[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

I'm going out of town on vacation for the holidays for a few weeks tomorrow and I'll be back at the end of December. Please keep posting comments, feedback, and any problems you run into - I'll check this thread on my iPhone from time to time. I will also leave my Hackintosh running 24/7 at stock speed while I'm gone to make sure everything is stable for long-term uptime. Happy holidays everyone! :angel:

Still trying for that full gigahertz overclock...almost there...the white Apple boot screen hangs at 3.4 though. Currently running at 3.3ghz on air with the following settings: (120mm Sycthe Ninja as HSF)

Processor:

CPU Voltage: 1.35

Power Slope: Enabled

FSB Voltage: 1.25

MCH Voltage: 1.55

FSB: 367

Memory:

Reference: 266

Frequency: 667

Voltage: 2.24

My Geekbench score is currently 6538; it was 6011 at 3.0ghz. Not bad, but I still want 3.4ghz. btw I don't claim to be a master overclocker, in fact I'm pretty much a noob, so don't follow my lead too closely here :D

Just wanted to chime in and say a BIG thanks for putting this guide together. I'm currently working out the pieces of a new build and will be using the Bad Axe 2 as the hub for everything. I've read through your guide a few times and minus actually going through the motions it's very well put together and will save a lot of time.

Thanks!!

TR

Just wanted to chime in and say a BIG thanks for putting this guide together. I'm currently working out the pieces of a new build and will be using the Bad Axe 2 as the hub for everything. I've read through your guide a few times and minus actually going through the motions it's very well put together and will save a lot of time.

Thanks!!

TR

Hey glad I could help! Post back with your hardware config and software status once you get it up and running!

I added the rest of my hard drives tonight, but I couldn't get the second SATA controller (Marvell) working. I've been playing with settings but no luck yet. If anyone knows the trick, let me know and I will add it to the guide! I will test my IDE RAID card when I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

I tested Firewire tonight and it works GREAT. I have a Canon HV20 HD MiniDV camcorder and it works really well. I haven't set up FCP2 yet, but I did play around with iMovie 08 and it seems very nice. My wife is a huge fan of iMovie 06, so I really haven't gotten my hands dirty with 08 on my own machine yet. It seems very intuitive though and man the effects are INSTANT! (Exposure adjustment etc., although I think they're meant to be instant on any machine). Very very cool stuff!

One weird quirk, System Profiler still shows 2.4ghz no matter what I overclock it to. Geekbench recognizes it correctly as 3.0ghz, 3.2ghz, etc. though. Not sure if I need to re-install AppleSMBIOS or what to get it recognized.

Happy hacking and happy holidays! I'm out until ~ December 27th unless I get bored on vacation and hop in here :hysterical:

So for the sound the 5.1 OUT is working? And what about the mic? Is there a solution yet?

I have only tested stereo output, but the red SPDIF light is on, so maybe it does, don't know yet. No Mic solution yet - either get a USB sound card ($6 on ebay or $40 on Amazon for a really nice one) or just use a USB mic.

Do you have the latest BIOS? The current one is update 1487: (I zipped it up and attached it to this post as well, see the below)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Res...t&strOSs=38

I updated to that before installing Leopard and my LAN works 100%. I have a Gigabit network setup and it even recognizes it as a Gigabit NIC! Also I will include the BIOS in the next update of my guide.

Hi,

Thanks 4 your help.

It seems that you own a D975XBX (Bad Axe) and not D975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2) as the 1487 BIOS (and the file you uploaded) fits D975XBX only.

The latest D975 XBX2 BIOS is update 2802 :

Intel D975XBX2 2802 BIOS Update

I already updated the motherboard before installing Leopard.

If you do have the latest BIOS, boot up to the BrazilMac disc again with your USB Stick plugged in and install only the IONetworkingFamily.kext file again.

Let me know if either of those two work, if not we'll keep trying until we figure it out! :)

I tried the cp/cd/chown/chmod commands with IONetworkFamily.kex included in the USB key package (I do a "sudo -s" before typing everything).

I tried with koolkal 10.4.10 update package too (it used to work) that I extracted with Pacifist.

I may do the whole thing the wrong way.

Sometimes, once every 2 or 3 reboots, I get an IP adress but the en0 ethernet remains "unplugged".

That's very strange. My integrated ethernet is working, it's a fact.

Thanks.

I tried the cp/cd/chown/chmod commands with IONetworkFamily.kex included in the USB key package (I do a "sudo -s" before typing everything).

I tried with koolkal 10.4.10 update package too (it used to work) that I extracted with Pacifist.

I may do the whole thing the wrong way.

Sometimes, once every 2 or 3 reboots, I get an IP adress but the en0 ethernet remains "unplugged".

That's very strange. My integrated ethernet is working, it's a fact.

I had the same experience as you - The ethernet would work every now and then - sometimes if I went into System Preferences/Network and fiddled a bit it would come to life. What I did in the end was copy my IONetworking kext from my 10.4.9 install and it works all the time...

Thanks for the guide, weaksauce. Wish I'd found it before I stumbled thru it all on my own. My biggest problem is low drive performance (in XBench) and unrelated to this thread in particular, the inability to install RAM except in the first two (blue and black) slots. I have 4 Cosair 1GB sticks, but can only use 2 and then not in Dual Channel mode. AND I have tried replacing the MB without any change...

Anyone have thoughts on those problems?

Patrick

Hi,

Thanks 4 your help.

It seems that you own a D975XBX (Bad Axe) and not D975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2) as the 1487 BIOS (and the file you uploaded) fits D975XBX only.

The latest D975 XBX2 BIOS is update 2802 :

Intel D975XBX2 2802 BIOS Update

I already updated the motherboard before installing Leopard.

Well it looks like you've discovered something very interesting here! My motherboard is a BLKD975XBX2KR, which translates to a Bad Axe 2 "KR" edition, which apparently just adds CrossFire support (ATI). Onetrack caught this earlier but I must have misread my label. Anyway, it appears that I have loaded the BIOS for the original Bad Axe board onto my BA2-KR model...and the networking works! The only detrimental effect that I'm having right now is that the second SATA controller isn't recognized under Leopard. I am on vacation right now so I can't give the 2802 BIOS a shot, but I'm willing to bet this is why BJMoose and others can get all 8 onboard SATA ports working and I can't, but why I have a working network jack. However, there have been others who have installed my pack on BA2 boards and have zero networking problems.

I do not recommend trying the BA1 BIOS until I have had more time to play around with this. I don't want anyone to accidentally fry their boards because they loaded the wrong BIOS. I get back from vacation around the 27th or so and will give you guys an update then.

I had the same experience as you - The ethernet would work every now and then - sometimes if I went into System Preferences/Network and fiddled a bit it would come to life. What I did in the end was copy my IONetworking kext from my 10.4.9 install and it works all the time...

Patrick,

Thanks for your advice : the ethernet is now "plugged". I had to install the IOnetworkingFamily.kext from JaS 10.4.9 update, extracted with Pacifist.

"Regular" installation (chmod/chown/kextload/kextcache) plus "-f" on reboot, and we're done.

-> Weaksauce : maybe you could add this advice to your great tutorial. It might help ...

Thanks once more.

Zooplaboom

Hi Weaksauce12

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Your guide is fantastic. I'm up and running with Logic Pro 8 using a FW audio interface. Great performance, latency, etc. This thing totally crushes my PPC (no wonder there). I'm not OC'ing yet, but sure I will want to give it a shot at some point.

-M

Patrick,

Thanks for your advice : the ethernet is now "plugged". I had to install the IOnetworkingFamily.kext from JaS 10.4.9 update, extracted with Pacifist.

"Regular" installation (chmod/chown/kextload/kextcache) plus "-f" on reboot, and we're done.

-> Weaksauce : maybe you could add this advice to your great tutorial. It might help ...

Thanks once more.

Zooplaboom

Could you zip that up for me and attach it to this thread? I would be happy to add to it to the guide as a secondary alternative if the included IONetworkingFamily.kext doesn't work. Actually I will try it on a fresh install, and if it works out of the box I'll probably just replace it. Does this particular kext also fix Time Machine, or do I need to swap the IONetworkingFamily binary inside of the kext?

Im pretty pumped about trying this.

I'm starting with a 7300gt card, but everything else I've ordered according to your guide weaksauce, I'm looking forward to trying this.

I'm really a beginner though..

My whole rig was around $850...

If all goes well, I'll consider picking up a 20" cinema display and hide the PC box!

I would be interested in doing a g5 case mod, but that may be WAY beyond my skills.

Can you tell me about wireless? Have you added a card? Is the networking working?

How about bluetooth? I wouldnt even be opposed to adding a wireless keyboard/mouse eventually.

Parts should arrive this week! Great Christmas project..

Guys,

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but this is the 11th unsuccesfull attempt to do it various ways for the past 5 days... but nothig works. The patch I have downloaded (9a581) and tried is not making a good image and I have tried it on a 10.4.11 real PPC and other machines. So, to put it in perspective ... it is not working for me. I ahve 3 BX2 ... and had no problems before. Maybe you are by far a lot smarter than me but at this point ... for people reading this ... IT IS NOT WORKING AS PRESENTED here!

I am not asking for help ... but if you post make sure that whatever you post is accurate and can be replicated, and do not assume that everybody is as "smart" as you are!

Could you zip that up for me and attach it to this thread? ...snip... Does this particular kext also fix Time Machine, or do I need to swap the IONetworkingFamily binary inside of the kext?

I don't know if this fixes Time Machine - haven't had time to try that yet, but here's the IONetworkingFamily from my system

Patrick

ionetworking.zip

Guys,

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but this is the 11th unsuccesfull attempt to do it various ways for the past 5 days... but nothig works. The patch I have downloaded (9a581) and tried is not making a good image and I have tried it on a 10.4.11 real PPC and other machines. So, to put it in perspective ... it is not working for me. I ahve 3 BX2 ... and had no problems before. Maybe you are by far a lot smarter than me but at this point ... for people reading this ... IT IS NOT WORKING AS PRESENTED here!

I am not asking for help ... but if you post make sure that whatever you post is accurate and can be replicated, and do not assume that everybody is as "smart" as you are!

Can you give us a detailed description of the problems you are having?

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Are you using the Oct 31st version of BrazilMac?

I haven't tested patching Leopard on a PPC Mac yet, so maybe that's it.

Also, what processor are you using?

I am using IntelQuads as you 2.4 not OC. I have tried patching various ways to no avail. The PPC Laptop is the only one that has 10.4.x and I have the original Leo. I have flashed the MB to the lates Bios Version, I have KR as you!

OSX Leo 10.5 ToH RC2 works fine on my system

OSX Leo 10.5 KaL 9a527 also works fine but I wanted EFI to work- so that mighty explain why I am still trying!

Thanks WS12 ... I cannot take failure very well as you see!

Can you give us a detailed description of the problems you are having?

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Are you using the Oct 31st version of BrazilMac?

I haven't tested patching Leopard on a PPC Mac yet, so maybe that's it.

Also, what processor are you using?

WS12,

what other substitute do I have for that patched DVD?

I don't know if this fixes Time Machine - haven't had time to try that yet, but here's the IONetworkingFamily from my systemPatrick

Awesome, thanks Patrick! I will give this a try on a fresh install when I get back from vacation and test Time Machine while I'm at it. If everything works I'll just replace the kext in the guide.

Im pretty pumped about trying this.

I'm starting with a 7300gt card, but everything else I've ordered according to your guide weaksauce, I'm looking forward to trying this.

I'm really a beginner though..

My whole rig was around $850...

If all goes well, I'll consider picking up a 20" cinema display and hide the PC box!

I would be interested in doing a g5 case mod, but that may be WAY beyond my skills.

Can you tell me about wireless? Have you added a card? Is the networking working?

How about bluetooth? I wouldnt even be opposed to adding a wireless keyboard/mouse eventually.

Parts should arrive this week! Great Christmas project..

Aww skip the 20" Cinema Display man! Dell has much better prices and features and they usually use the same panel that Apple does! I got a 24" Dell LCD for less than Apple's 20" LCD and mine has DVI (HDCP), VGA, Component, S-video, and Composite inputs, as well as a USB 2.0 hub built-in and a multi-card reader integrated. Plus it has tilt, rotate, swivel, and up/down adjustment. The Apple 20" LCD costs more than the 24" LCD and only has one DVI input and can only tilt forward and back, that's it. If you're really concerned about colors, just give the Dell a quick spray paint job haha. Dell does have a 20" that is silver now, I believe, as well as a silver 19" with a built-in webcam that you might consider.

The 7300GT is a great card to start out with. You can always upgrade down the road and even try an experimental card if you want to since you'll always have the 7300GT to fall back on. I'm running a 320mb XFX 8800 GTS PCI Express video card, if that helps.

I know that some people have gotten wireless to work, so I would assume you would either need a USB Wifi stick, a PCI Wifi adapter, or a PCI-to-Mini-PCI adapter with a Mini-PCI wireless card attached. I have a USB Wifi stick coming for my G4 Cube from eBay, so when that shows up I'll test it on my Hackintosh box for you.

Bluetooth should work fine with a simple USB adapter. D-Link sells one as well as OWC (MacSales.com) for under $20 USD, and you can get them even cheaper on eBay.

As far as a wireless keyboard and mouse, you have several options. First of all, skip IR since that requires line of sight. The way to go is RF or Bluetooth. Bluetooth is okay for keyboards, but I don't recommend it for mice. I use a Logitech VX Revolution notebook mouse (along with the SteerMouse software) and it works great. I also have a Microsoft keyboard. You can use the Apple Bluetooth keyboard if you want, just make sure you buy a USB Bluetooth adapter first.

Weaksauce, sorry for the newb question:

I'm following your guide. I bought all the equipment and have been pputting it together as time permits (holiday season + 3 young kids = not much time :P).

I ordered a 320MB 8800 GTS but it's from PNY, not XFX. Will that be important at some point during the install? Or should all 320MB 8800 GTs' be the same?

Oh, and I agree, the 24" Dell is a far better value for the money. The numerous inputs alone are a godsend, and I love mine to death.

Weaksauce, sorry for the newb question:

I'm following your guide. I bought all the equipment and have been pputting it together as time permits (holiday season + 3 young kids = not much time ^_^).

I ordered a 320MB 8800 GTS but it's from PNY, not XFX. Will that be important at some point during the install? Or should all 320MB 8800 GTs' be the same?

Oh, and I agree, the 24" Dell is a far better value for the money. The numerous inputs alone are a godsend, and I love mine to death.

Theoretically your PNY 8800 GTS should work fine, the 320mb model is a supported card. They all come from the same place (NVIDIA), they just have different branding and fans. Some add overclocking and so on but nothing is really different, so it should work fine. When you build it, let us know if it works or not. The default install in my guide installs the driver for the 7000-series, so be sure to use the 8800 installer after you boot up to Leopard. You know it works (after rebooting) when you can adjust the resolution...keep in mind that the default driver WILL work for the 8800-series, but unless you install the G80 installer, it won't recognize the full ram amount, so be sure to install that driver package after installing Leopard!

My system was so successful that my wife wants one now lol, so I'll be building a second one in January when I get some more $$$. Total price for 2 Hackintoshes is STILL less than a single, stock-config $2500 Mac Pro, not to mention more powerful!

Also for those interested, ClubIT is having a sale on their 1TB USB drives for $179 with instant coupon, I think you have to buy 2 drives though. I bought a couple for my wife's system, one for Boot and one for Time Machine, and I'll just re-use the USB enclosures for other drives:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...hreadid=2132589

Here's where I'm at currently:

Made a bunch of stupid mistakes during the prep of the BrazilMac disc. Once I figured out my errors I sailed through the installation.

My equipment:

Intel D975XBX2 Mobo

Quad Core 2.4Ghz processor

PNY 8800GTS 320MB

8GB RAM

WD 500GB boot drive.

ZeroDBA 600Watt PSU

Lightscribe SATA DVD writer

My big problem is sound. The sound drivers find only the optical out and an internal speaker...no Line Out. I can adjust the sound volume in the menu bar. If I try to play to the internal speaker I get nothing. I have no way to test the optical out right now.

I can adjust video resolutions. The machine shuts down and reboots fine. I installed my HP C6180 wireless printer and can print just fine. It recognizes my iPods just fine.

I'm about to try your overclocking settings.

The machine screams -_-.

Edit: Holy {censored}. OCing it to 3.3GHz makes it even more stupid fast. Blows my 2.66Ghz Mac Pro out of the water.

Edit: Just tried another HD on the Marvell controller - no dice. OSX didn't see the drive at all. Once I switched it to one of the 4 standard sata ports OSX saw it just fine.

Edit: Sleep mode doesn't work - it crashes the machine. Haven't tested the various S3 options in the BIOS yet, nor have I tested if it's a function of the overclocking. Crashing the machine gave me a chance to test how the machine reacts to being powered-off while running - no problems there, it seems.

I was successful at installing Leopard on my DELL DIMENSION E510 Pentium 4 HT processor 1GB OF RAM (its not in the duo/dual family). I was able to install CS3 on the HD but once I tried opening the application the application would crash.

I'm getting ready to start a Bad Axe 2 build and was wondering if anyone on has had problems with CS3 or FinalCut?

Some issues that have occurred on the Pentium 4 DELL are:

When the machine isn't (if I walk away for 15 mins) active it freezes .

If I move the mouse too fast it will leave pixels around the screen. (in XP or WIN98 when this would hapen I would right click refresh) Can this have anything to do with RAM?

thanks WeakSauce12, I was able to get started/motivated from reading your posts.

Some more findings:

Turned off overclocking and played with some of the suspend settings in the BIOS. Still no luck - the computer will go to sleep properly, and will wake up, but hangs on waking up and only a hard restart will work.

Tested the optical audio out - it does indeed work.

All USB ports seem to work fine.

I had read that enabling the AHCI mode for the hard drives allowed the marvell set of SATA ports to work - no dice. In addition, the boot drive turned into the removable icon just as weaksauce said it would.

Will test the Firewire port later today. Will start installing apps and running the system through its paces later today.