Full Install Guide GA P35-DS3P

socal swimmer

314 posts in this topic

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I probably going to build one similar to your config. Do you mind to tell me any other minor problems you have encountered with your P35-DS3P built? e.g. sleep / wakeup / shutdown support

If I need to buy SATA dvd writer and display card, and suggested model?

P.S. I am not a serious gamer, but want to play HD video with my computer.

Thanks a lot!

Alan (from Hong Kong)

Those motherboards should work as well. I say should because I did not personally test them, but many other people have full compatibility, and it is the same steps. So yes, this guide will work for those motherboards.

I would highly recommend getting a SATA dvd drive. IDE has many problems. It may work, or it may not...

as for 100% working, no. This will get you as close as is possible with a hackintosh, but there are always minor problems (certain CDs and DVDs wont eject, cause disk utility and other apps to crash, iDVD doesn't work, and other minor stuff. If you want it to just work, buy a mac.

Get whichever motherboard is best for your needs. They are all equally compatible.

By the way I just wanted to clarify, I purchased iLife 08 today (Excellent software), It had problems running a few of the things that come with iLife such as Garageband and iMovie but after a update using Software Update they worked fine. Just wanted to give the heads up :P

By the way I just wanted to clarify, I purchased iLife 08 today (Excellent software), It had problems running a few of the things that come with iLife such as Garageband and iMovie but after a update using Software Update they worked fine. Just wanted to give the heads up :P
hey you are right! Same problems, same solution.I will add to the end of the guide....

So I finally got it to successfully overclock:

CPU to 3.2GHZ, RAM at 800 MHz (1:1)

I had to unplug the computer for like a minute (while messing with memory and cpu cooler and {censored}), which reset something which made it work better. I also had to use Ctrl-F1 to get advanced settings, and then make sure that the memory timings were not impossible (the first time, one value got set to 0 which caused everything to fail).

XBench: 179 with disk test, 273 without:

Results 178.75

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.1 (9B18)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model P35-DS3P

Drive Type WDC WD2500JD-40HBC0

CPU Test 186.34

Thread Test 249.75

Memory Test 242.28

Quartz Graphics Test 319.16

OpenGL Graphics Test 271.85

User Interface Test 549.32

Disk Test 58.72

Sequential 112.16

Uncached Write 101.06 62.05 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 99.52 56.31 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 154.72 45.28 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 108.02 54.29 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 39.77

Uncached Write 13.74 1.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 101.35 32.45 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 96.01 0.68 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 132.84 24.65 MB/sec [256K blocks]

CPU to 3.2GHZ, RAM at 800 MHz (1:1)

I hope that's 2:1 for your ram... you should be able to hit ~450FSB stable with your chip on air. Intel's 65nm process is mature now so you can't get as much OC on the 1333MHz chips. That's why (IMHO) you're better of buying a cheaper 1066 and putting the extra $$$ towards some other bit of gear.

Hey socal swimmer,

one question:

How did anyone get around that Vista wont let you install on GUID-Partitions? I think there is no way to get around that, except with BootCamp maybe?

Anyway, thank you for your nice guide!

EDIT: Stupid me, forget it. Seems my GPT-Table (or MBR) were defect, i deleted all stuff from my HDD and redid the whole process. So its ok now.

mmm, i getting stuck in the same point, can't install windows vista x64 into a GPT disk..

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

how do i get around this?

mmm, i getting stuck in the same point, can't install windows vista x64 into a GPT disk..

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

how do i get around this?

I think there went something wrong on partitioning your HDD.

The steps for me were

a. Create on partition with GUID Style in Pre-Leo System

b. Install the pc_efi

c. Install Leo

d. In _Leo_ gone into disk tool and add (+) an partition to the HDD where i created the GUID-Partition in step a (disk tool will tell that no data will be deleted)

e. Formating the new Partition in disk tool w/ MS-DOS(FAT)

f. Starting from Vista DVD the Vista install (it told me to format the partition with NTFS)

The steps for me were

b. Install the pc_efi

c. Install Leo

d. In _Leo_ gone into disk tool and add (+) an partition to the HDD where i created the GUID-Partition in step a (disk tool will tell that no data will be deleted)

f. Starting from Vista DVD the Vista install (it told me to format the partition with NTFS)

this is exactly what I did.

I probably can hit 3.6GHz, but I need a better cooler. I am on the stock cooler right now. Also, that would require a voltage increase which i am wary of, as well as doing something to help memory (slowing the timings, which hurts it alot, or increasing voltage, which is scary). I just need to run through all the steps plus do research when I have some time. Last night I was playing with a higher fsb and a lower multiplier, but it hurt the memory too much...

I increased to 413*8 = 3.3GHz, with RAM at 413*2 = 826MHz, with 444-12 timings. I put the RAM voltage at 2.1 (+.3v) as per the specs from corsair.

184 with disk, 280 without.

Must tinker further....

The steps for me were

b. Install the pc_efi

c. Install Leo

i did exactly the same (followed the guide, wich is BTW fantastic),

but on step d. i got stuck on the partition creation, so i booted to my previous Leo (in other disk, this one MBR) and did the partition on the GPT disk.

on f. windows says that i can't install...

did you guys got the partition done from the same disk that you are using to boot?

i did exactly the same (followed the guide, wich is BTW fantastic),

but on step d. i got stuck on the partition creation, so i booted to my previous Leo (in other disk, this one MBR) and did the partition on the GPT disk.

on f. windows says that i can't install...

did you guys got the partition done from the same disk that you are using to boot?

thank you.

Yes, I did. I booted from the same drive I was modifying and did it there. When you say you got stuck, what do you mean? does disk utility hang?

When you try to install windows, it will always say you can't install. However, there is an option to format the volume as NTFS and install. If you pick that, then it should work.

In this picture: IMG_8498.jpg

There is a button called "Drive options". The option to format and install should be in there, I think.

thank you.

Yes, I did. I booted from the same drive I was modifying and did it there. When you say you got stuck, what do you mean? does disk utility hang?

When you try to install windows, it will always say you can't install. However, there is an option to format the volume as NTFS and install. If you pick that, then it should work.

There is a button called "Drive options". The option to format and install should be in there, I think.

oddly enough,

i've erased my vista partition, booted into the GUID leo, did the same thing, and got stuck again (had to force quit disk utility); then tried again, and it did the partition ok!

now, i booted into the vista installer, and there it was, the Primary under Type is there now, i can format the partition NTFS and install the poor thing (vista)

strange things happen :D

thanks

EDIT: installing right now... i turns out that i had to unplug my other HDD to get vista to install.. go figure!

Has anyone tried iATKOS or KALYWAY 10.5.1 with EFI patch with this board? How well does it work?

I have, i've tried iAttkos many times over and it doesnt boot on it's own. i'm not completely sure im selecting the right options. I dont know. im gunna try the kalyway DVD as soon as it's downloaded, it seems like the EFI patch install is much simpler, and they release a lot more information about their distributions (not much is more than uphuck)

I have, i've tried iAttkos many times over and it doesnt boot on it's own. i'm not completely sure im selecting the right options. I dont know. im gunna try the kalyway DVD as soon as it's downloaded, it seems like the EFI patch install is much simpler, and they release a lot more information about their distributions (not much is more than uphuck)

Installed fine into my test partition, are you sure it's going onto the active partition?

Also, that would require a voltage increase

It shouldn't, not for a 30% oc.... put it this way; I can get a 100% oc on stock, at 3GHz I'm actually undervolting to keep temperature down. Make sure you lock down your PCIe clock to 100, otherwise you might run into difficulties. ;-)

ok,

almost done here...

did the vista install, everything ok, it even did the ICH9 update afterwards, everything cool...

so, now i've got no OSX boot right?

followed the guide to get the boot back to darwin, did get it.. but no "Foreign OS" option on the boot list.. and i can't even mount the NTFS partition in Leo

any ideas?

cheers

what version of vista did you use?

if you open disk utility, does it recognize a second partition, or does it just say that there is one partition?

are you installing on the same hard drive?

could you open disk utility, click on your hard drive, click partitions, and take a screenshot? I'm curious what it looks like...

to take a screenshot: Apple-shift-4 lets you select an area. or, you can open grab (Applications->utilities).

BTW: my windows ide hd makes problems when available in leo, is there any way, script or something to automatically unmount this drive a startup?

I reply for myself, if anybody is interested in the solution:

A apple Script could do the job:

tell application "Terminal"

activate

do script ¬

"diskutil unmount \"/Volumes/volumename to unmount\"" in ¬

window frontmost

delay 5

quit

end tell

Save as programm, add to startupitems.

I'm getting this error whenever I try to boot to a OSX86 install DVD (I've tried KALYWAY 10.5.1 and iATKOS v1.0i):

System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

Any ideas?

My system:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750

GA P35-DS3P

4GB DDR2800 Corsair

BFG 8800GT OC 512MB

500GB SATAII HDD

200GB SATAII HDD

LG DVD burner (On IDE)

In VMWare with iATKOS it crashes just after the grey screen (Not VMWare, the VM it's running) and with KALYWAY after sitting at the grey screen loading for a little bit a MacOS error appears saying the computer needs to be restarted. I tried VMWare because that's how I installed it last time.

Hey guys.

First off, I'd like to thank socal swimmer for the great guide. I have a perfectly working Leopard installation on my new machine.

The problem i'm having, however, is with dual booting Windows XP 64. I found, on numerous tries, that I had to format the partition in FAT32 for XP setup to recognize that there were separate partitions. Also, I had to switch out of AHCI mode for setup to even recognize my HDD.

Eventually I got to where Windows was copying files. After it's finished with that, it reboots and I hit a wall: "Disk error, press any key to restart."

Any ideas? I've tried messing with BIOS options, to no avail. The only thing I can think of is Windows just screws something up with the boot record, because all it takes to get Leopard booting again is redoing EFI in terminal.

Here's my hardware:

GA P35-DS4 (different, i know, but pretty much the same)

Intel 6750 Core 2 Duo

Nvidia 7600GT

4gb Patriot Memory DDR2 800

Sony DRU-710a DVD-R

Seagate Barricuda 250GB SATA

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Also, I had to switch out of AHCI mode for setup to even recognize my HDD.
You need to click the install driver button as Vista install starts up, on the screen where you select the HD. (on the screenshot by SS ~10 posts above, see where it says load driver) The driver is on the CD that comes with the mobo, but, it needs to be extracted to a usb driver or a floppy ( :) ) -thanks Gigagbyte. The driver you will need to select is 82801 something.... It's in the readme on the cd somewhere. Or, Install in IDE mode. Once vista installs, delete all the ide buses from device manager and shutdown. Switch to AHCI, when you reboot one of two things should happen; Vista will use a generic AHCI driver that works fine, or it will ask you to supply a driver - in which case give it the one you got of the CD.That fat32 is weird, and contrary to what you'd expect. It's probably easiest to install windows first, leave a partition for OSX. After you get OSX on board, set that partition to active and use a boot manager of your choice.
I'm getting this error whenever I try to boot to a OSX86 install DVD (I've tried KALYWAY 10.5.1 and iATKOS v1.0i):System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found
All I can suggest is to make sure that the gigabyte controller is set to ide mode in bios, you need ICH9 on AHCI and the GB one on IDE for the eide connector to work. Also I need a patched IOATAFamily.kext to retain IDE drives after boot.

Dear forum-members,

I´m in dire need of help after having gone through socal swimmer´s excellent tutorial, having cross-referenced it to other tutorials, checked all methods of getting the EFI-patch installed......... it´s still not working!

System:

Gigabyte P35 DS3P (who would have thought that?)

E4400 Intel C2D running at 10x200MHz

4x1GB of PC800 RAM (Kingston) running at specs

AC Freezer 7 Pro (CPU at 28°C)

Club3D GForce 6600GT running at specs

Samsung SH-D163B SATA DVD-ROM on port 1

Maxtor 160GB 6Y160M0 on port 0

Logitech USB Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse

Leopard´s from the full install disk that came with my MacBook and has been patched with Brazilmacs patches

atm all other drives aren´t hooked up ´cause I didn´t want any interference in the setup

problem:

no matter what I do, following the steps AS WRITTEN (yes, I can RTFM), not getting error messages from the install scripts at all, whenever I reboot after having run EFI.sh, the system still starts with the wonderful "verifying DMI Pool Data...."

what now?

Thanks a bundle,

michael

Dear forum-members,

I´m in dire need of help after having gone through socal swimmer´s excellent tutorial, having cross-referenced it to other tutorials, checked all methods of getting the EFI-patch installed......... it´s still not working!

System:

Gigabyte P35 DS3P (who would have thought that?)

E4400 Intel C2D running at 10x200MHz

4x1GB of PC800 RAM (Kingston) running at specs

AC Freezer 7 Pro (CPU at 28°C)

Club3D GForce 6600GT running at specs

Samsung SH-D163B SATA DVD-ROM on port 1

Maxtor 160GB 6Y160M0 on port 0

Logitech USB Keyboard and PS/2 Mouse

Leopard´s from the full install disk that came with my MacBook and has been patched with Brazilmacs patches

atm all other drives aren´t hooked up ´cause I didn´t want any interference in the setup

problem:

no matter what I do, following the steps AS WRITTEN (yes, I can RTFM), not getting error messages from the install scripts at all, whenever I reboot after having run EFI.sh, the system still starts with the wonderful "verifying DMI Pool Data...."

what now?

Thanks a bundle,

michael

Thank you consolation for your help, but I have XP 64 Bit, not Vista. I have been installing the mobo's drivers as setup starts up. That, along with setting the partition as FAT32 and disabling AHCI mode, is the only way that setup will see my hard drive. Setup then converts it to NTFS. And then it copies files and everything seems okay until it reboots and it gives me error message i mentioned above.

*sigh*....

Is it absolutely necessary to set it to AHCI mode in order to install Leopard? If so, can AHCI be disabled and the ICH9R set back to IDE mode after the install? I ask because I need XP 32 bit on my machine for the purpose of gaming and the integrated sound absolutely refuses to work in Windows if I have the SATA controller set to AHCI. I worried it had something to do with me slipstreaming the AHCI drivers into my install disc, but apparently it's a known issue from my searching. I checked the device manager and it doesn't even seem to see any sound device whatsoever and the both the included and updated drivers don't do a thing. Quite frustrating.

If necessary, I can have XP on its own hard drive and move the SATA plug to the Gigabyte SATA controller and put that in IDE mode while switching the ICH9R controller to AHCI mode. Then I have a spare 300GB SATA 1.5Gbps drive I could use for Leopard on the ICH9R controller. However, I want to be able to do a dual boot setup and I have no idea how to do this or if it's even possible with each OS on its own hard drive, let alone each on its own SATA controller.

So yeah, any suggestions here would be great.

what version of vista did you use?if you open disk utility, does it recognize a second partition, or does it just say that there is one partition?are you installing on the same hard drive?could you open disk utility, click on your hard drive, click partitions, and take a screenshot? I'm curious what it looks like...to take a screenshot: Apple-shift-4 lets you select an area. or, you can open grab (Applications->utilities).
hey socal swimmer,re did the install, and this time i did'nt deleted the partition, instead just formatted it from FAT32 to NTFS, and also kept the second small partition intact.everything working ok!thanks for all, now i have a dual-boot darwin based Leopard / Vista system, fully working :D
Is it absolutely necessary to set it to AHCI mode in order to install Leopard? If so, can AHCI be disabled and the ICH9R set back to IDE mode after the install? I ask because I need XP 32 bit on my machine for the purpose of gaming and the integrated sound absolutely refuses to work in Windows if I have the SATA controller set to AHCI. I worried it had something to do with me slipstreaming the AHCI drivers into my install disc, but apparently it's a known issue from my searching. I checked the device manager and it doesn't even seem to see any sound device whatsoever and the both the included and updated drivers don't do a thing. Quite frustrating.If necessary, I can have XP on its own hard drive and move the SATA plug to the Gigabyte SATA controller and put that in IDE mode while switching the ICH9R controller to AHCI mode. Then I have a spare 300GB SATA 1.5Gbps drive I could use for Leopard on the ICH9R controller. However, I want to be able to do a dual boot setup and I have no idea how to do this or if it's even possible with each OS on its own hard drive, let alone each on its own SATA controller.So yeah, any suggestions here would be great.
hey,you can install in IDE mode, AHCI off, and after the XP install do this:http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831it works well