socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:swim, learning, computers
I'm glad I was able to help people!

about networking: When I first start up, I can see a few of the computers on my home network, but then they go away. However, I can connect to all of them (including an ethernet drive attached to the network) using IP addresses.

I am in the process of trying to get dual boot working (with vista). When I finish, I will post that as well. Lucky me, I broke my install lol. I think I know how to fix it though...

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
Yeah once I order my hardware and build it I'll be sure to use this guide. But social swimmer, one question:

Do you have to switch SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS to get it to work? That's what I've heard from many others running Leopard on the DS3P.

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Yeah once I order my hardware and build it I'll be sure to use this guide. But social swimmer, one question:

Do you have to switch SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS to get it to work? That's what I've heard from many others running Leopard on the DS3P.

Yes I did. I will go add that, as I had forgotten.

consolation

consolation

I am not expendable, I'm not stupid and I'm not going.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33GHz
GPU: Nvidia 7300GT

Dude, that card is wayyyy under powered, it's actually really crappy. if you can't afford a better one within your budget, get a cheaper processor and a better card. The P35-DS3P is a ridiculous overclocker my 4300 (early conroe core, not allendale, so it clocks like buggery; runs rock solid at 3.6GHz - 400MHz clock = 1600MHz bus, ram at 2:1), I had it stable at 550 bus, but had to put memory on 1:1 and drop the multiplier to 6. The processor you are planning to get uses a 7X multiplier and a 1333MHz bus, you'll struggle to get a good overclock. Go for a chip with a high multiplier and an 800/1066 bus. You don't need to spend a lot of money on a processor, you get a better performing system overall by getting a better video card, and you regain the lost CPU performance because the cheaper conroes/allendales are better overclockers. I would not get a card below a 7600GT at the very least (the 7300 will give you about a 9800 pro performance anyway, man the 9800s were a good card -still usable after so many years...) and realistically a 7900GT/X1950pro. There are some bargains on 320 8800gts out there as the 8800gt is killing the market for them. Anyway my :D

Now a word of warning, I'm writing this in mepis as I can't get my install of OS X to complete booting on my new board :( , I'm getting the dreaded "waiting for root device" error. Did all the obvious stuff to fix it, still nada. I think that it might be due to an old kext left over from previous versions, I did not do a clean install with 10.5 and have a few weird and wonderful 3rd party left overs that I'm killing one by one - so if you are not doing a clean install, be careful. However, that's just my theory. I'm on rev2 of this board if anyone has any helpful ideas....

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
7300GT is actually not bad for basic tasks but its not good for any serious gaming. Theres a really good deal for a XFX 7900GS at Directcanada.com. Thats the video card I'm getting for my new hackintosh build. E6550 is a good CPU but consolation's right, its not the greatest for overclocking but if you don't plan on overclocking anyway (like me) theres no harm in getting a 1333 CPU. But, on the other hand you will get better performance with a 1066 Core 2 Quad Q6600 (but then again Q6600 is like $100 more expensive).

consolation,

What's your new board? Is it the P5LD2 SE mentioned in your sig? The easiest way to get OS X working (if it is indeed to to old kexts being left over) is to do a complete Zero wipe of the partition/HD and install a clean copy of OS X.

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

consolation,

What's your new board? Is it the P5LD2 SE mentioned in your sig? The easiest way to get OS X working (if it is indeed to to old kexts being left over) is to do a complete Zero wipe of the partition/HD and install a clean copy of OS X.

It's a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P, I just fixed it: it was the NTFS write access. NTFS 3g or some such. Once I got rid of it it's all good. I'll go update my sig....

Not OC'ing a core2 :) , but why!!! They do 3GHz+ on stock cooling - I mean why wouldn't you? You should get your Q6600 to 3.6~4 Ghz easy, Q6600 are good OCers, that's what I'd go for too, however, in reality I'd probably spend the money on a 8800. -Quads are good, but usually the other two cores are under utilised.

I think the E4500 is an absolute bargain steal, With an x11 multiplier at 1333MHz you are running @ 3.6GHz, pure core joy. On our boards you'd be pushing it towards 5Ghz, with a bit of some serious cooling...

Jimmizilla

Jimmizilla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Yes, the Q6600 is a good OCer... but you have to be very good to get 4Ghz on stock cooling.... Or on air even.. Unless you WANT your chip to have an insane amount of voltage pumped into it and have it die in a few months... It all also depends on stepping, I believe the best stepping for a Q6600 is G0... On water you can probably get 3.8Ghz - 4Ghz... not on air...

Also, to everyone who wants to dual boot any Windows with OSX:

1. It's way easier to have 2 HDDs
2. Vista would not install for me unless my BIOS was set back to IDE mode and my Vista HDD was the first in the Hard Drive boot order menu
3. There is a way to enable AHCI in Vista (Google) so you can just keep your PC in AHCI. If you switch to AHCI and try to boot into windows with it on, you will BSD before getting anywhere near your desktop...

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Yes, the Q6600 is a good OCer... but you have to be very good to get 4Ghz on stock cooling.... Or on air even.. Unless you WANT your chip to have an insane amount of voltage pumped into it and have it die in a few months... It all also depends on stepping, I believe the best stepping for a Q6600 is G0... On water you can probably get 3.8Ghz - 4Ghz... not on air...

2. Vista would not install for me unless my BIOS was set back to IDE mode and my Vista HDD was the first in the Hard Drive boot order menu

With only a couple of Q6600 to compare, I find around 3GHz is easy on stock cooling with default voltages; close to 4GHz with quality air. With my 4300 & water loop I can get a fair way over 4GHz, but it's annoying as the radiator fan has to be cranked up and the latencies on my RAM start to climb up unless I use ridiculously low dividers -making it a bit pointless. I never set the voltage past the 1.37V mark, bit higher than default for my chip, but lower than a Q6600's default. At 3.6GHz, voltage is at stock and temperatures stable at about 40~50 when under 95% load for an hour+. YMMV, I seem to have struck lucky with a good CPU.

To use AHCI in Vista you need the drivers that came with our mobo's cd during vista install, you select the drive then add the driver from the thumb drive you expanded it to. Here's the trick, for some reason vista does not think it's compatible with your hardware so uncheck the compatible hardware box. Or, you can let it install in IDE then, after it boots, delete the ide bus. Shutdown and put the drive on the AHCI sata port, when vista reboots it will install a generic microsoft AHCI driver that works fine.

Suhail

Suhail

Love is Gone...

• Retired
  • 7,411 posts
  • Interests:PHP Coding
    Trance Music
    Xbox 360 :)
    Web Designing
Quick update: I got the 7600GT instead. I am most probobly not going to overclock (Hot enough in my room as it is) and I will not play any games at all (I got my xbox 360 for that :wacko:). so I thought the 7600GT will do. My cousin has the same card running on Leopard and it works fine with all the stuff I intend to do (Photoshopping, Web Design, School Work, Video Editing)

~pcwiz

~pcwiz

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Retired
  • 5,900 posts
I am getting the Q6600 G0 which is apparently better for overclocking. I am planning on using the stock cooler...wouldn't it be unsafe with a stock Intel cooler?

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
I don't know about the Q6600, but here is what I found out about the e6750:

70c is safe, 75C is warm, 80C is hot. So, you should not run it over 70C for extended periods of time. I figured out that on the stock cooler, if I run it at 3.28GHz (410 MHz fsb) it maxes out at 71C, which is fine since it should never stay that way for too long. However, this means no distributed computing for this computer.

Temperature Monitor is very useful for determining the temperature of each CPU core, and it even has "extended drivers" for Intel core processorse. i.e. it is hackintosh compatible! You can put a readout in the menu bar, the dock, and/or a window. It also has a graph window where it shows the temp history as a graph, along with the max and min.

if you get it, make sure to disable the HDD sensor. It is mostly pointless, and can wear out the hard drive as well as prevent it from sleeping.

google searches should tell you how far you can go with the Q6600 in terms of temperature.

I figured out that if you overclock the memory too far, it will try to start up like 5 times (and fail each time) before it defaults back to main clock speeds (on everything darnit).

My current settings:
CPU: 410 MHz * 8x = 3.28 GHz
RAM: 410 MHz * 2.5 = 1025 MHz

I will look into overclocking the video card, especially if I get a ATI 3850 (supposedly an underclocked 3870?).

Off Topic: Seeing how ATI cards are slowly increasing in number (800 to 1900 to 2900 to 3870), do you think we will ever see another radeon 9200 or radeon 9800? that would be interesting ....

Jimmizilla

Jimmizilla

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
I think that it should be expected that the Q6600 will run just a tad bit hotter than the e6600 since the Q6600 is basically two e6600s stuffed under the same roof...

As for stock cooling, you can use it unless you want to OC more than a few Mhz. Aftermarket coolers are only around $50 USD and I think they're a really good investment. Don't even try watercooling unless you're really serious about it and have more than $300 to spend, sub $300 water cooling is usually on par with good air cooling.

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

I am getting the Q6600 G0 which is apparently better for overclocking. I am planning on using the stock cooler...wouldn't it be unsafe with a stock Intel cooler?

Nah, anything up to around 3GHz should be fine, it just might get a bit noisy as it cranks up under load. Once you are happy with the OC, use orthos prime for a couple of hours and monitor the temps, see where it stabilises under prolonged 95% load. It will never get this hot in real life, but you will know if the worst case scenario is safe. IMHO, always OC one thing at a time, i.e. keep your ram locked down to it's default or below while you ramp up the CPU, then bring the ram up. For the amount of money they cost these gigabytes are insane OC'ers...

I'd invest in a decent air cooler, if just for the noise reduction. Having gone the water cooling road myself, I don't know if I'd bother again - the quality of air cooling these days is just so good. On the two Q6600 I installed for friends we used these babies I really recommend them (sorry about the new egg link, I'm assuming you are in NA? Apologies if I'm wrong.), they can take a quiet 120mm fan and let you take a Q6600 into about 3.5GHz -with temps not significantly higher than stock intel fan.

Anyhow, back on the topic, it looks like AppleVIAATA.kext is servicing my AHCI drives, is this "normal"?

aliab

aliab

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
Have you got Orange Icons of Hard Disk on Desktop ?
Nobody?

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
Ok, in an attempt to get rid of legacy {censored} in the extensions folder, I transferred it from my GF's macbook which had a clean 10.5.1 install. Sooo... on the upside:. Sleep now works, although the computer can only be woken by a brief touch to the power button. I can shut down, but only by issuing a "sudo halt" command in terminal. And, no more AppleVIAATA.kext left over from Tiger. On the down side; all my drives are seen as external, and I cannot repair permissions. Since I boot in verbose, I can see a whole bunch of errors; I'll try to capture some - but they seem to relate to parts of the os being held by uid 99 as opposed to uid 0. However, so far this does not seem to interfere with OS X functioning, and I get a slight lift in geekbench. Attached is my screenshot, a picture can be worth a thousand words.... :( Any ideas?

Have you got Orange Icons of Hard Disk on Desktop ?Nobody?

Check my post above, I think you may have hit same issues as me. How did you install 10.5?

I may have an idea, using this controller enables hot swap, so all the drives are now external. Sweet, my esata ports work. Now the permission thing is a worry, If I boot from my other partition, it tells me that permission cannot be repaired as they are disabled.

Attached Files

aliab

aliab

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
BrazilMAC
Apple Update 10.5.1 from a Tiger or Leo working partition
then change some Kext
efi script to V8

EDIT: Yes of course hard disks are see as external ORANGE !!

Did you tried this command :sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volume/XX (my disks are all GUID)

PS: What is your cooling and what is this temp monitor in apple bar ?

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

My hard disks are not see as external but simply ORANGE !!Did you tried this command :sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /My hard disks are not see as external but simply ORANGE !!

Did you tried this command :sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a / (my disks are all GUID)

PS: What is your cooling and what is this temp monitor in apple bar ?

Yep, I just found http://docs.info.app...l?artnum=108006
Handy to know, you can disable ownership check, edit your system files (without having to password nag screens all the time), then turn permissions on again, fix 'em, and you're away laughing.
That fixed the problem nicely... Thanks.

The temp monitor is err... "Temperature Monitor (lite)." The Network and CPU monitors are courtesy of "Menu Meters."

I'm using a danger dan block, the rest of the water loop (NOW with ALGAE!!!, How the F**K did it manage to grow in a glycol/corrosion inhibitor mix is beyond me, but I've got to pull the whole loop to bits and clean it out.) is a mix of bits with an el-cheapo thermaltake waterblock on my video card.

Orange drives are icons for external, weird. Or, are they HD icons that are tinted?

consolation

consolation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts
I think i can replicate some of the weird behaviour - it seems to occur when you use the 10.5.1 update from another partition. On my box, it'll also completely stuff up my permissions - and yes gives me orange icons. I can fix things by using pacifist to reinstall the update.

rhalls

rhalls

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
o.k, so, social swimmer: THANKS for that guide. In installed Leo 10.5.1 in about 8 hours cuase i am a bit dumb... :-)
My board on my test machine (similar to GA-P35-DS3P; its a G33-DS3) didnt recognize my USB Stick, i had to have it inserted when booting. So when i first installed EFI after formatting, i had the wrong diskID cause i wrote it down without the stick inside the machine... After reboot with the stick, the diskID changed, so the scripts were wrong. so i edited them, rebooted, no go. typed something wrong...
I didnt ycout how often i rebooted from DVD... OFTEN. Buit now it works. Great. Thanks. Lets see how stable it is in the next days....
Did i say thanks?
THANKS!

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

socal swimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
hey I'm glad I could help you!

Temperature Monitor is a third party app.

same with menu meters.

That is weird about the drives. Maybe if you have a brazilmac installation left over, you can see what kexts you don't have, and see if any fix the problem?

diff -r /System/Library/Extensions /Volumes/oldbrazilmacinstallation/System/Library/Extensions <press enter>

should show you any differences.

I guess I was lucky, having my old eMac sitting right next to my new computer. I could just plug in and change whatever I needed to....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy