iAtkos vs Kalyway 10.5.1

kamikaze

60 posts in this topic

So after several hours of downloads I finally got my hands on the two distributions. Funnily I grabbed Kalyway before iAtkos, although its size was significantly bigger (by 1GB).

I quickly installed both to replace my home brew brazilmac like install (which by the way was working great). The good news is that both distributions now fit on a single layer DVD and they do include Xcode and X11 out of the box (as opposed to BrazilMac's).

They also fix the uuid 35 error and time machine, along with the ACL repair disk errors I was experiencing in the past. Kaliway still fail on a few SUID repair errors like:

Warning SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired!

Scary isn't it ?

From a driver point of view both distributions provide pretty much the same set of drivers to the exection of JMicron that works out of the box with Kaliway.

I found Kaliway to have a much cleaner/easier install, it will also correctly install MBR/GUID partitions and correctly set the partition active (As opposed to iAtkos). iAtkos on the end is much smaller in size - I wonder how these guys got everything (including the intro video with a new music!) in such little space.

One of the main problems I found so far with Kaliway is the amount of custom changes added to the system. Right Betterzip might be a useful addition but changing the default theme is definitely not a good idea (especially with this ugly orange background).

I will probably add more comments as other users add remarks on my notes,

For now, I tend to prefer Kalyway.. but really none of these distributions make me feel confident - and I am seriously thinking about stepping back to my home brew BrazilMac install, what do you think ?

EDIT: KALIWAY & iAtkos miss the R1000 network driver. If you experience random network lags on Asus P5 ... you will need to install this IONetwork plugin.

EDIT: The audio driver for AD1988 doesn't work with Kaliway...

EDIT: Use Dune's package to revert most changes.. http://www.mediafire.com/?9ytywbhzomf

EDIT: Alternatively, You may use the Virginizer to revert Kaliway to standard settings

One of the main problems I found so far with Kaliway is the amount of custom changes added to the system. Right Betterzip might be a useful addition but changing the default theme is definitely not a good idea (especially with this ugly orange background).

Can you be more specific on the changes? I dont want to install it if theres a bunch of weird stuff added, I want it to be as stock as possible. Is there a screenshot?

Well, considering that Kalyway worked right out the shot and iATKOS wouldn't even boot for me....Kalyway it is. :unsure:

Can you be more specific on the changes? I dont want to install it if theres a bunch of weird stuff added, I want it to be as stock as possible. Is there a screenshot?

It's really badly butchered, and I don't understand why Kalyway ruined a perfect installer with it. It's got UT-orange backgrounds in all Finder windows, a goth-themed dock replacement, and Fisher-Price looking icons. I just don't understand why this was put in, and no option to opt out of it.

This is my recommendation -

1) Get a Retail 10.5 disk (up to you how), get either of the two crappy installer disks.

2) Install either for the two hacked up distros on a 10GB spare partition, and boot into it.

3) launch the OSinstall.mpkg from your retail disk and install to your main (GUID) disk.

4) Replace the "up to half a dozen" files required to make OS boot on your hack.

5) Install netkas' PC_EFI

6) Repair Permissions.

7) Enjoy the full OS X experience with iLife 08 and as close to vanilla as possible. If you want to customise it, you can, to YOUR taste; no pseudo-goth cheese or nationalistic BS.

NB. You will need 2 drives for this, but honestly; if you are going to run the red-headed {censored} stepchild that's OSx86 on a single drive, you will get burned -sooner or later.

:2cents:

I guess I'll cancel kalyway then, I already downloaded iatkos. Does iATKOS have any of that weird stuff? Like even a custom "about this mac" apple logo? Id still like to see a screenshot of the stuff changed in kalyway.

This is my recommendation -

1) Get a Retail 10.5 disk (up to you how), get either of the two crappy installer disks.

2) Install either for the two hacked up distros on a 10GB spare partition, and boot into it.

3) launch the OSinstall.mpkg from your retail disk and install to your main (GUID) disk.

4) Replace the "up to half a dozen" files required to make OS boot on your hack.

5) Install netkas' PC_EFI

6) Repair Permissions.

7) Enjoy the full OS X experience with iLife 08 and as close to vanilla as possible. If you want to customise it, you can, to YOUR taste; no pseudo-goth cheese or nationalistic BS.

NB. You will need 2 drives for this, but honestly; if you are going to run the red-headed {censored} stepchild that's OSx86 on a single drive, you will get burned -sooner or later.

:P

Or just install TOH/Brazilmac? Brazilmac is completely untouched, ToH only has a custom installer. They arent as easy to install as these new discs but easier than doing all that.

Does iATKOS have any of that weird stuff? Like even a custom "about this mac" apple logo?

Well yes, but the red apple logo and a iAtkos logo in "About this Mac" are about the only modification. They aren't annoying in the least.

Picture_1.png

This is my iATKOS desktop. I had to download the default Leopard wallpaper, but that was no biggie.

What a messup!!

I decided to test both NEW installs on my Dell Dimension 9200 and did Kayway first, without going into too much details (cause there are'nt any!) everything installed.

I had to add my soundcard sigmatel 9227, my Wireless USB from Netopia and i was up and running! This included running in RAID mode.

NO PROBLEM!

I must add to read the instructions during the setup screens during boot up!

Then it was Iatkos's turn....

firstly had to switch my raid off, so I had to disable my main drive in order not to wipe it!

The boot setup went through with normal speed, i read the instructions, as the setup did NOT include making the drive bootable!

It had a seperate Terminal application to do this!?

This is where the mess started, if you do a diskutil list you will see your drive, mine as it had my main drive(disk0) included, was disk1, BUT you have to GUESS as the question was which HDD?!!!!

If you didn't know GUID made more than one partition, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSE TO KNOW ITS PARTITION 2!!!!!

After this mess the installation continued, but the DVD seemed to be stuck on a point for a long time without showing ANYTHING on the progrees bar (4 min 23sec) the first time i thought it wwas stuch so i rebooted then the second time, then just as I was going to reboot it, it continued! I do understand that this is because the image file is compressed? but why try and save 2GB if you are going to cut a 4,7GB DVD!?

I really thought the idea of the DVD was to help those that don't know as much as others(us, we, the inner circle) but this is a real mess if you are a normal(noobi) user!

You be the judge...... Iatkos, or Kalyway......

SticMAN

ps do Kalyway last then you are done and don't have to redo everything!!

I guess I'll cancel kalyway then, I already downloaded iatkos. Does iATKOS have any of that weird stuff? Like even a custom "about this mac" apple logo? Id still like to see a screenshot of the stuff changed in kalyway.

"About this mac" / "login" are moded, plus some cheesy flag waving by our Turkish friends; if I was Kurdish or Armenian I'd be pissed off.

Or just install TOH/Brazilmac? Brazilmac is completely untouched, ToH only has a custom installer. They arent as easy to install as these new discs but easier than doing all that.

If you use Brazilmac's patcher you will have a lot of files replaced to enable backward compatibility on older HW or non-EFI setups. Additionally, the image that the patcher works on is not the retail version, it's missing a lot of the content that retail DVDs have. Having said that, it is the method that's easiest to put back to "normal" and the extra stuff can be installed using Pacifist. (Assuming you have a retail DVD) I still think you need to have a second OSX partition to fall back on if you bork your primary one, and once you have that up and running it's a breeze to install and modify os on your main partition.

There is an important point for whom has jmicron controller on their mobos. For example I'm not able to install leopard because I was getting "still waiting for root devices" message then I downloaded kalyway and forgot about all problem. After install just simple natit and sound kext install and get everything work on my hackintosh.

Dude that shouldn't be a show stopper to install it. A background color is not that diffcult to change and it doesn't remove anything to the quality of the install itself. It's just that it is anoying to get a look and feel that is different from the bulk GM release.
I guess I'll cancel kalyway then, I already downloaded iatkos. Does iATKOS have any of that weird stuff? Like even a custom "about this mac" apple logo? Id still like to see a screenshot of the stuff changed in kalyway.Or just install TOH/Brazilmac? Brazilmac is completely untouched, ToH only has a custom installer. They arent as easy to install as these new discs but easier than doing all that.
Correct, you only get a ungly iAtkos logo in "About this Mac" , nothing terrible. Yet I found the install process to be more confusing that Kalyway. The driver selection is a real mess.That's an excellent point indeed. I'll add it in the original post

I already have a working Leopard 10.5.1 . Used ToH RC2 . Installed over a fresh copy of Tiger. Lazyman's way to make it boot. Everything works fine. My question any reason to try the new offerings or a waste of time really(I have both new versions already) ? I now have a Dual Core cpu (e2180 clocked to 3.0GHz) so I would like to try the Vanilla kernel. Maybe easier to just install EFI etc on the install I have? What do you think?

iATKOS was an easy install for me but there is a VERY critical bug in the darwin_boot script thing. When it asks me to name a disk it doesnt take the correct number...

If I enter 0 then it leaves the entry blank and goes to the partition part (which works totally normal for some reason). This causes an error since it says "s1" cannot be found.

If I enter 1 then it uses Disk0 (!!)

If I enter 2 then it uses Disk1

I came very close to ruining a HDD, but I caught it in time while it asked if I wanted to install EFI (I just quit terminal). I was able to install on Disk0s1 by telling it to do Disk1s1... People better pay attention to what it says its installing on.

Other than that it worked fine.

I got it back to pretty much stock by doing these simple steps:

- Replaced the iATKOS logo thing (if you need the default silver apple logo look here)

- Uninstalled the CPU thing in the Preferences.

- Downloaded the Aurora wallpaper, put it in the Nature folder and replaced it with the "DefaultDesktop.jpg" file in /system/library/coreservices so that it would use that background at the login screen.

- Edited /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist for the added text in "about this mac"

Thats all that I can tell was changed. Overall it was a very easy install and didnt take long even with editing the custom stuff.

The only weird thing is that theres no serial number. I thought if you used EFI it would always display a serial?

I got it back to pretty much stock by doing these simple steps:

- Replaced the iATKOS logo thing (if you need the default silver apple logo look here)

- Uninstalled the CPU thing in the Preferences.

- Downloaded the Aurora wallpaper, put it in the Nature folder and replaced it with the "DefaultDesktop.jpg" file in /system/library/coreservices so that it would use that background at the login screen.

- Edited /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist for the added text in "about this mac"

Thats all that I can tell was changed. Overall it was a very easy install and didnt take long even with editing the custom stuff.

Good stuff. The iATKOS modifications are annoying a lot of people. You could post this in the Genius Bar or start a new topic here.

I already have a working Leopard 10.5.1 . Used ToH RC2 . Installed over a fresh copy of Tiger. Lazyman's way to make it boot. Everything works fine. My question any reason to try the new offerings or a waste of time really(I have both new versions already) ? I now have a Dual Core cpu (e2180 clocked to 3.0GHz) so I would like to try the Vanilla kernel. Maybe easier to just install EFI etc on the install I have? What do you think?

Waste of time, just add EFI (you'll want v6) and you'll be sorted. Ignore EFI v8 GUID, it's totally unnecessary for you.

My experiences (Latitude D830 w/ NVS 140M graphics):

1) BrazilMac: Tried this first, since I actually have a retail Leopard DVD sitting next to me, so I figured I can image it up and patch it. The patched DVD boots just fine on my laptop. I installed, but it hung right before displaying the desktop. (In retrospect, that might be because of Natit/Titan/NVInject, not knowing that under 10.5 and 10.5.1, trying to use any of these with my GPU hangs the OS). The messiness of having to manually apply PC_EFI or install patched system components turned me off of this solution though... I wanted to click, click, install, I didn't want to mess around a lot with it. (This is Mac OS, after all!)

2) Kalyway: Tried this next... wouldn't even boot on my laptop. Hung right at the beginning of the startup process. (Again, might be the GPU at fault again.) Set this one aside and moved on.

3) iATKOS: Booted right off without a problem. I stumbled for a second at the point most people have been, the Darwin_Boot script and the whole typing 1 when you want to select disk0. Then I noticed that the script actually mentions this, so I figure those who are STILL complaining about this are completely reading impaired. I selected to apply PC_EFI in this script, and it worked right off the bat. I installed the core OS plus the vanilla stuff... didn't install any of the graphics drivers (naturally) or any of the network stuff (none applied to me). The OS installed without a problem. I didn't even have to think about it... the first time that has happened for me.

So - for me, iATKOS worked amazingly. Kalyway might have worked had I a different graphics card. And BrazilMac probably would've worked too, but it was more work for me than a pre-packaged solution.

Based on what I've seen in screenshots, though, even if I could use Kalyway, I probably won't... I don't like all the tweaking that is done to that version. That sort of tweaking is the kind of thing that is a personal user preference, not something you distribute to everyone else. I want my OS as vanilla as possible, and of the pre-patched and pre-packaged distributions, that's what iATKOS delivers for the most part.

i used the kalyway dvd and it worked perfectly so i won't bother with iatkos...does anyone have a screen shot of the iatkos wallpaper? i know the kalyway came with alot of stuff people don't want ( i already changed them) just curious to see what everyone is talking about...... also are we gonna be able to update to 10.5.2. with kalyway/pc efi and guid ?

Theres no wallpaper at all, its just a blue background. For a very bizarre reason the Aurora wallpaper was deleted from iATKOS, maybe it was a mistake but I dont know how you could miss it and I cant see any logic in doing it intentionally... so who knows. The login and setup screen wallpaper is actually the ancient Jaguar blue background, since thats the one that was put in CoreServices instead of the default Leopard one. And you can see what "about this mac" looks like on uphuck.com

I dont think anything else was changed. It comes with a nice dock utility that lets you change the dock between 2d/3d and 3 "custom" ones, it doesnt force a custom dock on you like kalyway.