 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Nice ls8. I did the same then: replace AppleSMBios, install dsmos, and removed AppleEFIRuntime. But, mine freezes on boot with the little red X through the middle of the screen. I'll go home and play a little with it tonight and see what's making it crash. Will -v at the F8 menu show me why it's crashing on boot? Oh and the flat file install I did of Leopard had my X1900XT working but only at 1024x768 as it thought that's all my display could do. How do you fix that one?

Thanks everyone for figuring out these cool tricks to simplify the Leopard PC install!

Hey, I got almost done with your method but had one question. At the end you say you deleted the InteEFI.kext file, but I didn't find that file in the extensions folder. The only one I found was AppleEFIRuntime.kext, but deleting it makes it hang on bootup. I had no problem with the dsmos or SMBios kexts though.

I haven't tried putting the AppleEFIRuntime.kext file back to see if it'll boot just fine, I'll do that tonight when I get home. If I don't need to worry about the InteEFI kext file then I just need to know. If I get this question answered then I'll have successfully completed it your way and I can post more detailed instructions for everyone as that seems to be needed.

You are Right Its AppleEFIRuntime.kext(Type mistake was excited to see Retail DVD working ;) ) that need to be removed

I corrected now in my post

This works just great! Everything works, I just had to edit IOnetworkingfamily.kext to get network working and add NVinject for my graphics card.

The one thing I struggled with was how to install the DVD from within Leopard. I opened the DVD in Pacifist selected what I wanted and installed it to another disk. It certainly took more than 5 minutes, I guess it took about 90 minutes. Could I have done it differently to make it go faster?

I updated to 10.5.1 without any problems.

Thanks for the help!

Hmm i think OSInstall.mpkg can only be opened from within Leopard...

So there are three methods to install it:

- with a "real" intel-mac (ppc won't work because it wont install the system on a guid drive)

- with the flat image of leopard

- or with tiger and pacifist

i tried the last since i only have an old ppc G5... pacifist was extremely slow... especially the part where it checks all the files. it took about 2 hours to finish. but something went wrong. i think i made a mistake when the app asked me to overwrite things because some files weren't completely installed and so it couldn't boot up. now i'm trying it again...

Hey ya,

Im having trouble trying to run this native off a Tiger disk....the terminal commands for the open osinstall.mpkg dont work....the previous command cd volume etc etc works...just step 2 in terminal doesnt

Can I run a install via 2 DVD drives....one opened with terminal...then direct the install to the retail Leopard disc via terminal as per your first post?

Whats the steps to install from DVD?

Wait a sec, you used an actual retail non-patched Leopard DVD?
Yes, I did. It requires another version of MacOS running. I had 10.4.11 on second partition, installed 10.5 from original DVD using Pacifist 2.5.1, then upgraded to 10.5.1 using automatic software update. You can use either the original 8GB retail DVD, or you can just use an image of that DVD. You just mount the ISO (or DMG) image and install from that mounted image using Pacifist.

Congrats, what is your about This Mac Showing ?
aboutzf1.th.png

This works just great! Everything works, I just had to edit IOnetworkingfamily.kext to get network working and add NVinject for my graphics card.The one thing I struggled with was how to install the DVD from within Leopard. I opened the DVD in Pacifist selected what I wanted and installed it to another disk. It certainly took more than 5 minutes, I guess it took about 90 minutes. Could I have done it differently to make it go faster?I updated to 10.5.1 without any problems.Thanks for the help!
Terminal do much faster instillation than pacifist without checking the packages.Also you an use DMG of the retail Leopard DVD ( thats what I did with Terminal and installed on two or three times while testing .It took around 5-7 mins each time)
Yes, I did. It requires another version of MacOS running. I had 10.4.11 on second partition, installed 10.5 from original DVD using Pacifist 2.5.1, then upgraded to 10.5.1 using automatic software update. You can use either the original 8GB retail DVD, or you can just use an image of that DVD. You just mount the ISO (or DMG) image and install from that mounted image using Pacifist.aboutzf1.th.png
Did you installed 10.5 on partition already had Tiger ?

Terminal do much faster instillation than pacifist without checking the packages.

Did you installed 10.5 on partition already had Tiger ?

I was unable to open the OSInstall package from terminal, it returned some error "Cannot open package" or similar. Pacifist worked fine.

I installed Leopard on same disk as Tiger, but another partition. I then erased the former Tiger partition and use it for Time Machine now.

This works great! I think I will try to install this on another disk later, can anyone tell me how to install it via terminal instead of pacifist?

This is the one thing I didn't get to work as described. What exactly are the commands? I see no reason to let pacifist verify the files after copying, just a waste of time.

Now I may try the Uphuck release too, but I'm not sure if there are any benefits compared to this method.

Thanks!

Hey ya,

Im having trouble trying to run this native off a Tiger disk....the terminal commands for the open osinstall.mpkg dont work....the previous command cd volume etc etc works...just step 2 in terminal doesnt

Can I run a install via 2 DVD drives....one opened with terminal...then direct the install to the retail Leopard disc via terminal as per your first post?

Whats the steps to install from DVD?

1. Mount the Disk Image of retail DVD ( if you don't have it Make from the Retail DVD) Or Put the disk in DVD drive and install from it I t may just take little longer.

2. Make sure name of the Disk mounted as Mac OS X Install DVD (because this the name you need to put in Terminal Command )

3. Open Terminal do the following one by one

sudo -s (enter)

will ask for password type it hit Enter

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (hit enter) here in this replace Mac with your own Disk name where you are installing your Leopard

open osinstall.mpkg (again paste this and enter)

now package with open Select the disk you want to install to.

I'm having an odd issue....

I boot from a USB hard drive containing a flat image of Leopard.

Partition a blank IDE drive with GUID

Install EFI 8 on that freshly partitioned drive

Install Leopard from a retail DVD

Change kexts as you stated

System attempts to boot... I see the Apple logo for a split second and it reboots.

Any ideas?

Hey guys, will this sequence work?

1. Format laptop hard drive with GUID option and two partitions.

2. Install Tiger to one partition (I am using Uphuck 1.3)

3. Mount retail leopard image.

4. Follow directions on this thread and install leopard to second partition with pc EFI.

5. Delete Tiger partition

6. Change Leopard partition to use entire disk.

Will that work? I am unfamiliar with the workings of GUID.