10.5.2 "the largest and most important intermediate system update ever released by Apple."

i_am...me

45 posts in this topic

... probably.

We actually have no way of knowing. What if apple decided to introduce something that specifically targets PC-EFI? or dsmos.kext? I highly doubt they would, but we need to wait and see.

Anyway, the 'big deal' about this update is supposedly the new intel compilers, which will generate more efficient and faster-executing code. ie 10.5.2 will be fast on intel.

Yep, looks like we might be going back to the days of modified kernels (some of us never left those days).

Way, way, way too early to determine, though.

And this could be great news for us Mac users... Leopard, albeit great, has kinks to be worked out (and display drivers to be updated! :@)

I don't see how this update will target breaking Hackintoshes. In fact, I can't see why Apple would care about targeting us. Let's face it, every Hackintosh user out there is using it because they can't afford a Mac at the moment, and will most certainly be purchasing a Mac as their next computer. These are future Apple customers, I can't understand why Apple would want to {censored} them off. If anything, they would want to try and woo them over to the dark side, since they are already torn between the dark and light sides. :D

Even then, it would be hard to break us. PC EFI only relies on one hacked kext (dsmos), and even if Apple did break that, there's an army of hackers out there living in their parent's basements just waiting to crack a new software protection scheme.

every Hackintosh user out there is using it because they can't afford a Mac at the moment, and will most certainly be purchasing a Mac as their next computer.

Not true. I rather have a Hackintosh than a Mac Pro, as the Mac Pro is as loud as a hairdryer and I want an absolutely silent computer.

Let's face it, every Hackintosh user out there is using it because they can't afford a Mac at the moment, and will most certainly be purchasing a Mac as their next computer.

Or because Apple-Computers are:

Overpriced.

Underpowered.

Un-expandable.

Un-upgradeable.

I'm sure we'll be fine from this update. Like most people said, there are people out there who are willing to continue the progress of OSx86. And hey, even if it does break it we still have a fully working install of Tiger and early Leopard. ;)

-Stell

Soo... they are fixing bugs, optimizing code with a new intel compiler (most likely adding SSE4 and more streamlined support for cross core communication), possibly adding back in a few things they had to leave out of the gold copy. In fact if they get all of the big problems everyone is having taken care of, this will be the soonest Apple will have made an OS X release stable after its RTM (ie tiger took until 10.4.3 or .4 depending on your hardware and uses).

I still have to see how anything in the story shows its bad news to us. Heck, I am hopping one of those new kexts supports my mobo's nic in it so I can get back to gigabit speeds again. :P

you missed to say:

un-friendly

un-usable

un-worthy

they don't work

more?

I beg to differ. Some hackintoshes are nearly 100% compatible out of the box, and have more potential than any Apple computer.

I've never really come by a half-assed Hack... the ones I've used are rock solid.

However, They're not friendly. So, if you like to pay for your friends, buy a Mac.

I beg to differ. Some hackintoshes are nearly 100% compatible out of the box, and have more potential than any Apple computer.

I know I was talking about Apple Computers with my post. I think macgirl may have been as well.

Geez, another update so soon? Did Apple move it's software development to Redmond? What gives? I mean, isn't this what folks here criticize Microsoft for?

What does it matter? As long as Apple gets their sh*t fixed, I'm happy.

Microsoft is... well... disliked because of their insane amount of updates that hardly fix any problems.

Apple releases plenty of updates, sure, but it takes out a lot of bugs.

And as a side note, 10.5.2 better fix tons.

Geez, another update so soon? Did Apple move it's software development to Redmond? What gives? I mean, isn't this what folks here criticize Microsoft for?

You don't seem to realize that a patch from microsoft is on average 160 days in the making...

Microsoft has not released SP1 for Vista.

Apple is working on the _second_ update to Leopard.

If Apple were "being like Microsoft" here, they'd mention that an update was coming some day and then work on it for over a year before releasing a beta version or release candidate of it (?!) to the public. Apple's different here. They fix the problems and release the software in a timely fashion. Applauded by me.