[UPDATED] Best Post-Patch... EFI vX, Fdisk, Boot Sector, Vanilla + hacked Kernel + Kexts and Boot.plist edits

sortadan

96 posts in this topic

I can confirm this patch to be fully working on a inspiron 9400

Updated to 10.5.1 no problems.

Thanks a ton!

[EDIT] Forgot to mention, in the readme.txt it lists the script as being script.sh when it is actually called patch.sh. This would have saved me a good half hour knowing that.

Hello i'm new here.

I just made work leopard with the BrazilMac dvd, and the only postpatch that work is THIS ONE.

THX A LOT :D

2110764243_b571b3bd38.jpg

However i have some generalized issues :

No sound

No openGL "NV drivers crash" need to re-install

No Network

Core2duo SOLO

Any solution to this

Dell Vostro1500

8600m GT 256

Intel 7500

160gb 7200rpm

@BJMoose

@sortadan

@zzak

I am also one of the unfortunate BADAXE2 guys :rolleyes: , no matter whhat I do I get the "b0 error" . I have tried what BJMoose has said and also what X2K86 said the fix would be.

I have tried both GUID and MBR.

I know it is asking a lot .... but would BJMoose , sortadan and zzak possibly work on a SUPER HowTo or script to help us poor BADAXE2 boys !!!!!

Thanks in advance

Current Version: v0.1

So I wrote a unified post-patch script that does it all... This works with BrazilMac and ToH 10.5 install disks and does everything that other post patchers do and more.

It's a solid script and should be used as a basis for all to follow.

It prompts the user with what they want to do and gives them the information needed to make the right decision.

It installs the vanilla or toh kernel (or not, your choice)

It installs vanilla kexts that toh and brazilmac change (or not, your choice)

It installs needed hacked kexts in a sub folder from the script (or not, your choice)

It sets the screen res and timeout in com.apple.Boot.plist (or not, your choice)

It installs EFI v8, and sets partition as bootable (or not, your choice)

I have comments in the script, and it should be easy to modify and work with new EFI versions as they become available.

Please let me know what you all think:

http://rapidshare.com/files/76393313/Combined_Post_Patch_v0.1.rar [uPDATED]

As ever, if you get to the darwin boot loader and are having trouble booting, next time you boot hit F8 when darwin is doing it's countdown and enter "-v" or "-s -v" as kernel flags and hopefully you'll see some red text eventually that says what's going wrong... I'll try to help people when I know enough to help and when I have the time, but IRC or a question to everyone in the Forums here is really where you want to go if you want help debugging your problems...

NOTE: I know I don't have AMD support right now. If someone could post a link to a script or the command line stuff for AMD post patching that would be hot. I'd like to integrate it in for the next version.

-Dan.

PS: This is a cool little tool - http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html does anyone know of a tool that will allow windows to actually edit files in an HFS+ partition?

[uPDATES]

2007-12-13 -- The first patch had some stupid typos from a bit of last minute cleanup I did just before posting. I've cleaned it up (correctly this time :-), and did a full test with the updated script and it worked flawlessly for me. My bad to frustrated people that downloaded yesterday...

2007-12-14 -- it looks like my script does NOT work with GUID partitioning. I had not used this and not tested it as you can't use Windows with GUID and really I think people should just use MBR, but if you are set on GUID here's the steps (I'll try to add this to the script and auto-detect GUID for the next version if I can)

'b0 error' GUID partition fix (posted by X2K86):

diskXsY (disk0s2 is X=0, Y=2)

diskutil unmount diskX
diskutil unmount diskXs1
diskutil unmount diskXs2
diskutil unmount diskXs3
diskutil unmount diskXs4
echo "u\nf Y\nw\nq\n" | fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX 
diskutil unmount diskXs2
diskutil unmount diskXs3
diskutil unmount diskXs4
cd /Volumes/FLASH_DISK/files/boot
./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8
dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

[/uPDATES]

This one worked for me but not the first one. Thanx a million,(ToH Leo DVD)

alc889a-not working

daul display-not working

cpu-seen as 4ghz

thank you very much for this script

Re:

echo "u\nf Y\nw\nq\n" | fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

After entering above line (substituting "2" for "Y") I'm getting:

Enter 'help' for information
fdisk: 1> Invalid command 'u\nf'. Try 'help'.
fdisk: 1>fdisk: eof
-bash-3.2#

Please HELP! I installed ToH without a problem. reboot again with the disk, ran the script from this post (v0.1), all default value, i don't have any Windows installed. EFI enabled.

When i reboot, the system show me the F8 boot choice and just after that always rebooting by itself. Even with -v or -x.

What can i do? is it somnething in my BIOS?

I'm trying to find in all the posts but not finding anything

@shaanky98

@BJMoose

Great stuff , your script is solid , I have managed to get a working upgraded 10.5.1.

Here's what I did :

1) set my BIOS in my BADAXE2 mobo to IDE and not AHCI (I know BJMoose uses AHCI , not sure

what the difference is ?)

2) installed a clean BrazilMac 10.5 using MBR (tried with GUID , got the "b0 error" )

3) did not use BrazilMac PostPatch,

4) booted again off the BrazilMac's DVD

5) opened terminal plugged in my USB stick

6) ran your patch.sh

7) answered Yes to all questions ( one question is , even though I installed with Brazilmacs

DVD , I still accepted the TOH , are the kernels the same ?)

8) rebooted , pulled out my USB stick and BrazilMac DVD.

... and voila ... it worked ,

When I start my system and I hit F10 to see EFI bootloader , I see my SATA drive as a boot

option, I select it and it boots to 10.5.0

When i look at my "About this Mac" I see 10.5.0 with 4GHz proc ( funny but who cares , it works :-) )

Another strange thing is , if i select "More info" , my "System pProfiler" tries to open but then crashes. Any comments ? have you seen this as well now that your are running EFI ?

I then select "Software Update" and click on "OSX 10.5.1" , the 109 meg downloads , runs and reboots.

A reboot later I can login in and Voila again !!!! , I see 10.5.1 in my Mac OS version

Anotehr issue:

I see your rig has a Nvidia Quadrro 4400 card ? I have one but it never worked with my BrazilMac Leopard installation. Only now after your patch can I use this card in my Leopard box.

I have installed iMovie but get an error of no QE support. is there anyway we can mofify the driv

r to get QEE support for iMovie ?

BJMoose please can you comment on the benefits of using ACHI instead of IDE ? do we loose

something ?

Thanx again shaanky98 for your great script !!!!!!!!!!!

Nice thread...nice scripting...

Open question to all:

I've been wondering....I've noticed that my brazilmac install disk has an OSX original postinstall script it runs upon completion of the installation. Is it possible to hijack this script by simply editing it and cleverly adding some extra lines from the very script we are all talking about? Or at the last second call in the other script to make the changes? It might even be possible to sneak the patch files into a directory, in an editable image of the install DVD, before burning it . Once the disk is burned, we could simply install everything right off of the DVD automatically before the reboot..It would make for a clean install DVD with no extra steps.......

I'm "rooting" for a solution :D Thanks <-(Pun intended!)

Just great work, thanks a lot.

Helped me not to boil my brain with Dell Insiron 1520 and brazilmac's dvd :(

Does power management work for you? I can't get Leopard to pick up that its a laptop and detect the battery, also sleep doesn't work...

Great patch by the way, it solves my core 2 duo being seen as a core 2 solo issue.

Hi!

First of all thank you sortadan for a very nice working script. Second sorry for bad english.

This is my 5th try to install Leopard on my GA-945GCM-S2. Everything vent fine and finally I can boot from disk :) (using ToH RC2 and your script)

Everything seems to work except GMA950 does not recognize my HPvs19 monitor.

So now I'm stuck with 1024x768... I do not understand why. Is it because AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is copied over the file from ToH RC2? Or is it another file?

And finally... You guys Rocks!!!! This forum makes my life easy. :(

Please HELP! I installed ToH without a problem. reboot again with the disk, ran the script from this post (v0.1), all default value, i don't have any Windows installed. EFI enabled.

When i reboot, the system show me the F8 boot choice and just after that always rebooting by itself. Even with -v or -x.

What can i do? is it somnething in my BIOS?

I'm trying to find in all the posts but not finding anything

claudius u need to delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext

Anyone else lose their video? I get the white apple screen, the blue screen comes on for a few seconds and then it's gone.

I also have a Video problem , I luckily can get through the full login but after a few minutes ( 10-20) I get the dreaded Multilanguage error code " Please Push your Power button " and all freezes.

This is only after I have upgraded via shaanky98 Post BrazilMac update to \EFI script.

I think it is to do with the EFI boot process initialises my Nvidia Quadro FX 4400 card.

Any ideas out there ?????

@shaanky98@BJMooseGreat stuff , your script is solid , I have managed to get a working upgraded 10.5.1.Thanx again shaanky98 for your great script !!!!!!!!!!!
Point of correction as much as I would love to take the credit for the script, but the person you are meant to be thanking is Sortadan this is a good script.Now I can confirm everything is working just installed FCS 2 and Logic 8 both working.

Anyone else lose their video? I get the white apple screen, the blue screen comes on for a few seconds and then it's gone.

More to add, I plugged in an external monitor to see what's going on but that shut off as well but when I did that thing with the keyboard to switch between LCD and CRT, I got a picture that looks like it's being sent with the wrong refresh rate... It's a Dell D620 with GMA950.

You might have set the wrong partition active so...... get the thread on the forum by searching for B0 error and it will show you how to get your partition active!`?

Sticman

Well, this isn't quite flawless. I tried using it and when I booted I got a b0 errror. At least it's better than a blinking cursor?

You might have set the wrong partition active so...... get the thread on the forum by searching for B0 error and it will show you how to get your partition active!`?

Sticman

I used a brand new disk and the same f'ing thing happened

I am using kalyway's make bootable HD for Leopard DVD now, that should work

edit: Well, that worked with your postpatch on the first try. Thank god that CD is still around on torrents.

@shaanky98

@BJMoose

Great stuff , your script is solid , I have managed to get a working upgraded 10.5.1.

Here's what I did :

1) set my BIOS in my BADAXE2 mobo to IDE and not AHCI (I know BJMoose uses AHCI , not sure

what the difference is ?)

2) installed a clean BrazilMac 10.5 using MBR (tried with GUID , got the "b0 error" )

3) did not use BrazilMac PostPatch,

4) booted again off the BrazilMac's DVD

5) opened terminal plugged in my USB stick

6) ran your patch.sh

7) answered Yes to all questions ( one question is , even though I installed with Brazilmacs

DVD , I still accepted the TOH , are the kernels the same ?)

8) rebooted , pulled out my USB stick and BrazilMac DVD.

... and voila ... it worked ,

When I start my system and I hit F10 to see EFI bootloader , I see my SATA drive as a boot

option, I select it and it boots to 10.5.0

When i look at my "About this Mac" I see 10.5.0 with 4GHz proc ( funny but who cares , it works :-) )

Another strange thing is , if i select "More info" , my "System pProfiler" tries to open but then crashes. Any comments ? have you seen this as well now that your are running EFI ?

I then select "Software Update" and click on "OSX 10.5.1" , the 109 meg downloads , runs and reboots.

A reboot later I can login in and Voila again !!!! , I see 10.5.1 in my Mac OS version

Anotehr issue:

I see your rig has a Nvidia Quadrro 4400 card ? I have one but it never worked with my BrazilMac Leopard installation. Only now after your patch can I use this card in my Leopard box.

I have installed iMovie but get an error of no QE support. is there anyway we can mofify the driv

r to get QEE support for iMovie ?

BJMoose please can you comment on the benefits of using ACHI instead of IDE ? do we loose

something ?

Thanx again shaanky98 for your great script !!!!!!!!!!!

It's not so much about losing something, it's about gaining something. AHCI allows you to take advantage of the NCQ features of your SATA drives. NCQ allows several commands to be sent to your hard drive at the same time and it makes it more efficient. I don't know about making the drive physically faster, but theoretically that's supposed to be the case. Haven't really tested it out. The only disadvantage to AHCI is if you didn't add the SATA drivers into your windows config (with F6) when you first installed windows. If not, windows won't boot under AHCI and you're forced to either stay with IDE or change your Bios settings everytime you boot up the other operating system.

First and foremost, I want to say that this is one helluva script.

I have a P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard with a P4 3.0ghz processor, 2GB RAM. It's a good computer - kinda old, probably will upgrade in the future, but money is kinda tight at the moment so I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, now that you know me and my setup, I'll explain my problem.

I've gotten Leopard to work just fine - I found the right drivers I need for my on board ethernet, as well as drivers for my video card - the one problem I have is updating OSX to 10.5.1.

I've tried the patch numerous times, and re-installed OSX numerous times.

When I installed the patch, I said YES to everything except expanding the monitor (causes problems).

When I didn't install the ToH patch, the computer would not boot. When I installed the ToH patch, the computer boots.

When I go to preferences and check out the computer, it says that the computer is registered to 'to be filled out by owner' or something like that.

If anyone has any experience with this problem, or cares to chime in, feel free. I'm usually good with figuring this stuff out, but right now I'm stuck.

Thanks,

Brandon

TeoMcDohl@gmail.com