Full Install Guide GA P35-DS3P

socal swimmer

314 posts in this topic

Given how the sound card isn't even recognized as a device with AHCI enabled under XP Home 32 bit, I'm worried that'll break it again and will be hell to clean up. It's a last resort I guess, but preferably I want to do it without XP needing AHCI.

The one thing I thought of was using the BIOS to disable the other SATA controller when not using it. For example, when I want to boot to XP, I disable the ICH9R AHCI SATA controller that Leopard is on. When I want to boot to OS X, I enable it and disable the Gigabyte IDE SATA controller XP is on. It's pretty ghetto, but it's not too complicated and I don't see any reason I'll ever need both controllers enabled simultaneously. However, if you guys can think of a better solution, let's hear it.

EDIT: Any idea if GRUB works with multiple controllers and Leopard? I'm thinking I could disconnect my XP drive during Leopard's install, then after Leopard is installed, make a separate partition on the drive for GRUB, mark it as primary, and set it to boot Leopard. If GRUB works with multiple controllers in mixed modes, I could also add an entry for XP on the other controller in IDE mode.

EDIT 2: The one thing I've been neglecting is my DVD drive which is also SATA. Again, the main solution I'm looking for here is to be able to run Leopard with the drive in IDE mode instead of AHCI. If anyone could please try this for me it'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting this error whenever I try to boot to a OSX86 install DVD (I've tried KALYWAY 10.5.1 and iATKOS v1.0i):

System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Any ideas?

My system:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

GA P35-DS3P

4GB DDR2800 Corsair

BFG 8800GT OC 512MB

500GB SATAII HDD

200GB SATAII HDD

LG DVD burner (On IDE)

In VMWare with iATKOS it crashes just after the grey screen (Not VMWare, the VM it's running) and with KALYWAY after sitting at the grey screen loading for a little bit a MacOS error appears saying the computer needs to be restarted. I tried VMWare because that's how I installed it last time.

based on a search, your problem is that you are using an IDE DVD drive. This is incompatible with osx86. If you get a SATA drive, the error should stop happening.

This thread deals with your exact problem (though its a different mobo) and he fixed it by getting a SATA dvd drive.

Dear forum-members,

I´m in dire need of help after having gone through socal swimmer´s excellent tutorial, having cross-referenced it to other tutorials, checked all methods of getting the EFI-patch installed......... it´s still not working!

Leopard´s from the full install disk that came with my MacBook and has been patched with Brazilmacs patches

atm all other drives aren´t hooked up ´cause I didn´t want any interference in the setup

problem:

no matter what I do, following the steps AS WRITTEN (yes, I can RTFM), not getting error messages from the install scripts at all, whenever I reboot after having run EFI.sh, the system still starts with the wonderful "verifying DMI Pool Data...."

what now?

Thanks a bundle,

michael

First, open your BIOS boot menu to make sure that you are trying to boot the correct hard drive. This is simple, but good to check.

The error means that the hard drive is not bootable. For a little background: When BIOS begins booting the hard drive, it takes whatever is on the first sector of the hard drive and executes. If there is a problem with this executable file in the first sector, then the hard drive is not bootable and you get that error.

Part of the EFI.sh is copying a file to the boot sector (the first sector) of the hard drive. that is what this command is:

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=$DRIVE bs=400 count=1

it copies a file byte for byte from the thumbdrive the file is on, to the boot sector of the hard drive. If this copy process has any problems, then your hard drive will not be bootable.

Just for the sake of argument, boot into the dvd, open diskutility, CONFIRM the disk identifier (probably disk0), and go into terminal. Run each EFI.sh command by hand.

how much experience/knowledge do you have in terminal?

Thank you consolation for your help, but I have XP 64 Bit, not Vista. I have been installing the mobo's drivers as setup starts up. That, along with setting the partition as FAT32 and disabling AHCI mode, is the only way that setup will see my hard drive. Setup then converts it to NTFS. And then it copies files and everything seems okay until it reboots and it gives me error message i mentioned above.

*sigh*....

that is a strange problem. I didn't even have to install drivers during startup for Vista. I remember is being pretty straightforward, other than erasing and formatting the PARTITION that I made in OS X.

hey socal swimmer,re did the install, and this time i did'nt deleted the partition, instead just formatted it from FAT32 to NTFS, and also kept the second small partition intact.everything working ok!thanks for all, now i have a dual-boot darwin based Leopard / Vista system, fully working :)hey,you can install in IDE mode, AHCI off, and after the XP install do this:http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831it works well

thank you for the feedback! It is always nice to here from someone who solved their problem. Especially when they contribute their knowledge....

Is it absolutely necessary to set it to AHCI mode in order to install Leopard? If so, can AHCI be disabled and the ICH9R set back to IDE mode after the install? I ask because I need XP 32 bit on my machine for the purpose of gaming and the integrated sound absolutely refuses to work in Windows if I have the SATA controller set to AHCI. I worried it had something to do with me slipstreaming the AHCI drivers into my install disc, but apparently it's a known issue from my searching. I checked the device manager and it doesn't even seem to see any sound device whatsoever and the both the included and updated drivers don't do a thing. Quite frustrating.If necessary, I can have XP on its own hard drive and move the SATA plug to the Gigabyte SATA controller and put that in IDE mode while switching the ICH9R controller to AHCI mode. Then I have a spare 300GB SATA 1.5Gbps drive I could use for Leopard on the ICH9R controller. However, I want to be able to do a dual boot setup and I have no idea how to do this or if it's even possible with each OS on its own hard drive, let alone each on its own SATA controller.So yeah, any suggestions here would be great.
If you press F12 right after poweron of your machine, youll be able to select the harddrive you like to boot from. Perfect way of switching the system if you have a harddisk for each system (what i prefer). Thats how it works here perfectly.
Dear forum-members,I´m in dire need of help after having gone through socal swimmer´s excellent tutorial, having cross-referenced it to other tutorials, checked all methods of getting the EFI-patch installed......... it´s still not working!System:Gigabyte P35 DS3P (who would have thought that?)E4400 Intel C2D running at 10x200MHz4x1GB of PC800 RAM (Kingston) running at specsAC Freezer 7 Pro (CPU at 28°C)Club3D GForce 6600GT running at specsSamsung SH-D163B SATA DVD-ROM on port 1Maxtor 160GB 6Y160M0 on port 0Logitech USB Keyboard and PS/2 MouseLeopard´s from the full install disk that came with my MacBook and has been patched with Brazilmacs patchesatm all other drives aren´t hooked up ´cause I didn´t want any interference in the setupproblem:no matter what I do, following the steps AS WRITTEN (yes, I can RTFM), not getting error messages from the install scripts at all, whenever I reboot after having run EFI.sh, the system still starts with the wonderful "verifying DMI Pool Data...."what now?Thanks a bundle,michael
Hmmm... It should work perfect with your components... Check your BIOS settings, do you have AHCI Mode selected for the S-ATA ports?I didnt use any kind of patched DVD, just the original Leo DVD (Retail, amybe its the MacBook DVD that causes problems?)I have setup a disk with Leo from Kalyway installer, boot from that, format my second harddrive for the new install, install EFI, install Leo from the retail DVD, removie AppleEFIRuntime.kext, add dsmos.kext and a few others, and it boots fine.What do you mean about "whenever i reboot after having run EFI.sh"? After EFI install, nothing else is on the disk, so what to boot from? Can you write down you exact steps how you tried to install everything?

based on a search, your problem is that you are using an IDE DVD drive. This is incompatible with osx86. If you get a SATA drive, the error should stop happening.

This thread deals with your exact problem (though its a different mobo) and he fixed it by getting a SATA dvd drive.

Unfortunately this seems to be the case.. Thanks. Oh well, I'll go down tomorrow and pick up a SATA DVD burner, they're like $39 or so these days. Are there any brands in specific which are a better choice?

Dear socal swimmer,First of all, thanks a million for the quick reply, very much appreciated!>First, open your BIOS boot menu to make sure that you are trying to boot the correct hard drive. This is simple, but good >to check. Did that, it´s the only HD connected and I press F12 every time I boot to choose either the DVD-drive or HD, as appropriate..>The error means that the hard drive is not bootable. For a little background: When BIOS begins booting the hard drive, it >takes whatever is on the first sector of the hard drive and executes. If there is a problem with this executable file in the >first sector, then the hard drive is not bootable and you get that error.Mayhap my drive is too old or somehow defective? I´m getting a new one (that´ll be drive #6 in my PC then...;) -don´t worry, all others are disconnected...>Part of the EFI.sh is copying a file to the boot sector (the first sector) of the hard drive. that is what this command is:>CODE>dd if=./guid/boot0 of=$DRIVE bs=400 count=1>it copies a file byte for byte from the thumbdrive the file is on, to the boot sector of the hard drive. If this copy process >has any problems, then your hard drive will not be bootable.It would be nice to find out why it doesn´t do that, cause no errors are reported, but then....>Just for the sake of argument, boot into the dvd, open diskutility, CONFIRM the disk identifier (probably disk0), and go into >terminal. Yup, that´s the first thing I did. Even though the GUID-scheme was used as recommended, the disk identifier was always disk0..>Run each EFI.sh command by hand.I´ll try that this evening when I come out of the OR..>how much experience/knowledge do you have in terminal?Let´s just say that I try to stay away from any anachronistic means of using a computer (even though I had my first Apple II in 1978, then C64 in 1983, Amiga in 1986, Powerbook 140 in 1992, PC from 1995 on, MacBook 2007), which is why I want to use OSX on my PC in the first place ;)Are there any black magic tricks in terminal up your sleeve?Again, thank you for your kind response.Michael

If you press F12 right after poweron of your machine, youll be able to select the harddrive you like to boot from. Perfect way of switching the system if you have a harddisk for each system (what i prefer). Thats how it works here perfectly.Hmmm... It should work perfect with your components... Check your BIOS settings, do you have AHCI Mode selected for the S-ATA ports?I didnt use any kind of patched DVD, just the original Leo DVD (Retail, amybe its the MacBook DVD that causes problems?)I have setup a disk with Leo from Kalyway installer, boot from that, format my second harddrive for the new install, install EFI, install Leo from the retail DVD, removie AppleEFIRuntime.kext, add dsmos.kext and a few others, and it boots fine.What do you mean about "whenever i reboot after having run EFI.sh"? After EFI install, nothing else is on the disk, so what to boot from? Can you write down you exact steps how you tried to install everything?
Hiya,The installation steps are exactly as socal swimmer wrote in his tutorial... Yes, I use F12, yes, AHCI is selected. The reboot after installing EFi is to check and see if it´s really on the drive (which it obviously isn´t!) as socal swimmer recommends in the tutorial. My guess is that somehow my drive won´t allow the install of EFI (how can that be?)... I´ll try with a different Leo version.Thanks for your help,Michael

Unfortunately this seems to be the case.. Thanks. Oh well, I'll go down tomorrow and pick up a SATA DVD burner, they're like $39 or so these days. Are there any brands in specific which are a better choice?

Apple uses Pioneer drives, so they will be recognised as apple supported/shipped and work fine with things like iDVD. My IDE Pioneer 111D works fine, just have to set the gigabyte (purple) sata controler to IDE mode in the bios. Make sure it's set to master and on the black clip of the ide cable - should work....

O.k. I think I might have found one possible error - this is the log of the brazilmac prepatch and its spitting out some errors I can´t make anything of.

Last login: Mon Jan  7 19:43:50 on ttys000
Macintosh:~ XXXXXXXX$ sudo -s
bash-3.2# cd desktop
bash-3.2# ./9a581-patch.sh
Converting DMG to editable image...
Driver Descriptor Map (DDM : 0) lesen …
BOOTCAMP (Apple_ISO : 1) lesen …
Apple (Apple_partition_map : 2) lesen …
Macintosh (Apple_Driver_ATAPI : 3) lesen …
Mac_OS_X (Apple_HFS : 4) lesen …
................................................................................
Dauer: 10m 13.876s
Geschwindigkeit: 12.5M Byte/s
Ersparnis: 0.0 %
created: /Users/XXXXXXXXX/Desktop/leopard.iso.cdr
Mounting new ISO read-write...
/dev/disk1          	Apple_partition_scheme         	
/dev/disk1s1        	Apple_partition_map            	
/dev/disk1s2        	Apple_Driver_ATAPI             	
/dev/disk1s3        	Apple_HFS                      	/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD
Waiting for leopard.iso to be mounted...
Renaming image to osx86dvd...
Volume on disk1s3 renamed to osx86dvd
Removing Xcode Tools...
Removing X11user and 6 languages files...
Removing minibless...
Removing printer packages...
Removing OSInstall...
Removing Kernel files...
Removing Boot-related things...
Removing Extensions...
Removing files Needed for kernels without power_management_init called
Replacing minibless...
Replacing OSInstall.mpkg...
Replacing boot-related files...
Replacing Kernel...
Replacing extensions...
ALL PATCHES APPLIED !!!
Creating bootable DVD in 10 seconds...
You might want to CTRL-Z and inspect /Volumes/osx86dev now.
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
Total translation table size: 2048
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 0
Path table size(bytes): 10
Max brk space used 0
241 extents written (0 MB)
Creating a bootable image and remove any previous copies...
................................................................................
created: /Users/XXXXXXX/Desktop/Leo_Patched_DVD.dmg

Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rdisk2'
#:                type name    length   base    ( size )
1: Apple_partition_map Apple       63 @ 1      
2:          Apple_Free Extra  9177024 @ 64      (  4.4G)

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=9177088 (4.4G)
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

Creating partition on the image...
Copying data onto the image...
900+0 records in
900+0 records out
460800 bytes transferred in 0.645041 secs (714373 bytes/sec)
Initialized /dev/rdisk2s3 as a 4480 MB HFS Plus volume
DITTOING...
BLESSING...
umount: unmount(/mnt): Resource busy
"disk2" unmounted.
hdiutil: couldn't eject "disk2" - Fehler 49168
Update prebinding...
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/QuickTime Player.app/Contents/MacOS/QuickTime Player: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/Applications/iChat.app/Contents/MacOS/iChat: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Shortcut.framework/Versions/A/Shortcut: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Libraries/libhotspot.dylib: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/QTKit: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeComponents.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeComponents: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeH264.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeH264: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeMPEG4.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeMPEG4: can't open file, errno=2
update_dyld_shared_cache: warning can't use root /Volumes/osx86dvd/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeImporters.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeImporters: can't open file, errno=2
Renaming to original image name...
Volume on disk1s3 renamed to Mac OS X Install DVD
"disk1" unmounted.
"disk1" ejected.
Renaming image to actual extension type...
hdiutil: mount failed - Keine aktivierbaren Dateisysteme
Disk Utility Tool
Usage:  diskutil rename MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode newName
       diskutil renameVolume MountPoint|DiskIdentifier|DeviceNode newName
The new name is subject to file system-specific naming restrictions.
Rename and renameVolume are synonyms.
Ownership of the specified volume may be required.
Example:  diskutil rename /Volumes/SomeDisk SomeNewName
hdiutil: eject failed - Es existiert keine Datei und kein Verzeichnis dieser Art
Removing tempdisk and useless dirs...

ALL Done !!
bash-3.2# 
bash-3.2# 

apparently prebinding (WTFIT?) ain´t doin´as it´s s´posed to..... (oh and the XXXXs in the directories were of course changed by me :P )

Do I need a different Leopard Disc to convert?

Went out and bought a new 500GB SATA drive :D which I hope can be coerced into accepting EFI - if not, something else is terribly wrong! :)

Thanks again guys, you´re all stars

Michael

I have been looking into building a Mac for a while and in Mid December I decided it was time. While hunting around I found this thread and saw how well the GA P35-DS3P seemed to work for you guys. I ended up ordering...

Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P REV 2.0

CPU

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2G 65N 2M(Stock Cooling)

RAM

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

VGA

PNY GeForce 7300GT 256MB

HDD

Western Digital 80GB SATA

I did the EFI patch, installed iATkOS 1.0ir2, installed video drivers via iATkOS and soundcard drivers Via AppleHDA Patcher. I ran into a lot of problems while getting to this point but I’ll explain them and what I did at a later point. Before I got around to doing the EFI patch I booted off the CD to get into the OS. I waited till I got the EFI patch working before posting this so I wouldn’t clutter up this forum with repetitive questions. Since everyone in this thread has the same motherboard maybe someone here can help me.

I have an HV20 Camcorder and it can film in 1080p / 24p but requires some annoying post filming steps to achieve this goal. Now I have to use JES Deinterlacer to interpolate the frames (not deinterlace). This is fairly simple to do on the Mac but I have run into a problem. While converting these clips of video I get a “You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.” I’m not sure what is causing this. This process is maxing out the CPU and writing to the hard drive. I was starting to believe that it was a problem with the program but I have received the error message while exporting video and rendering video from final cut pro. The CPU isn’t getting to hot… I placed my hand on the heat sink and it felt fairly cold. I even under clocked the CPU, Ram and FSB to see if that would fix anything but it didn’t. It only happens after 10-20 minutes of rendering or exporting. Might I be missing some kind of Chipset driver that would be getting too stressed by constantly writing to the hard drive? I might need to post this as its own thread but I figured I would try with you guys first in case someone here has had this kind of problem before.

Ahoy chaps! First post and all that.

Socal swimmer - thanks for all the information, it's going swimmingly ;) I bought all your recommended hardware and have a working system, but still some problems with my xfx nvidia 7600GT (256mb, 2xDVI, 1xTV)

I have a pre-patched image, but used your postpatch script that you linked to in the first post.

Still, when booting, I get the grey apple boot screen, then a flash, and then just blackness. The monitor doesn't power down, or display an "out of range" error.

I have also removed Natit.kext and tried NVinject 0.2e. I've done rm -Rf on the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache after each copy.

I can only get 1024x768 if I remove Natit and NVinject .kexts. I would like the high res to work :angel:

===In return===

A quick tip which will save you from booting into the DVD each time if you are just copying/chmodding/chowning .kext files:

Boot into single user mode by pressing F8 repeatedly after "Verifying DMI pool data"

When you get to the root# prompt, type the following:

mount_hfs -w /dev/diskXsY /

(as per socal swimmer's disk numbers) then:

mkdir /usb

Now you need to find what disk number your usb thumbdrive gets when it's plugged in:

ls /dev/disk*

then insert your usb drive and then do it again:

ls /dev/disk*

The one that wasn't in the list before is your thumbdrive. Say it's /dev/diskAsB (substituting real digits, obviously)

Then do:

mount -t msdos /dev/diakAsB /usb

Then your drive is mounted.

ls /usb, and you'll see its contents.

Then do your copies the same way as from terminal when booted into the DVD, but substituting /usb for /Volumes/PATCHER

Hope that saves some time!

Hi there! It´s me again, the onoxious noob who couldn´t get it to run...........

till now!

New drive, new tries from step one onwards and PRESTO! EFI is now installed :D

Man, that was really driving me nuts for a while, I thought I was just too plain dumb (my wife says yes :( )

Installation is now in progress (no more real-time infos from now on, I promise :) )

CU,

Michael

I have been looking into building a Mac for a while and in Mid December I decided it was time. While hunting around I found this thread and saw how well the GA P35-DS3P seemed to work for you guys. I ended up ordering...

Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P REV 2.0

CPU

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.2G 65N 2M(Stock Cooling)

RAM

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

VGA

PNY GeForce 7300GT 256MB

HDD

Western Digital 80GB SATA

I did the EFI patch, installed iATkOS 1.0ir2, installed video drivers via iATkOS and soundcard drivers Via AppleHDA Patcher. I ran into a lot of problems while getting to this point but I’ll explain them and what I did at a later point. Before I got around to doing the EFI patch I booted off the CD to get into the OS. I waited till I got the EFI patch working before posting this so I wouldn’t clutter up this forum with repetitive questions. Since everyone in this thread has the same motherboard maybe someone here can help me.

I have an HV20 Camcorder and it can film in 1080p / 24p but requires some annoying post filming steps to achieve this goal. Now I have to use JES Deinterlacer to interpolate the frames (not deinterlace). This is fairly simple to do on the Mac but I have run into a problem. While converting these clips of video I get a “You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button.” I’m not sure what is causing this. This process is maxing out the CPU and writing to the hard drive. I was starting to believe that it was a problem with the program but I have received the error message while exporting video and rendering video from final cut pro. The CPU isn’t getting to hot… I placed my hand on the heat sink and it felt fairly cold. I even under clocked the CPU, Ram and FSB to see if that would fix anything but it didn’t. It only happens after 10-20 minutes of rendering or exporting. Might I be missing some kind of Chipset driver that would be getting too stressed by constantly writing to the hard drive? I might need to post this as its own thread but I figured I would try with you guys first in case someone here has had this kind of problem before.

that restart message is called a kernel panic, in case you didn't know.

I am surprised that you could even boot up, as I was told that having 2GB chips of ram didn't work on this motherboard. congrats!

I think that your problem is related to something else. You should probably search/post elsewhere, as I have no ideas...

Ahoy chaps! First post and all that.

Socal swimmer - thanks for all the information, it's going swimmingly :D I bought all your recommended hardware and have a working system, but still some problems with my xfx nvidia 7600GT (256mb, 2xDVI, 1xTV)

I have a pre-patched image, but used your postpatch script that you linked to in the first post.

Still, when booting, I get the grey apple boot screen, then a flash, and then just blackness. The monitor doesn't power down, or display an "out of range" error.

I have also removed Natit.kext and tried NVinject 0.2e. I've done rm -Rf on the Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache after each copy.

I can only get 1024x768 if I remove Natit and NVinject .kexts. I would like the high res to work :D

It is strange that the video card is having problems. Mine didn't have any trouble at all.... Did you change any settings on your BIOS (other than what I recommended)?

Try putting Natit.kext back in (it is located at "brazilmac patch/leopatch/ext/Natit.kext"), and plug your monitor into the port closest to the motherboard. See if that works.

Are you using DVI, VGA->DVI, or TV Out?

What do you mean by pre-patched image? Did you download the retail dvd and then patch it with the brazilmac patch?

try booting in verbose mode:

after "Verifying DMI Pool Data...", when the hard drive starts to boot, press F8 repeatedly. when you get into boot options, type "-v" <press enter>. It should display a bunch of messages. If it freezes at the end, then take a picture and post it...

Hi there! It´s me again, the onoxious noob who couldn´t get it to run...........

till now!

New drive, new tries from step one onwards and PRESTO! EFI is now installed :D

Man, that was really driving me nuts for a while, I thought I was just too plain dumb (my wife says yes :D )

Installation is now in progress (no more real-time infos from now on, I promise :) )

CU,

Michael

glad to hear it!

I have an IDE DVD Drive, would this drive work if i put it through a ide-to-usb converter and ran it as a usb-dvd device? This would save me ripping my SATA DVD drive out of my other comp.

Secondaly if I apply your guide to the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD and insatlled the efi stuff would i then get a working OS?

atm, without doing the efi stuff it dont work, just constantly resets.

I have a:

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R DDR2/DDR3 Edition.

Q6600 G0

4 GB (4x1) GEIL DDR 2 800mhz)

8800GT (swaping this out for my old x1950xt to install osx)

SATA Seagate HDD

I have an IDE DVD Drive, would this drive work if i put it through a ide-to-usb converter and ran it as a usb-dvd device? This would save me ripping my SATA DVD drive out of my other comp.

Secondaly if I apply your guide to the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD and insatlled the efi stuff would i then get a working OS?

atm, without doing the efi stuff it dont work, just constantly resets.

I have a:

Gigabyte P35C-DS3R DDR2/DDR3 Edition.

Q6600 G0

4 GB (4x1) GEIL DDR 2 800mhz)

8800GT (swaping this out for my old x1950xt to install osx)

SATA Seagate HDD

Why don't you try?

I'm not sure about kalyway, but many others have had success, so I'm sure it will work just fine.

I just a got a new ASUS DVD burner (DRW-2014L1T) which is SATA and have both the latest iATKOS and KALYWAYS burned so I'll see how they go.

Is there a preferred one to go with? Like one which does EFI/vanilla kernel better or anything? Also, what's the best Nvidia driver, Natit, Titan, NVInject or 8800? I have an 8800GT 512MB.

So, it installed perfectly and when it reboots it goes to the Darwin loading page (5 seconds) than the next loading page which is grey with the Apple logo but after about 15 seconds there it says the computer needs to be restarted.

So, I ran with the -v flag and this is the last message/where it hangs:

Jan 9 12:39:37 localhost mds[25]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/EF454671-65B5-4A8D-9FAD-F2D 79745 ADFA)(Error) IndexCI in ContentIndexOpenBulk: No index

Just before this message the last ones are starting Login Window Application and before that I think something about the ethernet and than before that NVInject is doing it's thing. This is with iATKOS v1.0i, EFI chosen with correct kexts and the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

GA P35-DS3P

4GB DDR2800 Corsair

BFG 8800GT OC 512MB

500GB SATAII HDD (Vista; not plugged in while testing Leopard though)

200GB SATAII HDD (Leopard)

ASUS DVD Burner (SATA)

Hi there all,

just wanted to inform you that Leo is now running very nicely on my new harddrive/PC and this weekend I´ll install all the other patches (audio, network etc.).

Thanks so much for your help, I´m very grateful and indebted to you all.

Oh, BTW, can the contents of the harddrive be mirrored with any tool like Ghost or similar to facilitate later reinstalls should the system get mangled (not that it should happen under MacOS)?

Bye,

Michael :D

Hi people, I´m back with another problem (of course :thumbsdown_anim: ),

Like I posted above, my system runs fine with just the 500GB drive and DVD-Rom plugged in.

Now I wanted to get my windows xp up & running again, which I have installed on one of my other harddrives. So stupid old me thought he could just plug ´em all in (the 4 other SATA drives, start her up and choose to boot from whatever disk i please via F12.......

As you can guess, that ain´t going so well (no {censored}, sherlock).

But not only does the system not boot correctly, it now no longer recognizes the 500GB harddrive on which I installed LEO. It also won´t boot XP (due to ACHI, right?). I could just as well follow socal swimmer´s excellent guide on how to install a dual-boot system, but I want to keep my systems on separate harddrives, and the way I see it, I now can´t boot either way even before the bootloader´s being started....

My config:

GA P35-DS3P /E4400 stock speed

4GB MEM at 800MHz

port0: 0device detected

port1: DVD SH-D163B

port 2: ST 3200822AS (200GB Seagate)

port3: Maxtor 6B160M0 (160GB Maxtor)

port4: ST 3320620AS (320 GB Seagate)

port5: Samsung HD 321KJ

the burners on the IDE ports are recognized upon boot.

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what I´m doing wrong? :(

The main thing distressing me is that my harddrive on port0 is no longer recognized after having hooked up the other drives to ports 2-5.

I would yet again be very thankful for any insight you might have......

Cheers,

Michael

So, it installed perfectly and when it reboots it goes to the Darwin loading page (5 seconds) than the next loading page which is grey with the Apple logo but after about 15 seconds there it says the computer needs to be restarted.

So, I ran with the -v flag and this is the last message/where it hangs:

Jan 9 12:39:37 localhost mds[25]: (/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1/Stores/EF454671-65B5-4A8D-9FAD-F2D 79745 ADFA)(Error) IndexCI in ContentIndexOpenBulk: No index

Just before this message the last ones are starting Login Window Application and before that I think something about the ethernet and than before that NVInject is doing it's thing. This is with iATKOS v1.0i, EFI chosen with correct kexts and the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

GA P35-DS3P

4GB DDR2800 Corsair

BFG 8800GT OC 512MB

500GB SATAII HDD (Vista; not plugged in while testing Leopard though)

200GB SATAII HDD (Leopard)

ASUS DVD Burner (SATA)

hmm.... None of those should cause a kernel panic. Can you do me a favor? When it hangs (with -v), take a picture of the entire screen and post it. When I did it the first time, I too had a kernel panic, and i remember the text that helped me being in the middle or towards the top, and not the last 3 lines.

good job about booting with -v. It is nice to see that...

Hi there all,

just wanted to inform you that Leo is now running very nicely on my new harddrive/PC and this weekend I´ll install all the other patches (audio, network etc.).

Thanks so much for your help, I´m very grateful and indebted to you all.

Oh, BTW, can the contents of the harddrive be mirrored with any tool like Ghost or similar to facilitate later reinstalls should the system get mangled (not that it should happen under MacOS)?

Bye,

Michael ;)

it can't be mirrored with Ghost, but there is one way.... TIME MACHINE!!!! Also, you can use disk utility to copy the entire drive to another (or external) hard drive.

Hi people, I´m back with another problem (of course :( ),

Like I posted above, my system runs fine with just the 500GB drive and DVD-Rom plugged in.

Now I wanted to get my windows xp up & running again, which I have installed on one of my other harddrives. So stupid old me thought he could just plug ´em all in (the 4 other SATA drives, start her up and choose to boot from whatever disk i please via F12.......

As you can guess, that ain´t going so well (no {censored}, sherlock).

But not only does the system not boot correctly, it now no longer recognizes the 500GB harddrive on which I installed LEO. It also won´t boot XP (due to ACHI, right?). I could just as well follow socal swimmer´s excellent guide on how to install a dual-boot system, but I want to keep my systems on separate harddrives, and the way I see it, I now can´t boot either way even before the bootloader´s being started....

My config:

GA P35-DS3P /E4400 stock speed

4GB MEM at 800MHz

port0: 0device detected

port1: DVD SH-D163B

port 2: ST 3200822AS (200GB Seagate)

port3: Maxtor 6B160M0 (160GB Maxtor)

port4: ST 3320620AS (320 GB Seagate)

port5: Samsung HD 321KJ

the burners on the IDE ports are recognized upon boot.

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what I´m doing wrong? ;)

The main thing distressing me is that my harddrive on port0 is no longer recognized after having hooked up the other drives to ports 2-5.

Cheers,

Michael

so when you say it won't boot, what happens? Does it just do an endless reboot, or does it hang at "Verifying DMI Pool Data....", or somewhere else?

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what I´m doing wrong? :D

Once you switch to AHCI, you will need to install the driver that's on the mobo CD for vista/xp to see the drive. It's in you manual. Basically you will need to extract and place the driver on a USB stick. Then, when xp boots it will flash "press F6 to install 3rd part scsi or raid controller" press F6 and install it. (pg. 86) With vista you'll get a blank drive choice screen, select load driver. Your new HDs will become visible and you can install windows. Then, you can use F12 to select the boot drive.

Hi all

Did anyone have any ideas about Robotskips problem? I have exactly the same error localhost mds[37] etc.

e6750

GA-P35-DS3L mobo

4 gb

Nvidia 8600 gt

sata dvd & HD

Help

121fred

Again, I don't think it is the ethernet or anything. When you boot in verbose mode (-v), and it hangs, take a picture and post it. I remember that when I did it the first time and got a kernel panic, there were several lines of text after the part that talked about my problem, which was the kernel panic.

Just curious, did you ever delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext? That was what caused my problem...

If you post a pic of the screen, I can probably tell you what is wrong.

hmm.... None of those should cause a kernel panic. Can you do me a favor? When it hangs (with -v), take a picture of the entire screen and post it. When I did it the first time, I too had a kernel panic, and i remember the text that helped me being in the middle or towards the top, and not the last 3 lines.

good job about booting with -v. It is nice to see that...

I'll take a photo now and upload it. Oh, and thanks for the comment about using -v, as basic as it is, hah. :)

I don't think I mentioned this in my last post but I also installed the latest kalyways 10.5.1 and it also installed perfectly (Vanilla kernel too, and one thing, some of the loading parts, like going from the grey screen to the actual installer was like 10x as long as iATKOS but hey.. it worked in the end) and it also has the same problem. Kalyways is the one I still have installed so the photo will be from that.

Edit: Here's the photo:

100_0640.jpg

I have a higher resolution version, 3264x2448, that I could upload, I just need a place that won't resize it (Photobucket and Imageshack both do).

Hi allThanks for the input. I've just about had enough at this point but what I've observed so far is that the problem could be related to either the board bios and/or hardware setup. I've swapped cables and drives etc and with each new confieration I've done a new install and with each different one the system gets to a different point when booting(the lastest message says "Package O didn't get an HPET"). I got exactly the same results as Social Swimmer(Thanks for the great Tute) in every stage of the install and yes got the kernal panic and renamed the AppleEFIRuntime.kext(which I now can type really quickly as I've been through the whole process at least a dozen times just today)and then the systen continues to boot to the point alluded to by robotskip or just past it with the latest install."And then depression set in" just to quote Bill Murray in Stripes as I feel there is omething else wrong either a mobo or bios incompatablility or such BTW all my hardware is brand new and I've tried the whole process on Two different hard drives and with an IDE and Sata dvd drive.I was hoping this would be a little easier but alas.Cheers121fredLooks very familiar robotskip my latest boot didn't make it past the loginwindow.app starting line but has done previously but not farcheers

Hi, thanks for the reply, just got some time to look at this again.

It is strange that the video card is having problems. Mine didn't have any trouble at all.... Did you change any settings on your BIOS (other than what I recommended)?

Nope, apart from HPET to 64-bit mode before I installed, as I was getting the "package 0 couldn't get a HPET" error.

Try putting Natit.kext back in (it is located at "brazilmac patch/leopatch/ext/Natit.kext"), and plug your monitor into the port closest to the motherboard. See if that works.

Are you using DVI, VGA->DVI, or TV Out?

Have tried this in both slots with Natit.kext enabled.

I'm using a DVI-VGA converter (I have two different ones).

What do you mean by pre-patched image? Did you download the retail dvd and then patch it with the brazilmac patch?

*cough* I got a torrent of a pre-patched brazilmac image. This could well be the problem. Yeah, it's a torrent but I don't wanna buy leopard before I can get it to work as you can imagine. Still, this could be the cause of my problem. I'm getting an unpatched version at the moment.

try booting in verbose mode:

after "Verifying DMI Pool Data...", when the hard drive starts to boot, press F8 repeatedly. when you get into boot options, type "-v" <press enter>. It should display a bunch of messages. If it freezes at the end, then take a picture and post it...

The trouble is that it doesn't hang in verbose mode, so I can't take a picture before the screen goes black.

I have put OSXvnc on it and tried to start it from the SSH prompt when logged in from my powerbook. It exits with the error "screen mode not supported". Now, I don't know if OSXvnc will actually work on Leopard, so this might not be symptomatic of an error.

I did 'ioreg -l' from an SSH login and redirected output to a text file. Have snipped the display related stuff.

Another strange thing in ioreg caught my eye. Does anyone else have this?

+-o Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X <class Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 5>

| {

| "IOProviderClass" = "IOResources"

| "IOMatchCategory" = "Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X"

| "IOProbeScore" = 0

| "IOClass" = "Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X"

| "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.Dont_Steal_Mac_OS_X"

| "IOResourceMatch" = "IOKit"

| }

ioreg_nvda.txt