Acer Laptop users (Intel).

Detosx

572 posts in this topic

OK, here it goes:

1. I've managed to find out on a polish forum what could be the problem with performance. Someone said about switching my HDD to AHCI mode.. It was set like that in BIOS but I changed it for a second to IDE, and switched it back to AHCI.. Effect? The intro animation worked blazing fast with flawless sound ;| I've managed to make it to the registration dialog but still no symbols were appearing while typing. So I killed the system with the power button and plugged the USB keyboard to a different plug. After booting the computer up there was something strange - the grey apple animation ended with a message that I should reboot my Mac. After rebooting everything was once again working in 5 fps and ratatatatata sound..

So I decided to format the disk once again and install the Mac system with the plugged USB keyboard right from the beginning. I've set the following options:

1. Didn't use Darwin_Boot at all

2. Didn't select none of the EFI options

3. Selected x3100 graphics driver

4. Selected Intel Speed Step

5. Selected SMBIOS fix

Installed everything on a journalled partition.. After rebooting (the system boot up from the DVD Boot system) the animation was running the crappy performance but I haven't lost my faith. And it was worth it because the keyboard finally worked. I'm writing this post form Safari browser in my Mac OS..

Still got terrible issues:

-Speed - I think it's clearly related to the AHCI problem but got no idea how to solve it..

-Sound - I had it working flawlessly from the speakers during the animation twice.. No it's that sort of ratatatata.. But maybe the AHCI fix will make it

-NO DVD DRIVE - it seems that Mac treats my DVD device as a Hard Drive - I can't eject it

Please heeeeeeelp :poster_oops:

EDIT:

I've made a restart and the system was working perfectly for 5 minutes! I've got sound through the speakers, and could manage to do everything without problems.. But suddenly everything went slow and continues to behave that way. So for sure it's caused by AHCI. But the question is: how do I solve that?

Hi Grabar, it can be an adventure!

Let's exclude the obvious, first. Did you check to make sure your copy of iATKOS wasn't corrupted during download - did you check the md5? Once you ran the updater patch, did you again check the MD5 to make sure it's as it should be, as stated by uphuck?

Did you use good quality DVD media? I use Maxell DVD-R, which seem to have fewer pressing faults than others I have used.

Did you burn the DVD at 8 speed or less? If patient, burn at 4speed and don't use the computer while doing so.

Re the install, I would again start over, using these settings (it has been a while so I might be missing a step or two and I don't have the laptop here to experiment with)

As I remember it.

(first off, make sure you have no usb device connected)

1) Format your hard drive using gparted - Primary partition, FAT32, boot

2) Reset your bios to the defaults - I didn't need to adjust anything except setting the DVD as the first boot device so as to boot from the DVD.

3) Once the installer has loaded up, go to Disk Utility, click on your hard drive, then click on the erase tab, then select Journalled, then click on erase and wait.

4) From the Options/Customize I selected X86Darwin, I didn't select the Vanilla kernel. I select the X3100 driver and MBR EFI. Don't select Speedstep at this point, you can do so later.

That should work for you. It's pretty unlikely you have a corrupted bios but you might want to go to Acer and download the latest, which is something I haven't tried with my Extena. To flash the bios you will need to reinstall Vista.

Don't give up :P

hey guys,

i have an acer laptop model "ferrari 4005 wlmi".

every amd dvd of any version i have tried yet stopped at a special point.

the problem was obviously the touchpad of the laptop.

i had to plugin an external usb keyboard (i used the ps2 keyboard from sony ^^) to go on installation.

there was just one dvd that was able to accept an installation, but after the installation the system didnt work and stopped while booting.

so no success yet, as you can see.

hopefully further coming amd dvds for leopard hackintosh and the other hackintosh cats coming will have better implementation of much more hardware.

i know you guys do a great job!

go on like before!! ;-)

besides i have a benq laptop r55.g21 - hackintosh is working well on it except marvell yukon network driver problems under iatkos (with appleyukon.kext) - network driver isnt working, even if i replace with a driver working under tiger.

well that is my experience with hackintosh in short.

interested in your experiences!

regards,

dancemc87

about time i joined this thread...

my acer laptop is a 5634WLMI (specs in my sig)

Leopard works quite well on my laptop but...(it took ages to get it to boot WITHOUT the dvd) when i try to install a usb device like my belkin adapter for internet.. it shuts off all the other USB'S, also shut down doesnt work... so i have to hold the power button for 5 seconds... (a shame was quite annoying too and you could potentialy accidently fry your laptop if you thought it was off)

Tiger works abit better... but i have a 80% success rate of booting into the system fine... the other 20% the screen sticks at the white screen after apple logo appears, also sleep doesnt work, and for some reason illustrator wont work... other than that it seems fine (annoying about not being able to turn screen brightness down tho because in battery mode my battery on power saver lasts 1 hour 10 mins which is rediculous)

about time i joined this thread...my acer laptop is a 5634WLMI (specs in my sig)Leopard works quite well on my laptop but...(it took ages to get it to boot WITHOUT the dvd) when i try to install a usb device like my belkin adapter for internet.. it shuts off all the other USB'S, also shut down doesnt work... so i have to hold the power button for 5 seconds... (a shame was quite annoying too and you could potentialy accidently fry your laptop if you thought it was off)Tiger works abit better... but i have a 80% success rate of booting into the system fine... the other 20% the screen sticks at the white screen after apple logo appears, also sleep doesnt work, and for some reason illustrator wont work... other than that it seems fine (annoying about not being able to turn screen brightness down tho because in battery mode my battery on power saver lasts 1 hour 10 mins which is rediculous)
Hi there. Try Paulicat's modified smbios (for Leopard) - it helps get Photoshop working I'm told, so possibly the same with Illustrator. I would install it using kext helper B7 - it saves time and is great when you are sleepy! It's hard for me to diagnose problems I haven't experienced. My advice would be, instead of using Insanelymac's hopelessly crude search facility, use google and add insanelymac as one of the search words. Nine times out of ten you will find someone with similar problems. If USB devices are attached to two of my computers, said computers they take forever to boot up.
hey guys,i have an acer laptop model "ferrari 4005 wlmi".every amd dvd of any version i have tried yet stopped at a special point.the problem was obviously the touchpad of the laptop.i had to plugin an external usb keyboard (i used the ps2 keyboard from sony ^^) to go on installation.there was just one dvd that was able to accept an installation, but after the installation the system didnt work and stopped while booting.so no success yet, as you can see.hopefully further coming amd dvds for leopard hackintosh and the other hackintosh cats coming will have better implementation of much more hardware.i know you guys do a great job!go on like before!! ;-)besides i have a benq laptop r55.g21 - hackintosh is working well on it except marvell yukon network driver problems under iatkos (with appleyukon.kext) - network driver isnt working, even if i replace with a driver working under tiger.well that is my experience with hackintosh in short.interested in your experiences!regards,dancemc87
Hi dancemc87. This thread is for Intel based Acers so why not set up one for AMD users? I would certainly be a visitor :) We don't have benq laptops in this country, interesting! Best of luck.
Hello,I'm a newbie too and i have a problem with Leopard In my acer 5652, all works except my wifi card and power management how i can active the power management ?sorry for my english but im frenchthanks a lot
Hi Glaciadluz, I found the wifi card in my 5620 didn't work, so I replaced it with a BRCM1020 wifi card from my broken HP laptop. Thus far it works for surfing, though it's not vastly great at picking up weak signals; few are, though. I have yet to download any large files like a Linux distro, though; some people have mixed results with wifi cards in both laptops and desktops. Happy so far, though. I'm told also that a Atheros AR5BXB6 Mini-PCIe or a Dell 1490. When you say you are having problems with power management, which version of Leopard did you install. Using iATKOS, if you select X86Darwin and NOT the vanilla kernel, you can select Speedstep and adjust settings. I'm not sure if there are many people out there who have got sleep to work. Though it's rare that people fry their hackintosh laptop's, post what happened to me other users have been telling me their tales of woe! You need to be a little careful, keep an eye on those temps!

Hi there. Try Paulicat's modified smbios (for Leopard) - it helps get Photoshop working I'm told, so possibly the same with Illustrator. I would install it using kext helper B7 - it saves time and is great when you are sleepy! It's hard for me to diagnose problems I haven't experienced. My advice would be, instead of using Insanelymac's hopelessly crude search facility, use google and add insanelymac as one of the search words. Nine times out of ten you will find someone with similar problems. If USB devices are attached to two of my computers, said computers they take forever to boot up.Hi dancemc87. This thread is for Intel based Acers so why not set up one for AMD users? I would certainly be a visitor :) We don't have benq laptops in this country, interesting! Best of luck.Hi Glaciadluz, I found the wifi card in my 5620 didn't work, so I replaced it with a BRCM1020 wifi card from my broken HP laptop. Thus far it works for surfing, though it's not vastly great at picking up weak signals; few are, though. I have yet to download any large files like a Linux distro, though; some people have mixed results with wifi cards in both laptops and desktops. Happy so far, though. I'm told also that a Atheros AR5BXB6 Mini-PCIe or a Dell 1490. When you say you are having problems with power management, which version of Leopard did you install. Using iATKOS, if you select X86Darwin and NOT the vanilla kernel, you can select Speedstep and adjust settings. I'm not sure if there are many people out there who have got sleep to work. Though it's rare that people fry their hackintosh laptop's, post what happened to me other users have been telling me their tales of woe! You need to be a little careful, keep an eye on those temps!

I installed Kalyway Leopard. I have no clue if my CPU is being "speed stepped". These is nothing that indicates that. Also, as others, I cannot let sleep happen or it doesn't recover. Are speed step and power management related? I assumed they were two separate features (one in kernel, one as a driver). Shutdown/boot works great.

I also swapped out my wifi card for a Broadcom (4311) and it works flawlessly. I notice no degredation compared to my previous Vista installation.

My built-in web cam worked great on install, when the OS takes your picture. After that, photobooth sees the camera but it is totally garbled.

Finally, I get mouse tearing / mouse artifacts. Others have this. I tried putting on natit but perhaps improperly as it didn't help. And OS actually told me it cannot use it.

Please, let all of us keep on these common issues and share our results. I would love to make this version near perfect. If any Acer laptop users have overcome any of these, PLEASE SHARE. Also, try to be precise and attach appropriate files. Make our lives easier.

Cheers!

your problem with the OS telling you that you cant use it is because you havnt given it proper permissions.

Drop in your Natit.kext

then go into terminal and do the following hitting enter after each line

cd /System/Library/Extensions/ this will tell the terminal to move in to the Extensions folder

sudo chown -R root:wheel Natit.kext that will prompt you for your password which as you type you will not be able to see but it is going in

sudo chmod -R 755 Natit.kext

sudo rm -rf ../Extensions.mkext

sudo reboot

Your machine will restart and the new kext will be loaded, wheather that will make a difference to your prdicament i dont know but that is the proper way to install a kext.

you can also use kext helper

I installed Kalyway Leopard. I have no clue if my CPU is being "speed stepped". These is nothing that indicates that. Also, as others, I cannot let sleep happen or it doesn't recover. Are speed step and power management related? I assumed they were two separate features (one in kernel, one as a driver). Shutdown/boot works great.I also swapped out my wifi card for a Broadcom (4311) and it works flawlessly. I notice no degredation compared to my previous Vista installation.My built-in web cam worked great on install, when the OS takes your picture. After that, photobooth sees the camera but it is totally garbled.Finally, I get mouse tearing / mouse artifacts. Others have this. I tried putting on natit but perhaps improperly as it didn't help. And OS actually told me it cannot use it.Please, let all of us keep on these common issues and share our results. I would love to make this version near perfect. If any Acer laptop users have overcome any of these, PLEASE SHARE. Also, try to be precise and attach appropriate files. Make our lives easier.Cheers!
I need to read up about power management. Those things that were compatible with Tiger don't work with Leopard, so I am out of date.The important thing, for new users, is to adjust the power settings right after the install - Put the slider to Never where it says "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for" clear the check box next to 'Put the hard disk to sleep when possible'. Putting the display to sleep doesn't seem to be a problem, though I have heard a few people have problems with it. Speedstep essentially allows you to underclock your processor for less demanding processes, saving energy and keeping the temperatures down. I would say it's a must for laptop users. I don't think it's an option during the Kalyway install but is an option during the iATKOS install, provided you go the X86Darwin/EFI MBR/and don't select the Vanilla kernel. Speaking of which, I can see why someone would want, with Kalyway, to GUID partition their hard drive and use the vanilla kernel, but not on a laptop where battery life is far more important that blistering speed.You have mouse tearing? What is the spec of your computer? Mouse tearing is a problem with the older GMA 950 processor, especially with Firefox. I used Opera and Safari on my HP laptop which had the GMA 950. As far as I'm aware no solution was found, though it was less bad under 10.5.1 than 10.5.0. Make sure you are using the Natit kext for Leopard rather than the Tiger one. I think there is a difference, though I may be wrong. Happy to hear about your wifi card experiences. It's not a laptop without wifi, is it! Interesting about the webcam. In system profiler, what manufacturer does it say it comes from?
your problem with the OS telling you that you cant use it is because you havnt given it proper permissions.Drop in your Natit.kextthen go into terminal and do the following hitting enter after each linecd /System/Library/Extensions/ this will tell the terminal to move in to the Extensions foldersudo chown -R root:wheel Natit.kext that will prompt you for your password which as you type you will not be able to see but it is going insudo chmod -R 755 Natit.kextsudo rm -rf ../Extensions.mkextsudo rebootYour machine will restart and the new kext will be loaded, wheather that will make a difference to your prdicament i dont know but that is the proper way to install a kext.you can also use kext helper
Good call Agent Squirrel! :wacko: I used to do that but usually when I install an operating system I have usually just got back from work and am either very tired or distracted by doing three things at once. Kext helper B7 saves me from the rare typing error.

I installed Kalyway Leopard. I have no clue if my CPU is being "speed stepped". These is nothing that indicates that. Also, as others, I cannot let sleep happen or it doesn't recover. Are speed step and power management related? I assumed they were two separate features (one in kernel, one as a driver). Shutdown/boot works great.

I also swapped out my wifi card for a Broadcom (4311) and it works flawlessly. I notice no degredation compared to my previous Vista installation.

My built-in web cam worked great on install, when the OS takes your picture. After that, photobooth sees the camera but it is totally garbled.

Finally, I get mouse tearing / mouse artifacts. Others have this. I tried putting on natit but perhaps improperly as it didn't help. And OS actually told me it cannot use it.

Please, let all of us keep on these common issues and share our results. I would love to make this version near perfect. If any Acer laptop users have overcome any of these, PLEASE SHARE. Also, try to be precise and attach appropriate files. Make our lives easier.

Cheers!

It would seem that with Kalyway with the default kernel and EFI - sleep works properly on many set ups. I haven't tried it myself, mainly because installing Kalyway on a laptop with an X3100 graphics chip leads to some post install complications, resolvable if I remember correctly by plugging in an exterenal monitor and then applying the natit.kext - through either kext helper B7 or Terminal.

It would seem that with Kalyway with the default kernel and EFI - sleep works properly on many set ups. I haven't tried it myself, mainly because installing Kalyway on a laptop with an X3100 graphics chip leads to some post install complications, resolvable if I remember correctly by plugging in an exterenal monitor and then applying the natit.kext - through either kext helper B7 or Terminal.

you dont even need the external monitor, if you boot with safe mode (-x switch) it will boot at 1024x768 resolution on your laptop display, you can drop your natit in then reboot.

you dont even need the external monitor, if you boot with safe mode (-x switch) it will boot at 1024x768 resolution on your laptop display, you can drop your natit in then reboot.
Funnily I enough I popped in here to report just that - I must have been thinking back to the days of TOH RC2.

I have the same problem with Kalyway that I had the first time that I installed it - in order to boot I have to type cpus=1 each time, which is a pain. During install (having FAT32 the partition with Gparted and then journalled via Kalyway DVD's Disk Utility) I selected EFI-MBR; unless you have formated your hard drive as GUID you need to select EFI-MBR yourself because the default setting is EFI-GUID and it won't boot if you are on MBR.

I haven't had time to determine whether sleep works or try to use the speedstep package from the iATKOS DVD. I will report back later, though I suspect the Kalyway kernel won't be compatible.

Unless there is a known solution for having to type cpus=1 (and I don't mean an automated script to select cpus=1 - I want both cores) I will go back to iATKOS. Spec is a Core 2 duo Acer Extensa 5620 with GMA X3100.

Oddly, with an external monitor attached the cog freezes as it does via the laptop's screen but then continues to boot up to the desktop a few seconds later (this is without the cpus=1 command). Unfortunately the screen is completely garbled. I'm going to try adjusting resolutions to see if I can get a picture... No, no luck there. There are no options in Acers pathetically minimal bios settings.

Sleep - if the laptop is sleeping, it is a very light one. The screen just goes black and recovers instantly at the touch of the touchpad. Hmm!

Pressing the power button gives the option of Sleep but clicking on it causes the screen to go momentarily black and then the desktop to come back on.

edit: I used Pacifist to install speedstep from the iATKOS install DVD but it didn't work and finally produced error code -1774 . I would think it didn't help having only one core working.

Oddly, with an external monitor attached the cog freezes as it does via the laptop's screen but then continues to boot up to the desktop a few seconds later (this is without the cpus=1 command). Unfortunately the screen is completely garbled. I'm going to try adjusting resolutions to see if I can get a picture... No, no luck there. There are no options in Acers pathetically minimal bios settings.Sleep - if the laptop is sleeping, it is a very light one. The screen just goes black and recovers instantly at the touch of the touchpad. Hmm!Pressing the power button gives the option of Sleep but clicking on it causes the screen to go momentarily black and then the desktop to come back on.edit: I used Pacifist to install speedstep from the iATKOS install DVD but it didn't work and finally produced error code -1774 . I would think it didn't help having only one core working.
I found that one of the differences between my iATKOS partition and the Kalyway one was that the iATKOS one didn't have the Appleintigratedframebuffer.kext. Removing this from Kalway's Extensions folder and repairing permissions did the trick. No more cpus=1 - both cores work.
i have an acer 5720g with ati hd 2600 512mb . my video run without quarzt and only 256 mb ! and only 1024x768 !do you have driver for me?
Hi davidcape - Google is your best friend. Here's what I found - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=64269

Hi guys.

I have an Acer Aspire 5630 and im wondering if i should install leopard but the last time i tried to install osx (tiger) it would never boot into the os just did a little white line at the top left.

So do you think i should try?

Acer TravelMate 292LMi - Pentium M 1.5 GHz - 15" TFT - SSE2 Centrino Machine

Running JaS OSX 10.4.8 - upgraded to 10.4.9 with JaS 10.4.9 SSE3 only update and added a SSE2 compatible kernal before reboot.

Processor

Processor: Intel Pentium M 1.5 GHz

Snelheid gegevensbus: 400 MHz

Functies: Enhanced SpeedStep technology

Chipsettype: Intel 855GM

Video

Grafische processor/leverancier: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 - AGP

Videogeheugen: DDR SDRAM - 64 MB

I managed to get full resolution change, QE and CI going with functioning OpenGL. This makes games and emulators work great.

Mind you on ATI cards the system profile can show QE and CI working but in fact they still may be broken with broken OpenGL support. It is necessary to find the right Ati9700 kexts and functioning OpenGL framework to get it working on 9600 and 9700 Radeon cards (Mobility and desktop cards). The same problem arises when trying Leopard Kalyway (this release supports SSE2 cpu's).

Netwerkgebruik

Netwerkgebruik: Netwerkadapter

Draadloze LAN ondersteund: Ja

Draadloos NIC: Intel PRO/Wireless 2100BG

Protocol voor gegevenskoppeling: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Conformiteitsnormen: IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g

Network is partially working with the IWI2200 driver - which doesn't support WEP/WPA yet - to my knowledge. On board ethernet is working.

Sound needs a patched Ac97 sound kext. The one provided by JaS functions well.

I have yet to try Kalyway 10.5.1 - as it supports SSE2 machines - but the lack of Ati 9700 support is holding me back. For a 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 JaS based system this machine is an excellent choice.

I was having problems with USB.kext on 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 releases.

for detosx : thanks but i have a notebook with ati 2600 hd MOBILE!
Lol, I Googled what you wrote - ati 2600 hd - and that link is what I found. Not an ATI user, out of my depth but happy googling, I'm sure it's out there. Report back for other travellers. :)
Hi guys.I have an Acer Aspire 5630 and im wondering if i should install leopard but the last time i tried to install osx (tiger) it would never boot into the os just did a little white line at the top left.So do you think i should try?
The little white line I think indicates that the Darwin boot loader either isn't there or the partition isn't active. Acer tend to bring out two or three different versions of the same model so I'm not sure what your graphics chip is. Having used gparted to partition your hard drive and make the new space a Primary partition and FAT32, I would try iATKOS (once the installer has booted up use Disk Utility to turn that FAT32 partition into a Journalled Mac partition), just follow the instructions closely and select the appropriate Customize options (some people whizz past that button!). If you're dual booting with Vista, select X86Darwin, EFI-MBR (don't select the Vanilla kernel; selecting no kernel installs the non Vanilla kernel). You might also want to install speedstep. Google is your best friend :). I found someone who had installed brazilmac to your laptop; iATKOS is a doddle compared to that. Kalyway requires some post install messing around if your laptop has the X3100 graphics chip. In my case I had to boot into safe mode, install the Natit kext (use kext helper B7 if you are new to this) and remove Appleintigratedframebuffer.kext.

----------

I tried benchmarking iATKOS and Kalyway. Neither were using the vanilla kernel. Both were EFI-MBR. Both partitions had identical Application installs and no Applications were running during the running of xbench. I ran the test three times on each. Kalyway edged it by on average 1.4%. A fairly meaningless difference, especially as it is a weighted result of all tests run. Swings and roundabouts. iATKOS is the easier install for most people, especially if they have the GMA X3100 graphics chip. Just make sure you read the instructions, as so many people don't which caused one of the two producers to quit the project. :P

Hello, i saw this topic for acers laptops ;)

I have an aspire 5520-5679 and it have a amd thurion64 x 2, atheros wificard, 160 serial ata hd, Nvidia GeForce 7000M graphics card and chipset nForce 560 xS

By now, im not able to install leopard on my laptop :S it doesn't recognize my hd :S

What can i do? I try the leopard 10.5.1 for amd DVD but no result. Im waiting for the Rev2 of that DVD, maybe that yes will be able to detect my HD :unsure:

Anyway, if someone have a tip for me to install leopard, im listening :D

Tnx for readme

Cya!

Hello, i saw this topic for acers laptops :P

I have an aspire 5520-5679 and it have a amd thurion64 x 2, atheros wificard, 160 serial ata hd, Nvidia GeForce 7000M graphics card and chipset nForce 560 xS

By now, im not able to install leopard on my laptop :S it doesn't recognize my hd :S

What can i do? I try the leopard 10.5.1 for amd DVD but no result. Im waiting for the Rev2 of that DVD, maybe that yes will be able to detect my HD :D

Anyway, if someone have a tip for me to install leopard, im listening :thumbsup_anim:

Tnx for readme

Cya!

Hi elmercin, this thread is for Intel based Acers. AMD's use completely different architecture. The best thing to do would be set up an AMD thread, if someone hasn't already. Either way, use google - in the search line put insanelymac and which ever component you are searching for a driver for. Do them one at a time. Chances are you will find someone who has a laptop with the same spec as yours. You might try sending them a mail. Best of luck :hysterical:

Bueh, still I haven't forced my laptop to work correctly.

However I've downloaded the newest BIOS from the Acer website, and applied it under Vista (I will use it until I find what is causing that massive slowdown under Leopard).

I've checked my hard drive, it's NCQ capable and seems to pass all AHCI features.

73acj8i.jpg

My laptop motherboard uses the ICH-8M chip.

Could it be possible that the system would ran fluently on the Kalyway edition?

I'm just asking because I have a break with OSX86 because I will need my computer working for a few days. However I will return to it certianly ;)