How do you say the "X" in OS X?

How do you say the "X" in OS X?  

1,860 members have voted

1. 1. How do you say the "X" in OS X?

• X...as in the letter.
    • 10...as in the number.

300 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
As weird as it might be, I usually say "Ten" when talking in english, and "X" when talking in portuguese. Don't ask why, I guess "Mac OS Dez" sounds really bad (Dez being the portuguese word for Ten). :(

well, its a name, you should say "ten" regardless of the language you're speaking

Ok... first of all i have to agree with davesacre... but I think this has to be the second time I voted on this poll... I don't think that is suppose to be possible.

Secondly, This fourm is over a year old... and no one sung it happy birthday!

Well, since no other previous versions of the Mac OS used Roman numerals, I don't call it "10," I say X as the letter.

It's kinda like "Rambo 2" when there never was a "Rambo 1" etc... the first movie was called "First Blood" so... just extrapolate on it.

If they really wanted it to be known as OS 10 then it should have been called such, but they were banking on the 'coolness factor' of anything with "X" in the title - and it seems to have paid off in spades for them.

Steve Jobs always says 10, and on the Panther promotional video there are tons of 10-s. I used to say Os X - it really sounds cooler, but it's sort of logical to say 10 - you know Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, Mac OS 10. Or maybe Apple should return to their System versions - System software 10.4.6, Finder 10.4... you know, for the good old times!

there is no "logic" in saying 10 or X. or i should say there is some logic in both of them. i think somebody all ready sead and i agree that in that time X was important letter in that time. everybody used it. osx is something totally different from os9 so i prefer to call it os ex

how do u say for xXx movie? triple 10 :(

steave jobs knows {censored} :)

its OS EX

:)

how do u say for xXx movie? triple 10

It seems many here would have you believe xXx movie would be THIRTY! Or maybe ONE THOUSAND!

I was gonna go with "ex," because, dammit, if Apple wanted it said "ten," they'd have put 10! i.e. OS 10.

Roman numerals are mainly used on the copyright dates of tv programs, and super bowl numbers, generation names like Willington James Kennedy IV and things of that nature. This, however, tends to disprove my theory, since you say "Super Bowl 30," and "Willington James Kennedy the fourth," and "Copyright 1998"

So, although I think technically it should be called "ten," I'm sticking with "ex" because it's shorter to say "oh-ess-ex" than "oh-ess-ten." I save 1 letter by sticking with "ex." :(

On a serious note, I say OS "ex" because that is what I interpreted it as when I saw the logo. Simple as that. I knew it meant 10, but I see no 10 on their massive ads and things, so "ex" is for me.

• 3 weeks later...
It's a sad commentary on the state of the world when "sounding cool" is more important than being correct. :o

Very sad indeed, so you really think that nearly 3000 years of poetry have been a real waste of time as poets have always preferred "good sounding" and "cool" words to plain being correct, I guess you prefer to read the comments on literature than literature itself, nothing wrong.

I speak good latin (you have to learn it in Italian schools, It's a compulsory waste of time) so that X don't look weird to me, but I say "Ex" for the same poetical reason that I think made Apple select that name: It's a good symbolic expression which tells you in a glance: It's 10, it's Unix, It's new and different.

OS X is designed after UNIX is nearly another Linux flavor, a comercial one, so yes that why the X stands for... Do you really think OS X 10.1 is the Same OS as OS X 10.4 ? and WHY say OS X 10.4 if X is TEN it should say OS X.4 and thats horrible...

Steve caill it TEN ok, but its because he doesnt designed the name he was after OS 10 when it was in the design board when marketing guys suggested X. So he keep calling it that was in the same way we keep calling Conroe "Conroe" instead of Core Duo 2.

Cheers

OS X is designed after UNIX is nearly another Linux flavor, a comercial one, so yes that why the X stands for... Do you really think OS X 10.1 is the Same OS as OS X 10.4 ? and WHY say OS X 10.4 if X is TEN it should say OS X.4 and thats horrible...

Cheers

s

Os/x is Darwin which is BSD which is Unix, (Linux is NOT Unix) S.Jobs had it in his pocket as NextStep when he came back to save Apple from the disasters Commercial and Marketing guys had made, nearly killing the Company. There is the break-point I think: os/9 was an old guy in bad conditions, no match for NT, so they wanted to make clear that os/X (os/10) was no son of os/9. It's NeXtstep son (here the X again). I think Marketing people is thinking: X is good 'cause it's widely used for NEW and Last, X is NO-good because it's widely used for experimental. Here the contradictions.

• 2 weeks later...

I say Mac OS "EX" even though I know it's wrong... I find it funny that most people call it the wrong thing... It says on wikipedia that it's 10, and I think that's how Steve Jobs says it, so it's probably 10.