GRUB OS X86 UBUNTU VISTA

danilo287

11 posts in this topic

So ive done a bunch of researching and i still cant figure out how to get the tipple boot to work. I have found tutorials on how to triple boot but only for 1 hard drive. The setup i have is windows and ubuntu on 2 separate sda drives. My os x is on a hdd (im using 10.4 and couldnt figure out how to get it installed on a regular sda). I can get grub to work with ubuntu and vista when my os x drive is not plugged in. Once i plug in the os x drive i get a grub error 17. I installed vista first, os x, and then ubuntu. Anyone have any ideas?

So ive done a bunch of researching and i still cant figure out how to get the tipple boot to work. I have found tutorials on how to triple boot but only for 1 hard drive. The setup i have is windows and ubuntu on 2 separate sda drives. My os x is on a hdd (im using 10.4 and couldnt figure out how to get it installed on a regular sda). I can get grub to work with ubuntu and vista when my os x drive is not plugged in. Once i plug in the os x drive i get a grub error 17. I installed vista first, os x, and then ubuntu. Anyone have any ideas?

My current setup is the exact same as yours I believe.

Here is the heart of my menu.lst file

title Apple Macintosh Operating Systems:

root

title Mac OSx86

root (hd1,0)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader +1

title ---

root

title Ubuntu Linux Operating Systems:

root

title Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon [2.6.22-14-generic]

root (hd2,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=8c926759-f452-46b3-815c-d6a888eb8d41 ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

quiet

title Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon [2.6.22-14-generic] (recovery mode)

root (hd2,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=8c926759-f452-46b3-815c-d6a888eb8d41 ro single

title Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon memtest86+

root (hd2,0)

kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

quiet

title ---

root

title Microsoft Windows Operation Systems:

root

title Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

root (hd0,0)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader +1

The bold entries are the ones you will need pay attention to, the rest are just entries I use for orginization.

My drive config is....

Sata 0 is my Windows HD

Sata 1 is my Ubuntu HD

Primary Master IDE is my OS X HD

Um... for more details check my sig, my exact menu.lst boot file may work for you unchanged (well except for the kernel Ubuntu part, leave it as yours). But, grub may have a different setup for your HDs, so you may have to play with it.

Good Luck and keep on macKIN'

triple booting here......but I don't use grub (doesn't work out of the box with osx).....grub is on the linux (boot) partition and not written to MBR.....In MBR is the darwin bootloader wich enables choice between 1. xp 2. osx 3.linux

But activating 3. linux starts running grub annyway.....gives again the choice!!!....accept no osx.....but usefull to boot any other partition/other disk.

Check my howto for an acer laptop......at the end some things that made it tripleboot for me (in fact....4 options......also xp recovery or so).

(the howto doesn't mention this.....written for a xp/osx config....for nonlinux user :) )

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=66962

When i opened up my menu.lst file it had my vista on (hd1,0) and ubuntu on (hd0,0). That configuration works fine when when the os x ide drive is not plugged in. When i went to add the os x drive to the menu.lst file i added it to (hd2,0). I shutdown my machine, plugged in my os x drive, and i got the grub 17 error again. A couple questions about this:

Do i need to have the drive selector on the hard drive set to cable select, master, or slave...right now i dont have one on it which i think makes it cable select

Also is it possible that i installed the OS X wrong and grub cannot find the correct partition to boot from?

I also went into the bios and my setup looks like this:

IDE PRIMARY MASTER - my os x ide hd

IDE PRIMARY SLAVE-none

IDE SECONDARY MASTER-dvd rw

IDE SECONDARY SLAVE-cd-rw

IDE THIRD MASTER-first sata drive (im assuming windows)

IDE FOURTH SLAVE-second sata drive(assuming linux)

But when i open up linux from the live cd and run fdisk -l

it gives me the windows partion as sda0, linux partition as sda1, and os x as hda0

do these two piece of information conflict? Should my bios be different since my os x drive is listed last in fdisk but is listed as the primary master or does that not matter?

• 2 weeks later...

im on a quad boot

1. XP Pro

2. MACOSX86

3. Ubuntu Feisty

4. FREEBSD

here's my menu.lst

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-16-generic

root (hd1,5)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-16-generic root=UUID=e207682d-42cf-46de-af95-b256310196fc ro quiet splash

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-16-generic

quiet

savedefault

title Windows XP Pro

root (hd0,0)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader +1

title MACOSX86

root (hd0,2)

makeactive

chainloader +1

savedefault

title FREEBSD 6.2

root (hd1,0,a)

kernel /boot/loader

makeactive

chainloader +1

savedefault

do this on terminal or konsole using ubuntu:

sudo fdisk -l

post the result

sudo fdisk -l gives me this:

Disk /dev/sda: 300.0 GB, 300069052416 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36481 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 * 1 36480 293025568+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 300.0 GB, 300069052416 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36481 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sdb1 * 1 35919 288519336 83 Linux

/dev/sdb2 35920 36481 4514265 5 Extended

/dev/sdb5 35920 36481 4514233+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Just a reminder that this is with my OSX drive unplugged because i cannot even get to the grub loader with it plugged in.

Another quick question is what does the "a" in root(hd1,0,a) refer to in your freebsd 6.2 line?

I went thru this painfull configuration with grub also, in my case i had installed vista and Ubuntu previously on a Sata HD (which is hd0) in my grub's menu.list, then i added an IDE HD (hd1) in which i instaled Kalyway after and to make grub chainloader to darwin it was a pain, but i did it.

1-Make sure in yor BIOs configuration the firs boot HD option is not your OSX86 HD.

2-If there's an option in your bios (like in mine) for the HD's order, make sure the OSX86 one is at least after the one where linux is instaled on, because grub needs to boot first, then chainload to darwin.

this is my menu.lis conf. After triying for a hole day adding just those three last lines this is how it worked for me, on the bold line make sure you write the correct HD # in which OSX86 is installed

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

root (hd0,1)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=48a9587d-31d8-409b-8043-83d2d3e342bb ro quiet splash

quiet

title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)

root (hd0,1)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=UUID=48a9587d-31d8-409b-8043-83d2d3e342bb ro single

title Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+

root (hd0,1)

kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian

# ones.

title Other operating systems:

root

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS

# on /dev/sda1

title Microsoft Windows Vista

root (hd0,0)

savedefault

makeactive

chainloader +1

title MAC OSX 10.5.1

root (hd1)

chainloader +1

The order of installation should be: Windows, Linux(with grub being installed to the mbr) on drive one.

Then install Mac OS X on first partition of second hard drive (ide). Do not install the Mac bootloader to

the mbr. In fact when installing Mac ,you should not get involved with the bootloader at all, it will

do the right thing all on its own.

Then boot into linux and add this paragraph to the menu.lst

title Mac OS X

root (hd1,0)

chainloader +1

Piece of cake, trust me.

I also went into the bios and my setup looks like this:IDE PRIMARY MASTER - my os x ide hdIDE PRIMARY SLAVE-noneIDE SECONDARY MASTER-dvd rwIDE SECONDARY SLAVE-cd-rwIDE THIRD MASTER-first sata drive (im assuming windows)IDE FOURTH SLAVE-second sata drive(assuming linux)But when i open up linux from the live cd and run fdisk -lit gives me the windows partion as sda0, linux partition as sda1, and os x as hda0do these two piece of information conflict? Should my bios be different since my os x drive is listed last in fdisk but is listed as the primary master or does that not matter?
Error 17 means grub can't mount the partition it thinks menu.lst is on. Its finding the osx disk where it thinks linux is.I think you can fix this easily by opening your computer and putting the ide cable the windows and linux disks are on to be attached to 1st IDE port.Attach OS X disk the to 3rd IDE port.Grub should work, or at least no give error 17, but I suspect you will then either have to manually edit /etc/fstab in Linux using a Linux rescue CD, or reinstall Linux.An alternative solution would be to manually boot Linux from the grub prompt, but if you do this Linux would still need a different /etc/fstab than when the osx disk was not present, so you would still have to manually edit /etc/fstab. Not an impossible task but requires more Linux knowledge.
Another quick question is what does the "a" in root(hd1,0,a) refer to in your freebsd 6.2 line?
FreeBSD devides its partition into slices.Its an historical artifact relating to how they got Unix to coexist after Microsoft/IBM invented their partition scheme. The simplest solution was to just put the UNIX partitions inside a DOS partition.The a means to boot off 1st slice.You can read all about it at FreeBSD.org