iAtkos vs Kalyway 10.5.1

kamikaze

60 posts in this topic

i used the kalyway dvd and it worked perfectly so i won't bother with iatkos...does anyone have a screen shot of the iatkos wallpaper? i know the kalyway came with alot of stuff people don't want ( i already changed them) just curious to see what everyone is talking about...... also are we gonna be able to update to 10.5.2. with kalyway/pc efi and guid ?

Why shouldn't we ? EFI/GUID are standard Apple install deployments...

Why shouldn't we ? EFI/GUID are standard Apple install deployments...

of course.. before this kal dvd i used brazilmac/pc efi v52/mbr and i updated to 10.5.1 no problem.. i read on one of these forums that someone got their hands on 10.5.2 update and they could only update from 10.5 not 10.5.1 but that could be because it is not the official 10.5.2 release (??????? i dunno)...whatever. i also already changed the dock on my kal install... i like the ''revamped'' dock from leoparddocks.com, it is a little darker but, the little lights are just sharper...

Kalyway worked perfectly for me. Everything just works. The install was absolutely painless, and now my system (which previously was running ToH RC2 with ToH Kernel because Vanilla wouldn't work with it) is running on 100% Vanilla Kernel with EFI v8 and GUID Partition. The system runs perfectly, and after finding Laik's Virginizer, all the fugly {censored} in regards to icons and wallpapers went away. Kalyway is, without a doubt, my best experience thus far on OSX86.

Here's to hoping that now, with this system, when 10.5.2 hits, I'll be able to run Software Update without any complications. Cheers! :P

Maybe im missing something here, but where do I get to tinker with the Darwin boot script on iATKOS?.. after installing it wont boot into the OS it goes to my windows disk, and im thinking this is my problem, but I didn't see anywhere in the install to set the active partition or type "1" for disk 0 etc that everyone is talking aboutNevermind, I answered my own question..... Don't know how I missed that.

tested both.

results:

if u want headache and like troubleshooting, try IAtkos.

if u want smooth install and enjoy leopard, use kalyway.

I tend to agree with this, Yet Kaliway needs a few more thing to be considered "perfect" (see my original posts updates)

The good news is that both distributions now fit on a single layer DVD and they do include Xcode and X11 out of the box (as opposed to BrazilMac's).

Is xcode included OOTB? I installed Kalyway but couldn't find it (was actually looking for the plist editor to edit some kext files). Where can I find the xcode? Thanks!

For me iAtkos worked the best. I tried Brazil with my Leo retail disk & it didn't work(although to be fair I didn't know to set the DVD to master at that point. Somehow I got away with this with Tiger osx86), and Kalyway went in to an endless boot cycle, then when I stopped that would reboot in the middle of registration, then when I fixed THAT gave an error while booting.

iAtkos wasn't trouble free, but did actually BOOT for me and work. It does actually give me one problem - it won't boot for me unless I leave the install DVD in the drive. I know that there are some fixes for this, but at this point it WORKS so I am leaving it be. And besides, I've discovered an accidental feature this gives me - if I have the DVD IN, the system boots in to my iAtkos Leo drive, if I leave the DVD OUT it boots in to my old Tiger install(I have them on separate hard drives, so without the DVD it doesn't recognize the Leo drive as bootable & skips to the Tiger partition). Although it is a somewhat crude way of handling Leo/Tiger dual booting, it is pretty simple and effective.

I should mention that outside of some occasional strange graphics glitches & a little more fan activity than Tiger, my Hackintosh seems to work well. It even plays nice with my MacBook & iPod Touch(which has of course been jailbroken & has afp).

So to address the topic of the thread - it looks to me like both distros have their advantages, and you really have to take a look to see which one is best. For me it was iAtkos since that was the only one that worked, but you can read this thread & see that other folks have the same thing to say about Kalyway. Do an install of each & see if it works - and if one or the other does first, then maybe just stay with that.

i used toh and Kalyway and what can i say THANK U VERY MUCH Kalyway u gave us a great os. i dont mind from all the stuff u add to the os and what can i say just install it and then reboot, walla(repair permission before)fcs2 and cs3 works out without any patch or anything and it is working great...

I have installed Kalyway and iAtkos several times each, and for the most part I prefer iAtkos, BUT....

I did the install differently. I installed Netkas' EFI v8 on a GUID setup FIRST, then I installed iAtkos skipping their darwin setup (I also have not upgraded to their r2 deal). Very quick install without the clutter of Kalyway (although Kalyway is a great install too).

I do like the idea of using my own retail Leopard and installing using the second drive method. I have tried it but I am not quite there yet.

Geeze

Ps: So what's up at the Uphuck forums? Seems like somebody had a meltdown...

The Kalyway 10.5.1 w/ EFI 8 is CERTAINLY nice and not quite as 'butchered' as the 10.5.0 DVD, but I just wish Kalyway would put an option in the installer to have the customizations or a 'clean' install even w/o the extra proggies. I still have occasional problems w/ not being able to eject CDs/DVDs and Finder freezing when trying to resize windows, but it's only a minor annoyance.

10.5.0 was IMMEDIATELY thrown away when even a lot of installers would throw hissyfits. I'm currently trying my own 'clean' BrazilMac install to see if I like it better than Kalyway's.

The Kalyway 10.5.1 w/ EFI 8 is CERTAINLY nice and not quite as 'butchered' as the 10.5.0 DVD, but I just wish Kalyway would put an option in the installer to have the customizations or a 'clean' install even w/o the extra proggies.

Fully agree, what a waste.. such a great distrib spoiled with a dirty l&f

Interesting.. what does it do ? could you share more details ?

How is it different from the Virginizer ?

It restores all original icons and background. we did this cos (no offence to laik) we know what we modified on the system. Laik method kills language on No English installations, and modify the com.apple.boot.plist kiling the time count we added for having the time to press F8 at boot, and GFXString if users added it. So it is not very clean.

Furthermore , our app does not uninstall applications to let you the choice. Those one can be uninstalled easily by putting them to trash.

well first, i fell into all of the iATKOS hype and thought it was the best so for about a week i just used that...with iATKOS i had problems with darwin on the first revision of it but those problems were fixed when the ppf patch was made available, but on both revisions i had to make manual patches to both my LAN drivers and my Audio drivers...

i got bored two nights ago and downloaded kalyway and installed it and much to my surprise i had sound and lan worked perfectly fine right off the bat! also no problems with darwin either. so from my experiences if you have an ASUS P5E board, go ahead and use Kalyway it seems to have more drivers than iATKOS.

the only problem i have with kalyway is the little graphical mods they do so i had to use the kalyway virginizer and all was well.

Despite the info available I still had problems getting Kalyway installed with Guid_ EFI/Badaxe 2. The installer would freak out at the end with yellow alert. Tried the MBR_EFI install which worked ok,

Finally in the OS all the work left to do cleaning it up was kind of overwhelming.

With the exception of the Darwin boot disk number thing and having to use GParted to set the active partition I installed iAtkos, without problems. It works really well, with very little interface modification.

I'm surprised there isn't a sticky about this disk just like the Kalyway one.

Thanks for all the work bringing us both of these good releases.

It restores all original icons and background. we did this cos (no offence to laik) we know what we modified on the system. Laik method kills language on No English installations, and modify the com.apple.boot.plist kiling the time count we added for having the time to press F8 at boot, and GFXString if users added it. So it is not very clean.

Furthermore , our app does not uninstall applications to let you the choice. Those one can be uninstalled easily by putting them to trash.

Thank you, I just updated the original post along with my signature.

What I really like about your package is that 1. It's a .pkg 2. It only changes icons

By any chance, would you know where on the Disk, or on the Kalyway DVD this orange color is defined ?

I know how to change it manually.. But I would like to post a script to change the Kaliway CD and revert all the customs.

Hi!, I have a problem with spanish translation in iATKOS and Kalyway!. All look good, except the Finder and system preferences are in english.

I have downloaded the reatail leopard DVD, and extracted with pacifist the Spanish.pkg translation, installed, repaired permissions and rebooted but the problem still there

Any ideas?, thanks a lot for the help

Just now I tried to install iATKOS on my PC:

Processore:CELERON D 366

Memory:512RAM

Motherboard:ASUS P5LD2 SE

GPU:ATI A550

OS installed: XP+Ubuntu and uses easyBCD to boot them

After it start to installs, I just leave it there....Until the the half way line (about 50% of the progress) the monitor black out and PC restarted it self.

Anyone can fix for me?Or anyone else know what's the reason?

Or I should try Kalyway...this will waste me 1 more day to download and burn it out...

I dare not try to install iATKOS on my ACER laptop because I have an original vista on it...I am newbie in osx86...for safety reasonn, I choose to test on my older PC before installing on my laptop...

Hi

I am not really sure why people have such an issue of the Kalyway colour mods and speak of them like they are some sort of devils spawn corrupting the efficacy of the Apple design in all honesty I can change the colour and bits in five minutes I doubt I could put together a OSX distro in 5 months :-)

For me the Kalyway just worked with all the bells and whistles only requiring a slight bios change and a sound patch to get me fully working. After all the hype of iAtkos I was disapointed as it struggled to work on my spec and the install kept falling over, I was about to stick my patched Jas 10.4.10 drive back into the system and give up on Leopard as this has been a rock solid workhorse but Kalyway installed first time with patched kernal and with a few mods and a little bit of reading went vanilla guid on the next time round. Having installed endless operating systems over the years I was again surprised at just how easy it was to sort out for a luddite like me.

In the end hats off to both for getting the releases out the door in my book Kalyway gets the gold star as it worked for me YMMV

regards Jez

No issues with iATKOS 1.0i here. Everything worked out of the box on my setup (see signature) except for my microphone, which doesn't work in any of the 10.4 or 10.5 releases.

Kaly also installs fine on my system, but I don't like all the unnecessary software installs or the desktop theme. I can download and install things like Colloquy if I need them.

Both installed easily on my system (although if I hadn't read about the guid thing or iatkos before installation, I probably would have missed it during setup). Screensavers set to never doesn't seem to work with either on my system. Comes on after about 10 minutes of non-use. I started with Brazilmac and didn't have this problem and I've been using the full retail disk as my install disk and don't have the problem there either.

My experiences (Latitude D830 w/ NVS 140M graphics):

@BJMoose

I have also had the same Post Boot problem but with a BADAXE2 mobo. I need to hit F8 and type rd=rdisk0s1 to get a boot off my Leopard hard disk.

Can any one give us a good explaination on how to get the Darwin Bootloader to install EFI correctly on a BADAXE2 mobo ?

BJMoose , you seem to be the best MAN !!! to reply :(

1) BrazilMac: Tried this first, since I actually have a retail Leopard DVD sitting next to me, so I figured I can image it up and patch it. The patched DVD boots just fine on my laptop. I installed, but it hung right before displaying the desktop. (In retrospect, that might be because of Natit/Titan/NVInject, not knowing that under 10.5 and 10.5.1, trying to use any of these with my GPU hangs the OS). The messiness of having to manually apply PC_EFI or install patched system components turned me off of this solution though... I wanted to click, click, install, I didn't want to mess around a lot with it. (This is Mac OS, after all!)

2) Kalyway: Tried this next... wouldn't even boot on my laptop. Hung right at the beginning of the startup process. (Again, might be the GPU at fault again.) Set this one aside and moved on.

3) iATKOS: Booted right off without a problem. I stumbled for a second at the point most people have been, the Darwin_Boot script and the whole typing 1 when you want to select disk0. Then I noticed that the script actually mentions this, so I figure those who are STILL complaining about this are completely reading impaired. I selected to apply PC_EFI in this script, and it worked right off the bat. I installed the core OS plus the vanilla stuff... didn't install any of the graphics drivers (naturally) or any of the network stuff (none applied to me). The OS installed without a problem. I didn't even have to think about it... the first time that has happened for me.

So - for me, iATKOS worked amazingly. Kalyway might have worked had I a different graphics card. And BrazilMac probably would've worked too, but it was more work for me than a pre-packaged solution.

Based on what I've seen in screenshots, though, even if I could use Kalyway, I probably won't... I don't like all the tweaking that is done to that version. That sort of tweaking is the kind of thing that is a personal user preference, not something you distribute to everyone else. I want my OS as vanilla as possible, and of the pre-patched and pre-packaged distributions, that's what iATKOS delivers for the most part.