[TEST]Desktop GMA950 Driver, full QE/CI/resolution change/no artifact

JamesD

11 posts in this topic

1. Introduction.

You can skip to part 2 if you want to. The solution has been provided by someone else, but not very detailed. You might be missing something that makes it didn't work on your hack. I'm here to provide a step-by-step guide, so read it carefully. And i want to know how many of you get it working. so that i'll know if this method is system-specific or it's universal to everyone.

2. What you Need

a. Leopard 10.5.1 Update

b. Knowledge of how to install 10.5.1 update on your Hackintosh

c. a 4:3 monitor (this method doesn't seem to be working on widescreen monitor)

3. Step by Steps

a. update to 10.5.1, even if you are already using 10.5.1, install the update again.

b. restore all the kexts and kernel you need, LEAVE every kexts regarding GMA950 & AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext ORIGINAL

c. reboot, in the mean time decide which resolution does your monitor recommand. for me on a 17" sony display, it's 1280x1024

[from what i know, it worked on 1280x1024 but failed on wide screen resolutions. anyway, worth a try. it WON'T mess up your system]

d. press F8 when boot up, type and replace 1280x1024 with UR OWN RESOLUTION

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024@60"

so it's an axe not a asterisk between the two numbers, and a shift-2 @ sign before the 60. don't mistype!

e. if you're having the desired resolution in your system, then please reply and tell us what's the model of your mobo. if you failed, we hope you still have the courtesy to tell us.

Thank you. It might help a LOT of people.

1. Introduction.

You can skip to part 2 if you want to. The solution has been provided by someone else, but not very detailed. You might be missing something that makes it didn't work on your hack. I'm here to provide a step-by-step guide, so read it carefully. And i want to know how many of you get it working. so that i'll know if this method is system-specific all it's universal to everyone.

2. What you Need

a. Leopard 10.5.1 Update

b. Knowledge of how to install 10.5.1 update on your Hackintosh

c. a monitor

3. Step by Steps

a. update to 10.5.1, even if you are already using 10.5.1, install the update again.

b. restore all the kexts and kernel you need, LEAVE every kexts regarding GMA950 & AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext ORIGINAL

c. reboot, in the mean time decide which resolution does your monitor recommand. for me on a 17" sony display, it's 1280x1024

[from what i know, it worked on 1280x1024 but failed on wide screen resolutions. anyway, worth a try. it WON'T mess up your system]

d. press F8 when boot up, type and replace 1280x1024 with UR OWN RESOLUTION

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024@60"

so it's an axe not a asterisk between the two numbers, and a shift-2 @ sign before the 60. don't mistype!

e. if you're having the desired resolution in your system, then please reply and tell us what's the model of your mobo. if you failed, we hope you still have the courtesy to tell us.

Thank you. It might help a LOT of people.

i'll try when i get home. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, nice tip man, works better for me on a Dell 17" P970,

canot change resolution any more, But seems no atefacts anymore !!!

(just a little one only on the Dock) ;) but vey soft...

Note: no more display in System Profiler too..;)

an other issue is the economy saver screen sleep hanging (just graphic) system wake up properly....

I add on com.apple.Boot.plist :

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024@75</string>

be sure to add a supported resolution !!!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks I tried your method, but, as you said, Doesnt work on wide screens. I only get 1280x1024. Plus If I use screen sharing to access my hackintosh from another mac the hackintosh crashes... Restoring integratedframebuffer modified brings everything to normal again..strange

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I got fix mouse pointer trailing issue. I installed vanilla AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (10.5.1 update) & Natit kext for GMA950. I tested with firefox & dreamweaver cs3. So far no more mouse trailing issue. Please refer my signature for my spec. :P I also put URL at my signature where you can get Natit kext for GMA950. Good luck. :)

This fix worked for some of people who have GMA950. This is my hardware:-

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model:	GMA 950
 Type:	Display
 Bus:	Built-In
 VRAM (Total):	64 MB of shared system memory
 Vendor:	Intel (0x8086)
 Device ID:	0x[b]27a2[/b]
 Revision ID:	0x0003
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1280 x 800
 Depth:	32-bit Color
 Built-In:	Yes
 Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Quartz Extreme:	Supported
Display Connector:

EDIT: Since my setup is iATKOS Leopard with EFI, so I'm able to installed 10.5.1 update to my system. I just installed the whole 10.5.1 update package to my system, instead extract the kext file individually.

Detailed explanation:-

Our main objective is to replace this kexts file with vanilla kexts file from 10.5.1 update:-

bash-3.2# ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/ | grep GMA950
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 18 17:40 AppleIntelGMA950.kext
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 18 17:40 AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 18 17:40 AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Nov 18 17:40 AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
bash-3.2# ls -al /System/Library/Extensions/ | grep Frame
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 170 Jan 23 13:21 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

Above kexts file are responsible for fixing mouse pointer trailing issue.

In my case, Natit kext is responsible to properly recognized internal monitor/display. I got blue screen without Natit kext installed. I can only see login window at external monitor not internal monitor (boot with external monitor already plug-in). So, you may not need Natit kext file.

This workaround/fix has already floating around in insanelymac forum. I just spread the word. :) Some people report success, while some people not.

Good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Didnt work for me... Sony vaio VGN-N21M/W

The Natit (ive tried various versions) give me a white pin striped screen... its basically a "Signal out of range" problem.

i also tried using graphics mode = but to no avail :D

(ps, ive also done this on both iAtkos R1 & the new R2)

Im hoping for a GMA950 tear fix soon lol

i already did that in my com.apple.boot.plist, Still no joy, just a white pin stripe screen & the external display wont show anything.

With my original AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer, dual display works fine... but i just cant get rid of tearing :lol:

My device is a 945, altho reports as GMA 950 - ive tried various framebuffer versions, and various natit versions... always a white screen lol - without natit, just a blue screen which wont show external either.

Ho hum.... maybe soon :)

• 3 weeks later...
i already did that in my com.apple.boot.plist, Still no joy, just a white pin stripe screen & the external display wont show anything.

With my original AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer, dual display works fine... but i just cant get rid of tearing :)

My device is a 945, altho reports as GMA 950 - ive tried various framebuffer versions, and various natit versions... always a white screen lol - without natit, just a blue screen which wont show external either.

Ho hum.... maybe soon :rolleyes:

945 must be a chipset name, integrated video is gma950

Ok, I restored GMA950 kexts and framebuffer kext from 10.5.1 update, no change except that CI/QE are gone :(

update: installed graphics update 1.0. Everything is back again.

Maybe it is possible to write all the resolutions manually?

What I did next was restoring the original AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, I guess the 10.5.0 one (attached here) - it restored the resolution selection and (WOW!) the games are running now! The problem is - mouse tearing and artifacts are back, so this is all about AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext. It would be great to combine these two somehow (the original one and the one from graphics update 1.0) to get both the resolution selection and no artifacts. It also seems to me that the overall performance on the original kext is better. Any further ideas?

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.zip