What's the most Leopard compatible mATX motherboard?

Fatherless One

23 posts in this topic

I'm very happy with my Asus P5L-MX motherboard. It is also 945G chip set . Everything works Tiger or Leo with the exception of the built in Ethernet. I use a cheap PCI ethernet card which works with no drivers. Ok it does need the Azalia Audio drivers which are included on the Jaz DVD for Tiger and elsewhere . It may not be the best over clocker but I was able to go from a stock CPU of 3.2 GBz to 4.1 with no problems. It also works with most any T slot (775 ) CPU including Core 2 duo. Been running for nearly a year as a hackintosh and just ordered a new Core duo CPU which should come next week.

I'm guessing your rev 1.x doesn't run

core 2 Duo and that is perhaps why you are looking to upgrade? Well the rev 2 of the board you have does but is as you know ATX . The one I have is of course the smaller micro atx and only has 1 ide connector and 2 RAM slots slots and different ethernet and audio chips but is other wise much the same.

ECS 945GCT-M (V1.0) LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813135051

I have this motherboard with an E4500. Stock CPU is 2.2 gighz, however I BSEL mod and VMOD to 1.41v the CPU and motherboard recognizes it at E4500 but at 2.93 gighz. Can not overclock it any further, however, it is very stable.

Everything is recognized on it, and Leopard runs beautifully. I have no complaints.

If you live anywhere theres a Fry's (West Coast), sometimes they have a combo deal with this exact motherboard with the same exact cpu for ~$118 which in my mind is a steal.

I have this motherboard with an E4500. Stock CPU is 2.2 gighz, however I BSEL mod and VMOD to 1.41v the CPU and motherboard recognizes it at E4500 but at 2.93 gighz. Can not overclock it any further, however, it is very stable.

Everything is recognized on it, and Leopard runs beautifully. I have no complaints.

If you live anywhere theres a Fry's (West Coast), sometimes they have a combo deal with this exact motherboard with the same exact cpu for ~$118 which in my mind is a steal.

I second that. Frys has that combo almost every week. Its like getting the board for free. I run into some problems on the first one but the replacement is good, everything recognized.

The Gigabyte 945gcmx-s2 is a good board and has overclocking abilities as well.

I just installed with Kalyway 10.5.1 on a GA-965GM-S2, with a GUID partition and EFI. It's been working although installing it had some issues, I got stuck during the transfer information from another mac during the set up and to get past it I HAD to have another mac hard drive to transfer info from. But it is working now, this is my father's system, I installed osx for him, I'm not sure exactly how he set it up, but he dropped an E2140 cpu supposed to be clocked at 1.6ghz, and without him even tring to overclock it all somehow the bios has always recognized it as a E6600 at 2.13ghz. Don't ask me how this happened, this chipset may be an option for you, but it may also be a better idea to go for the newer G33M model. These boards should have a performance advantage over the 945 chipset.

Alot of Gigabytes I see.

I'm pretty new here but I have Leopard 10.5.1 vanilla with efi working great on

a P5K-VM. There's a thread on this particular motherboard with everything

you need. It was pretty simple.

My particular setup is a q6600 with p5k-vm 2x2gb ram, 8800gts 512mb

Triple booting Vista 64, XP, and OS X.

I have an ECS 945GCT-M v1 and I installed Kalyway 10.5.1. Everything was detected perfectly, but I don't get any sound. Its got the ALC883 chip, I selected that driver during the install. The device shows up in Preferences, but when I play any media file I don't hear anything. Any ideas?

Thanks for the inputs guys and girls, it's been appreciated very very much, also are all you people updating the OSX86 Wiki? If not please do :) Loads of people will benifit from your experiences.

Btw I've ordered a GA-945GCMX-S2 so I'm awaiting delivery with fingers crossed.

Do you able to use your Power Button to bring computer to sleep?

• 3 weeks later...

P5LD2-VM R2.0 needs ahci , switch back to sata for windoze, kalyway sleep works

GM-G33-DSR2 ,needs ahci , switch back to sata for windoze, iatkos sleep works

gigabit works, for sound just use usb, graphics , nvidia cards , core 2 duo's

any mobo, where you can run sata native ?