[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hi wingwing,

It's been a while (a long while) since I haven't touched the config of my hackintosh, mainly because it's my production machine, and unfortunately, the marvel controller is not working properly.

I played with it for a while and, I guess I got overexcited at some stage when the system was able to see and recognise a CDROM drive attached to it. I got it to work only once (meaning that it was able to see the CDROM), but later on I discovered that it didnt read any info.

As I'm using the machine everyday to do video editing and Graphic stuff, I stopped playing with it, and never touched the config again. It's been working great, ROCK SOLID since that time! (I'm still in 10.5.2!!!)

I always think that at one stage I'll put the machine up to date with updates and focus on a solution for the #$!@#%& Marvel Controller, but I never do it.

At this stage for me I think it's not worth it to keep trying. Maybe in the future I update my main board to a Gigabyte (I've read that some models work 100%), or even..... who knows a *REAL* Mac Pro.

My experience is that what started as a just a test following guides from weaksauce, made me in the end turn to OS X and leave Windows almost completely!!!! (I'm only using utorrent now with vmware - which by the way has just released a beta version for OS X, so very soon it will be bye-bye VMWARE as well).

I'm sorry that I could not be more helpful but at this stage I stopped messing around with Hardware config and started *enjoying* my hackintosh. I LOVE IT!!!!! OS X is great!!!

Wait till you try my upcoming guide - full Retail Leopard install with normal Apple Updates and Vanilla kernel :( Due out in a week or so. Made specifically for the ridiculously-low-priced $75 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev2.0 board. Things have gotten so much better and easier over the last year, it's not even funny.

Wait till you try my upcoming guide - full Retail Leopard install with normal Apple Updates and Vanilla kernel ;) Due out in a week or so. Made specifically for the ridiculously-low-priced $75 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev2.0 board. Things have gotten so much better and easier over the last year, it's not even funny.

Hey Weaksauce,

Do you think that the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev 2.0 mobo will work with the rest of my configuration?

Please let me know.

Cheers!

Hey Weaksauce,

Do you think that the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev 2.0 mobo will work with the rest of my configuration?

Please let me know.

Cheers!

Perfectly ;) Just transfer everything over! Pretty close to my setup actually! Note that the DS3L doesn't have Firewire, so pick up a card if you use that.

• 2 weeks later...

weaksauce,

I just wanted to thank you for your terrific guide.

I have been using my hackintosh for a long time now as my main machine. I own a macbook pro but prefer to use the hackintosh.

I have so much faith in this machine I have very important non-replaceable data on it which is not backed up (I know its dumb, and plan to do it soon)

I really appreciate your efforts in figuring this out and writing it up in a detailed, newbie friendly way.

Take care my friend

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Intel DP35DP mobo. I get the checksum error if I select anything else than "Native" and "AHCI" for SATA in my BIOS. Maybe this is also your mobo's issue?

Still, I cannot get any of the boot-132 isos to boot my retail DVD anyway. I get to the boot prompt, but when I swap in the retail DVD it is just ignored. :-(

• 3 weeks later...

hi all,

I`m also still running a BadAxe2 and was wondering if anyone can confirm any performance gains in moving to retail with boot 132 method? I`m currently running iatkos v4i, has anyone tried the new iatkos v5? I would be really interested in hearing some other users experiences with this great board.

cheers,

I need help from u bxII users.

I tried a retail installation on my hack and it runs ok with 10.5.0 from retail-leo. no problems at all. but when I try to update to 10.5.5, I cannot boot after updating.

I tired this:

click

and this:

click

without sucess...

can someone give me a hand, please...

thx

Mikemad

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

I have a very stable system (still on 10.5.2) and haven't touched it for a while.

i've been reading that there have been lots of developments lately and I was wondering if anyone tried a simple method to install from retail DVD and update via software update up to 10.5.6.

thanks

• 1 month later...

I stoped at 10.5.5 as you can see on my sig.If I have to do a clean install I will stay in 10.5.4 which for me was the best.

now I am waiting for snow leopard and the new developments. Its been more then a year without windows and no regret. just like the saying: set it and forget it

I stoped at 10.5.5 as you can see on my sig.If I have to do a clean install I will stay in 10.5.4 which for me was the best.

now I am waiting for snow leopard and the new developments. Its been more then a year without windows and no regret. just like the saying: set it and forget it

Windows???? what is that????

hehehe, yeh, there is no way back... I used that thing for more than 15 years and after OS X I never looked back. I think I'll keep waiting then... I'm using Final Cut and to be able to apply updates to final cut, i need to have 10.5.6, so no updating for Final Cut either.... anyway even FCP is working fine, so as they say... if it ain't broken...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Any idea of the difference between

BFGR88768GTXOC2E

and

BFGR88768GTXOCE

They have the same specs and I am wondering if the OC2E version will work like the OCE version for the Quadro FX hack..

@ Gatorfreak, sometimes hardware just dies. I'm pretty sure there's no way OS X could have caused a physical hardware malfunction.

Has anyone else been having problems with the latest BIOS? (2813)

The 8800GTX to Quadro FX 5600 flash was successful!

Using this mod from aquamac, you can turn a (relatively) inexpensive 8800GTX into a professional Quadro FX 5600 video card. I say "relatively inexpensive" because the Quadro FX 5600 is $2,850 from Apple (for just the card!) while the 8800GTX is only $430 (currently $380 with a $50 MIR!). The only difference is that the 8800GTX has 768mb vram and the real Quadro has 1.5gb vram. So even if you cut the price in half because the 8800GTX has half the ram, that's still $1425 for the card, which translates to nearly $1,000 in savings for a simple ROM flash. Here is the exact card I purchased from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx...N82E16814143080

Note: I do not gaurantee any sort of success with this mod. This is an expensive card to replace if you break it! I would suggest joining aquamac's forums and doing some research before purchasing:

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi

Here is the ROM page, be sure to do your homework first!

http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/nv...512cardrom.html

Here is what you need:

1. BFG 600mhz 768mb 8800GTX card, model # BFGR88768GTXOCE (this EXACT model!)

2. USB floppy drive (or internal, if you have it)

3. Floppy disk

4. NVFLASH (google it)

5. Appropriate ROM

* Package for BA2/FX5600 is attached to this post

Here is the procedure:

1. Create a Windows startup disk (right-click on the floppy, format, set as startup disk)

2. Unzip NVFLASH and copy both files to the floppy

3. Copy FX5600.rom to the floppy

4. Set your BIOS to boot to Floppy/USB first

5. Boot up to the A: prompt and type in "nvflash -b save.rom" (this makes a backup)

6. Reboot the computer

7. At the A: prompt again, type "nvflash -4 -5 -6 -j FX5600.rom" (make sure you have all the spaces!)

8. Hit "Y" 3 times when it prompts you

9. Reboot and remove the floppy when done

10. Install the modded NVinject (I included Kexthelper so it's drag-and-drop like AppleHDApatcher) and reboot

And that's all there is to it! Backup your existing ROM, install the new one, install the new NVinject! I've attached a ZIP file containing NVFLASH, the FX5600 rom, and a custom NVinject kext courtesy of aquamac. So format the floppy disk as a Windows boot disk and dump the files in the Floppy folder onto it, and then after running the steps above use Kexthelper to dump in the modded NVinject and reboot. Very simple, no hardware mod needed, save yourself $2,400!

Special thanks to aquamac again for helping me with this mod! :)