U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
Goddamn Filefactory................ARGHHH

http://rapidshare.de...ssmain.zip.html

BTW cbmkgd, look there is nothing wrong with your guides. Ppl like me are just too lazy

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Thanks, works now. i'll test it later =)

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

BTW cbmkgd, look there is nothing wrong with your guides. Ppl like me are just too lazy

Modifications were not directed at you.
Who knows who'll come in a month or later, and want something less complicated.
And I think I can make it better.

I have now added a simpler method with two batch files that handle scripts for the xvi32 editor: just double-clicks, that should do it? :graduated:

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Your method doesnt work :blink: I got the same md5, when i click aosplit i need to type Y/N so i do Y.
Afters this XVI32 pops op with a error: Error reading ossbeg.000 Error 2: File not found, then i click OK.
Then i get a error: Error in line number 1: ADR $280880 Can't go to adress: $280880. I'm i doing something wrong here?

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • I just tested again with those batch files with xvi32: worked well in Win2000 and WinXP. Hadn't tested in Win98se, but now I did and can confirm the batch file aosplit.bat isn't liked by win98se. I don't know what went wrong in your case though, sorry, I can't reproduce those error messages.
  • Nevertheless I wasn't satisfied myself with all those batch files, nor with xvi32.
    So I finally replaced them with a little utility I compiled, which I put in Method1. Go back have a look.
    In this case, just unpack the new zip and put ossmain.exe in the same folder as the two executables. Follow instructions in the readme file.
    This time, I've tested this in Win98se also, as well as Win2000/XP, successfully.
    And there's better error checking than in simple batch files.

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
Thanks a lot cbmkgd for the little utility described in method 1.

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Has been fun.

Now there's a Method 0, still simpler: double-click, and that's it, if my icons in the menu is the only change wanted.

kHz

kHz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
has anyone tried Reshacker yet?

it seems that it would be easier than dealing with all that hex mumbo jumbo

i would download acronis os selector again and try it but i have no reason for it for now

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Reshacker applies to 32bit executables; ossmain.exe isn't in that category. Even if it worked, it would extract the zip itself, on which you would then have to work, then re-embed. The icons are not mere image files directly embeded in the exe. The zip file is decompressed on execution, and its contained resources then used.

If there is already an utility out there that can easily handle/extract the zip file, or even work on it directly from the exe, then that would be great.

About that 'hex mumbo jumbo': this was in an early stage, and there has been many edits since then, culminating in the first two methods (0 and 1) you see.
At first I just wanted to deliver the knowledge of where the stuff was, for more knowledgeable (sp?) programmers and talented artists to work on. Only later did I create batch files, then executables, to handle the stuff. And I especially wanted to avoid posting w@rez links on this board.
So if one wants to avoid the 'mumbo jumbo', then one should use Method 0 and Method 1 which don't require the user to use hex editor/adresses (and they even check the md5 for him!)

I leave the other methods there because they can be used as templates for future versions, if Acronis doesn't furnish customizations then.
Also, I think it's better to leave the knowledge about how it was done, rather than just furnish a utility that do things nobody knows what; this way, the procedure can be adapted and bettered by anyone.
Think of it as open source ;) : if you just want the software, just download the binary; if you want to modify or know how it works, download also the source. Same here: just use Methods 0 or 1 if you just want to do the modifications; explore the other Methods if you want to go further.

EricJD

EricJD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thanks guys, I got it workin.

luxmen

luxmen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
WOUAAA :-) :)

I'm so HAPPY

Thx a lot for that cbmkgd

I use your method 0 and it Work SO FINE !!!

I've just one question :

Is ot possible to translate text in Fullscreen mode ?
I'm french, and i just would like to change operating systems by other text or delet completly..and Turn off computer by other text...

Possible for You to Help me ?

Thx for all :-) with U, my system is beautifull

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Checking in the xml files, maybe something can be done about the text "operating systems"; but not so sure about the "turn off" button. I'll do some tests later.
Je t'en donnerai des nouvelles/I'll get back to you.

If you can get your hands on a localized/french version that might solve part of your problem; but you would have to try method3 then...

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Ok, was able to change Operating Systems to Systme d'exploitation in the ossmain.xml file within the zip package; it's on lines 94-96, and those lines have to be changed to:

<group xmlns:acronis="http://www.acronis.com/XSL" name="group_os" title="Systemes d'exploitation" verb="group_os">

i.e. you only change the content of title=...
Method 1 has to be used here though.

As for Turn off computer, it is unfortunately written in ossmain.msg which contains many strings pertaining to the GUI. It IS possible to change those strings, and was able to change the one you mentioned with teindre Systme. I say unfortunate because one must use caution here: the lenght of the changed string might have to be of less or equal amount of characters than the ones to replace. You'll notice my translation is shorter than the original (in fact, i've padded the difference with spaces so the length is exactly the same). The other problem is that characters (including spaces) are separated with nulls, so you have to use an hex editor an be carefull only to edit the non-null bytes (I think so: I haven't tried testing how accurate are my above apprehensions).
I've also managed to change the string Select the operating system to boot to Slectionner le systme dsir, which appear in full screen mode when none is chosen. Again, translation suffered from length limitation.
In fact, one could do a lenghty translation just by changing all the string in ossmain.msg. Which I won't do of course! Again I'd propose rather to get a french version at this place for example. Too bad all these strings were not put in xml files with a modern gui that refers to them: would have been easier for localisation.

luxmen

luxmen

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
SO COOL,

Many Thanks cbmkgd....i'm very happy !!

I go to try to change the Turn off computer file... but i'm no sure i can... (newb in hex editor)

big ThX to u !

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
I had success using Method 3 with AOSS 9.0.524, so I edited the methods post to reflect this.
Also removed now unnecessary mentions of pirated version of aoss.
Might eventually replace the utilities with more universal ones (no md5/version check) if I have more time.

soccerdude21490

soccerdude21490

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
so I ahve the exact same version as you guys all have, and I have YET to find ossmain.exe! I've looked all over my harddrive, and searched everywhere... I even uninstalled and resinstalled and still nothing

anyone help?

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Do a search, and make sure it searches for hidden files/folders.

BTW, already have something done for newer 2160 version, but encountered a little glitch. Will be done soon though.

snakeman

snakeman

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hey can we get it to work on 64bit versions of windows(XP/Vista) also! I had no success with either. But your methods worked great with MCE 2005!

snakeman

Edited by snakeman, 15 March 2007 - 08:44 PM.

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
I don't think Acronis Disk Director is installable in a 64bit os yet.

Have you tried installing AOSS from the Acronis Bootable Media? You'd need to install acronis disk director first of course: seems like a vicious circle, but in fact you could do that in a virtual 32bit winxp (eg in vmware, or free ms virtualpc). Once disk director is installed there, you create the bootable media, you burn it, then reboot on that cd.

You could then install aoss in its a small fat32 partition containing no os (eg a small logical partition). AOSS bootmanager itself doesn't need a host os.

AcidRain9

AcidRain9

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
any luck with the 2160 version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy