I expect that support in later releases, ATI support was just released, before that only Intel GMA.

• 2 weeks later...

Taken of apple's site

"Quartz Extreme functionality is supported by the following video GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX and later, or any AGP-based ATI RADEON GPU. A minimum of 16MB VRAM is required."

os if Quartz Extreme supports thoes GPU's then gues Mac would support them to.. it's like 2+2=4.. if QE supports them then osx needs to support them to, ore else it would be a littel waset of code in QE...