Using OS X86 DVD on a PowerPC Mac

bdonkey

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Just yesterday, I tried out my jas-patched OS X Intel DVD on an old iBook to upgrade it to Tiger, but after completing the installation, it's just showing the rainbow-swirly-of-death. I thought that the DVD included both working versions for Intel and PPC Macs, right?

Anyway, so I'm asking if there is anybody else who has had this kind of trouble, or if there are any actual success stories of installing OS X on a PowerPC Mac with an x86 DVD.

Thanks.

10.4.1 DTK definitely installed a working copy of Tiger (inc iPhoto) on my Powerbook G4 12'', but i havent tried the 10.4.3 disc.

I, as well. But, memory useage was 200+MB more than the PPC-only OS X 10.4 installed on my G4.

I'd like to correct my last post. I was able to boot and install a none patched version of 10.4.3 8f1111 on a G4 via a external firewire dvd drive. This means that the install DVD's are already Universal.

Edited by Kevlar

The DTK 10.4.3 8f1111 will install on a PPC Mac. However, being that it's a developer release, you won't be able to get any updates to the OS... security updates and point upgrades (e.g. 10.4.4) won't be installed. I hosed my system attempting to force-upgrade a 10.4.3 8f1111 to 10.4.4. The system wouldn't boot afterwards.