Change icons in Acronis OS Selector?

94 posts in this topic

Did the tools give any error messages? If there was any error and an error message was given, then the icons were not replaced.

If there was an error message, tell me which one, tell me what was written.

2127? Do you mean 2117? English version?

If you are not using Acronis Disk Director 10.0.2117, english version, then the tools for Method 0 and 1 won't work. You'll have to use Method 3 (or wait for a more universal tool to come later, sorry for delay).

Yes, it should.

What kind of error do you get when you apply the tool? Do you receive an error message?

Is it one of these:

1. "The file 'ossmain.exe' couldn't be found."
  2. "The file 'ossmain.exe' does not have the proper MD5 checksum."
  3. "No files were found to process in the folder."
  4. "The files 'ossmain.beg' and 'ossmain.zip' are already in the folder. Do a clean up and begin again."
  5. "The new file 'ossmain.exe' has been created.
    You can now place it in the hidden BOOTWIZ folder in the partition where you installed Acronis OS Selector, and reboot.
    The original ossmain.exe has been renamed ossmain.ex_."
  6. "For unknown reasons the process wasn't successfull."
  7. "The file 'split.exe' has not been found in the folder."
  8. "The file 'zip.exe' has not been found in the folder."

Do you get any error text message at all?

Be explicit and detailed. Or try Method 3.

I get this message: "The new file 'ossmain.exe' has been created.

You can now place it in the hidden BOOTWIZ folder in the partition where you installed Acronis OS Selector, and reboot.

I not get any error, everything proced without problems, but to replace the ossmain.exe by the than the tool generate just doesn't work, without errors.

But thanks cbmkgd, i gave up. I updated for the version 2,160 and i go wait for a new universal tool.

Thanks by everything.

Just a question: when you say "icon wasn't replaced", what do you mean?

Because you see, you have to go select the "OS/2" icon in the OS options in AOSS, which should now be an osx icon.

Did you try that when you were on 2117, or where you just expecting that the icon for "Unknown OS" would change? It doesn't work that way.

cbmkgd, when start the acronis os selector in the boot, i go in the properties of the OS X partition and i try change the icon, when i select OS/2 icon it still is with the old icon. I was trying change the OS/2 icon not the Unknown System icon. :(

I not know how i can explain better, with 2117 i tried all methods without success, without errors messages and without icons changed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Seems like the newer OS selector doesn't use the icons within ossmain.exe anymore. I have replaced them manually with every possible method with no luck The OS2 icons still show up with no errors. I also edited oss_inst.exe, this is the file ossmain.exe is stored before OS selector installation (C:\Program files\Acronis\Acronis Disk Director). There are 2 sets of the same icon files. One set in the embedded zip of oss_inst.exe and one inside the zip of ossmain.exe which is inside the zip of oss_inst.exe. To make it clear, oss_inst.exe has both the icon files PLUS ossmain.exe included.

I couldn't find other exe files containing any zip with our desired png files... Hope somebody notices something I didn't.... I bet they changed it after reading this forum, maybe they don't want to mess around with Apple's law experts.

With the 2160 build, I have encountered two problems (one of them alluded in a previous post from some months ago, along with the solution): 1) one is that the modified loader won't work right away, showing an error message right from the start; 2) the second one is about that problem you've experienced with the logo. The two may be related (see below).

I can't pinpoint the origin of those two problems, nor explain why the 'solution' I'll give below worked (and I do hope it works for you); I've noticed 32kB files like x1.bin, x2.bin, etc appear after an install and then a recovery, but they don't seem to contain any cached icons.

Also, I've not been able to reproduce this (mis)behavior consistently, since many other tests have resulted in no problems at all, working from the get go.

Because of these two issues, I have not released the newer compiled patcher, as it would tend to give the illusion or promise that all should work ok in all cases at all times. Since we can't expect documentation from Acronis about the inner workings of their bootmanager, and since they've consistently failed to provide users with customizable icon sets or some sort of SDK, I can only leave people to try by themselves with the manual method, which I see some have been doing already.

The
solution
that has always given me success with the 2160 build is this:
  1. Boot from the Acronis Bootable CD;

2. then select
    "Acronis OS Selector Activator"
    ;

3. then continue to click the
    Activate
    button.

In my case, after this procedure, I don't get any of the aforementioned problems.

Also, I always got less problems in the past when installing AOSS in a non-system partition, e.g. in a small primary or logical (FAT32) partition; and this recommendation still applies for build 2160: in all cases where I've had no problems with the old icons or the error message, AOSS was in a fat32 non-system partition. I'm not saying the above two problems won't appear in that case; it's just a personal observation on about a dozen various installations of AOSS.

There are two places where OS Selector can load, as i described on page 2:

• from the bootwiz folder on the partitition where you selected to install OS Selector, with ossmain.exe, which is the one invoked at boot time.
  • from the DiskDirector install folder (or one of the subfolder), with the file OS_Selector.exe, which is invoked within Windows.

Since usually I only install AOSS (from the bootable cd), I don't have much occasion to mess with this second one, although I've tested it works on that one too.

I don't know from where AOSS can get the older OS/2 icons after patching them out. Maybe it's from the backup exe that was made, and somehow AOSS can access it: once, I did get the old icons problem, so I deleted the original backed-up ossmain and rebooted... only to get then the first problem mentioned at the beginning of this post. After re-activating AOSS with the acronis boot cd, all was ok afterwards.

But how could aoss find the backed up ossmain.exe? It's a system file, so maybe the original was still pointed at by the mft? I don't think so, very strange...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi CBMKGD, i tried more early replace the icon in acronis os selector without success, but today i installed Win Vista and Acronis v10 build 2160 and i'd like know, if you've something than works with vista and 2160 build of Acronis OS Selector.

Cheers. :P

• 3 months later...
With the 2160 build, I have encountered two problems (one of them alluded in a previous post from some months ago, along with the solution): 1) one is that the modified loader won't work right away, showing an error message right from the start; 2) the second one is about that problem you've experienced with the logo. The two may be related (see below).

I can't pinpoint the origin of those two problems, nor explain why the 'solution' I'll give below worked (and I do hope it works for you); I've noticed 32kB files like x1.bin, x2.bin, etc appear after an install and then a recovery, but they don't seem to contain any cached icons.

Also, I've not been able to reproduce this (mis)behavior consistently, since many other tests have resulted in no problems at all, working from the get go.

Because of these two issues, I have not released the newer compiled patcher, as it would tend to give the illusion or promise that all should work ok in all cases at all times. Since we can't expect documentation from Acronis about the inner workings of their bootmanager, and since they've consistently failed to provide users with customizable icon sets or some sort of SDK, I can only leave people to try by themselves with the manual method, which I see some have been doing already.

The
solution
that has always given me success with the 2160 build is this:
  1. Boot from the Acronis Bootable CD;

2. then select
    "Acronis OS Selector Activator"
    ;

3. then continue to click the
    Activate
    button.

In my case, after this procedure, I don't get any of the aforementioned problems.

Also, I always got less problems in the past when installing AOSS in a non-system partition, e.g. in a small primary or logical (FAT32) partition; and this recommendation still applies for build 2160: in all cases where I've had no problems with the old icons or the error message, AOSS was in a fat32 non-system partition. I'm not saying the above two problems won't appear in that case; it's just a personal observation on about a dozen various installations of AOSS.

There are two places where OS Selector can load, as i described on page 2:

• from the bootwiz folder on the partitition where you selected to install OS Selector, with ossmain.exe, which is the one invoked at boot time.
  • from the DiskDirector install folder (or one of the subfolder), with the file OS_Selector.exe, which is invoked within Windows.

Since usually I only install AOSS (from the bootable cd), I don't have much occasion to mess with this second one, although I've tested it works on that one too.

I don't know from where AOSS can get the older OS/2 icons after patching them out. Maybe it's from the backup exe that was made, and somehow AOSS can access it: once, I did get the old icons problem, so I deleted the original backed-up ossmain and rebooted... only to get then the first problem mentioned at the beginning of this post. After re-activating AOSS with the acronis boot cd, all was ok afterwards.

But how could aoss find the backed up ossmain.exe? It's a system file, so maybe the original was still pointed at by the mft? I don't think so, very strange...

I have Acronis DiskDirector 10.0 build 2160, what are the strings you have to look for as i have used all the hex editors in here to try and do it my self be grateful if you could PM me with which strings i need to find and how to do it. Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hi all ,

i have a question about acronis os selector . and i hope some one can explain it to me .

i need to disable the right click in the main menu , in other words , just 2 os and shutdown button ,

no right click . can i do that ?

thanks regards .

hi every body ,

please i have a little question here , i have acronis os selctor , with vista and leopard installed . all working fine ,when my pc start os selector load and ask

me to start vista or leopard in graphical ui , i run it in full screen mode and customized icon for leopard , but when i right click or press the right click

button in my keyboard its show a menu "boot , edit, delete . . . " .

my qestion is : as i customized my icon can i disable this right click menu ? so all i can do in this screen is choose which operating system to start

or shut down , no other option . and another thing . is shutdown button working ? because i think its not working , when i press it , it give me long beep .

thanks , regards .

• 1 year later...

would just like to thank cbmkgd for all his input on getting this program edited (icons and background image)

it really does make a wunderful boot up menu :) makes it very professional )

i also cold'nt find the string (pkzip header) in my hex editor entill i used the XVI32 program ya suggested/posted up ?

(i was using HexWorkshop, not sure why that would'nt find it, kept saying that the hex string supplied wasnt a even number !?)

anyhows all sorted now

again thankyou :) ... Mick ....

• 6 months later...

Anyone else having problems edditng icons in the newer build v10.2239

after edit i get "unable to execute" etc ...

tried to re-acivate with CD but stays the same ....

wundered if any1 else has had problems, or confirm this build working ... ?

( i have to use 2239, as v10.2160 just does not see the AHCI drives properly and get "configuation file error" it even stops CD from booting etc ! )

EDIT EDIT

Alls ok, it can be edited. Seems as it could be more sensitive ? or this version of WinRAR ?

as it seems ok if you re-create the ZIP file , and not 'update' it ....

but alls ok now :) thanks for all the other support in this thread!

EDIT EDIT

• 10 months later...