93 replies to this topic

EricJD

EricJD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hi,

I just set up Acronis OS Selector for booting between OSx86 and WinXP Pro.

Is there a way to add a custom Apple icon for this?

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
Acronis states that you will not be able to customize the icon. Just a hunch, but if you decompile the exe file, you might be able to change it there.

jbjonas

jbjonas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 ;-) <br />Networking<br />VW<br />Electronica<br />Cosmol...
I also wanted change the icon in my Acronis OS Selector for OS X from the ugly generic unknown system icon... If anyone finds an easy way to do this, please let us know. Or perhaps some instruction on how to decompile the program and edit it's internal icon files. (I've never attempted anything like that before)
Thanks

digicide

digicide

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I checked... None of the icons are in any of the files located in the program files/acronis directories. I looked around for a while trying to see what dll's acronis might be hiding them in, but i gave up...

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts
I checked.

I found that all the icons are in the main ossmain.exe executable (4.25MB).
They are packed all together in one big 1.75MB zip file at the end of the exe!
This might explain why it's so slooooow to load.

I extracted, then unpacked the zip file: 2.37MB of files in which there are 220 png files totalling 1.4MB; the rest consist of 5 small xml files, 2 afm font files, some .dat database and a few other files.

Of course the OS icons are in there, but so are all png files for the help section available within the loader.

For the OS icons, they come in sets of 3: 16x48pix, 32x96pix and 48x144pix (all 32bpp), each of these consisting of 3 stacked squares (eg three 16x16 squares on top of each other) (probably to represent different push states)... don't think i'm allowed to show one here.

I'm no big expert, but since this is one big zip package inside the exe, would it be possible to modify some particular images files (eg OS/2, Turbolinux icons), keeping the same names, and making sure the final rezipped file has the exact same size, and then reinserting at the end of the exe... ?
Unless of course a crc check is done within...

On the Acronis forum, the mods said that it might be an option in a future version, but no promises...
So might be safer to wait.

:D

/edit: pixels, not bits! :)

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
Umm how do i get that zip file out

EDIT: Got it out......Modifying

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • 1,958 posts
In the mean time we can edit the bootmenu_logo.png to whatever we want :hysterical:. Maybe some talented person can create a classy logo with Linux, OS X, and Windows? If loading is too slow, might want to disable cd booting on the app.

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • 2,080 posts
I modified the OS2 Logo. Now to try it out

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Sorry for not giving the hex address, but that surely differs with versions of AOSS.
Glad to see you got it anyway :(

And thanks domino for tip about cd booting, will try it out.

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • 2,080 posts
OK I need the exact HEX Address. Is it 0x00227973?. If I extract it form here onwards, and i try to replace icon_sys_os2_48.png it says the archive is corrupt.

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Firstly, the md5 of my ossmain.exe is: 483ea6ea1eede6ecba2e65fb0a2c90ce
The begining of the zip in this one is then: 0x00280880
The resulting exported zip file has this md5: 7e37245df5360b693151587b4d921863

For those who also want to try:
Make a copy of ossmain.exe.
With this copy in your hex editor, extract/export from the above address until the end to a file named e.g. resources.zip. Then unzip in a folder to view and work with the files. If there's a message about a corrupted zip, then there was a problem extracting.

If you have a different executable (other version), I don't know if the pattern is the same, i.e. if they put the zip at the end. Anyways, here's what to do if they did: search for this hex string from the start of the file: 50 4B 03 04
For me this was the begining of the zip (begining at the "50 4B", which is the "PK" header of the zip). There are other such strings later, but you have to extract/export from the first one until the end to a zip file.

Once extracted, one could edit/replace eg the os/2 icons into Apple icons, with the same filename, and rezip. The Acronis people used Adobe ImageReady to make the double-state icons.
(There are some xml files containing a list of these icon filenames... so one could also change the filename of icons and edit the list... maybe...)

Of course the zip will be a different size. One could try different zip compression settings to get the same size; or just insert a dummy file whose size is adjusted until the zip is the same size.
But then again, since the zip is at the very end of the exe, only its start address might be important; but I wouldn't take the chance.
Of course the zip will have a different checksum, and if there is an integrity check it's game over.

I'll do my own tests in vmware this weekend when i have more time.

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Ok, some results:
Having a modified zip of different size replacing the original at the end of the ossmain.exe doesn't trigger anything so far, so that's good news!
As a later test I slightly modified the os/2 icons (change in colors, etc) and all went well. All tests in vmware.

I've picked up some apple icons here and there from google-images to work with.
Screen shots later tomorrow...

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
What version of acronis are you guys running?
because i cant find a exe called ossmain in my acronis folder in program files
or am i looking in the wrong place?

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • 2,080 posts
its in the BOOTWIZ folder on the drive Acronis Boot Loader is installed

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Well, I've made some not too clean but not too bad icons for osx on acronis oss. Could be better.

Here's some edited screenshots from vmware:

Attached File  acronosx1.jpg   25.19KB   893 downloads

Attached File  acronosx2.jpg   38.3KB   525 downloads

Not obvious from these pics, but the icons are a bit different whether the os is selected or not.

This next one is for the full screen menu:

Attached File  acronosx3.jpg   16.35KB   840 downloads

That big acronis logo has got to go :lol:
Will check the xml, maybe something can be done about the colors too.
Hopefully, acronis will let users costumize the looks/logos on a future version.

Cyman

Cyman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Not bad. I'd also like to change the icons, but I'd rather use one of these beautiful Apple logos:

Attached Files

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
I was a first shot I made quickly: used a simple black apple as a bump map. Didn't try anything fancy.

I have those two you show.
The first one I like also, it is a thin semi-transparent blueish layer over the white background. Reduced to 48x48, not sure would show as nice.

Second one wouldn't make much impact on the blue background fullscreen background, but a nice white-ish glow just outside the apple may make the necessary contrast, like the "DOS" icon you see in the images but not as harsh. Working on it.

Then of course a nice "OSx86" just in the middle would be nice.

For each size (16, 32, 48) one needs three icons: one for the normal state, one for the selected state, and a third one in grayscale which could be a bump map, don't know its purpose.

domino

domino

Retired

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

That big acronis logo has got to go :)
Will check the xml, maybe something can be done about the colors too.

See if replacing the bootmenu_logo.png under the app root dir helps.

pauℓzurrr.

pauℓzurrr.

Paul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
Could somebody email me that .zip file i tryed it with a hex editor but i didnt worked out.

cbmkgd

cbmkgd

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
Well, a better look with the blue apple above; no need for a white halo:

Selected state:
Attached File  acro1a.png   51.38KB   519 downloads

Unselected state:
Attached File  acro2a.png   15.6KB   344 downloads

By itself, without the 'default' square:
Attached File  acro5a.png   4.52KB   225 downloads

And here's the full screen, with acronis boot logo modified:
Attached File  acro6.jpg   31.74KB   716 downloads

Here are the png's I used:
Attached File  icon_sys_os2_16.png   1.95KB   205 downloadsAttached File  icon_sys_os2_32.png   5.02KB   211 downloadsAttached File  icon_sys_os2_48.png   9.48KB   189 downloads

"Could somebody email me that .zip file i tryed it with a hex editor but i didnt worked out."

You'll have to put it back in anyway. To manage to get it out is a first good step.
Did you find the place where it's located? What exact version of acronis os selector do you have?
What hex editor are you using?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy