Belkin F5D7050 Wireless G USB Adapter on Leopard?

crashoddity

54 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has a working Belkin Wireless G USB adapter (F5D7050) in leopard? Specifically, which hardware version are you using and how did you get it to work? I've got a v5000 and I'm having some trouble finding any information about what chipset it uses and what drivers might work...

Thanks!

crash,

See Belkin Chipsets to determine which chipset Belkin is using in your FD7050. oddly enough belkin used 3-4 different chipsets depending on the revision. Happily, most of them are supported on a Mac. below is the info from that page in case it disappears. After that I'll pass on some links where you can get drivers. I bought one of these at BB over the weekend ($29.95), and downloaded the appropriate driver, but still don't have it working. :) But I'm sure I'll get it going.

F5D7050 v.1xxxx						 Prism GT	  Prism54
   F5D7050 v.2xxxx								  Ralink	 rt2x00
   F5D7050 v.3xxxx man: 050d dev: 705a	 Ralink	 rt2x00 
   F5D7050 v.4001  man: 050d dev: 705c	 Zydas	 ZD1211
   F5D7050 v.4xxxx man: 050d dev: 705c	 Zydas	 ZD1211

So if you have an Ralink based 7050, go here:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

If it's Zydas, go here:

ftp://ftp.zyxeltech.de/ZyDAS/ZD1211_USB/M...all_4_5_7_0.dmg

If it's a Prism GT, go here:

http://gtdriver.binaervarianz.de/

Good luck!

uman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can anyone help me?

I have a Belkin Wireless G PCI card. I have installed the relevant drivers and I can scan and connect to wireless networks. The problem is that it disconnects and reconnects to my network approx every 20seconds. I am running Leopard 10.5.1 on my AMD machine (it works very nicely) and need this wireless card to work to connect to the net. Has anyone had and resolved this problem? If not, does someone have a nicely wokring PCI wireless card they can recommend getting?

Many thanks in advance :)

• 2 months later...

Hello,

post-218730-1208752890.jpgI am using the Belkin F5D 8053 WIRELESS N USB ADAPTER. It's the faster 802.11n and has better range. If you are going to get a new wireless adapter why not get the faster one. I'm using it on an iBook G4 with Leopard. It will work with Panther and Tiger too. You just need a Mac with USB 2.0 and your all set. Email me if you need to know more.

totallybonkers

• 3 weeks later...

Alright peeps, back on track: the Belkin USB F5D7050. I went out to Fry's and bought one of these beauties for $29.95. First of all there is a notice inside that says the device is not Vista compatible. Although, as we all know, things can be hacked :D .

I have included a few box scans so everyone knows what the package looks like, as well as the bottom flap where the version number is so you know Where to look. I went to the website listed above for my chipset. I installed the driver, restarted the computer, inserted the device into my USB port. Voila! Instant wireless connectivity (after configuring my security settings).

This fantastic chip supports WEP as well the network types where you have to enter the network name too. Everyone go out and buy one of these! Great antenna, better connection that my onboard.

post-224641-1210117835_thumb.jpg

post-224641-1210117812_thumb.jpg

EDIT:

It is intresting to note that this piece of hardware evidently does not work universally across all versions and distros of of HacOSx86. I have had a problem or two getting the connection to register in my system. This only happened once, but otherwise this hardware works just fine.

It DOES suffer from the replug glitch. You have to unplug/replug the device after the os has loaded for it to register as a device. Once I left it unplugged, and only plugged it in after the system loaded, and had problems. I suspect that it needs to be plugged in BEFORE you turn the system on and boot MacOS. Then you will need to unplug/replug to get it to work. Minor problem. Maybe there will oneday be a workaround.

My system:

Fujitsu Lifebook A6020

Core2Duo

Leo4all v2 10.5.2

Alright peeps, back on track: the Belkin USB F5D7050. ... This fantastic chip supports WEP as well the network types where you have to enter the network name too.

That's not what I call a fantastic chip. WEP offers almost no security at all and most knowledgeable people will tell you to stay far away from anything that doesn't support WPA or WPA2. You want people to go out and buy one of those? :(:D:D:D

Here's a review (which I didn't write) that calls it a badly engineered POS.

Belkin now has a 5th generation of the F5D7050, the "F5D7050-E".

This uses a Realtek chip, and despite trying Realtek's driver download it still won't work.

RT8187B_WLAN Adapter

www.realtek.com.tw for Leopard drivers.

I'm still trying though. Anyone else have a Rev E?

Update:

It seems Belkin is modifying the chips they use to have a unique Device ID so that generic drivers will not be able to identify them.

My Rev 5 Belkin card identifies itself as USB\VID_050D&PID_705E0E04C000001 whereas a generic Realtek card would identify as:

;;****************************************************************************

;; IDs for 98SE/ME/2K/XP

;;****************************************************************************

[Realtek]

%RTL8187B.DeviceDesc% = RTL8187B.ndi, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8187&REV_0200

%RTL8187B.DeviceDesc% = RTL8187B.ndi, USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8189&REV_0200

So in Windows I can simply edit the driver INF file to match the ID. So now, all I have to figure out is how to modify the kext created by Realtek to recognize the altered Device ID in Mac OS X.

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has a working Belkin Wireless G USB adapter (F5D7050) in leopard? Specifically, which hardware version are you using and how did you get it to work? I've got a v5000 and I'm having some trouble finding any information about what chipset it uses and what drivers might work...

Thanks!

I have the same  Belkin F5D7050 v5.

If you can pass me the kext when you have success???

Sorry of my bad english

I just finished looking at a possible solution but I have not tested it 100% but I figure I might post the information here in case anyone wants to try.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...s=true#RTL8187B

This link is for Realtek's driver for Rev 5 Belkin cards that use the Realtek chip. Out of the box, it won't work because Rev 5 Belkin cards have a custom Vendor/Dev ID. So what I'm trying to do is get Realtek's drivers to recognize the new identity.

Once the driver is installed you will need to copy the kext it installs to your desktop and edit the info.plist file. I chose to edit the following section. Items in bold are the ones I changed, because when I ran ioreg -l it gave me the proper vendor ID's.

<key>Realtek RTL8187B</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.realtek.driver.RTL8187B</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>RTL8187B</string>

<key>IOKitDebug</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOUSBInterface</string>

<key>Realtek_WLAN_NIC_parameter</key>

<dict>

<key>LedCtrl</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

<key>Realtek_common_reg</key>

<dict>

<key>CcxOffLineDurUpLimit</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>CcxRm</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Channel</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>NetworkType</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>QoS</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>SSID</key>

<string>ANY</string>

<key>StaUapsd</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>WiFi11bIbss</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>bRateAdaptive</key>

<integer>1</integer>

</dict>

<key>bConfigurationValue</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>bInterfaceNumber</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>bcdDevice</key>

<integer>512</integer>

<key>idProduct</key>

<integer>28766</integer>

<key>idVendor</key>

<integer>1293</integer>

</dict>

My IOREG Details for the Belkin:

| | | +-o RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter@fd300000 <class IOUSBDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>

| | | | {

| | | | "PortNum" = 3

| | | | "Bus Power Available" = 250

| | | | "bNumConfigurations" = 1

| | | | "Device Speed" = 2

| | | | "sessionID" = 1128355357449

| | | | "USB Product Name" = "RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter"

| | | | "bcdDevice" = 512

| | | | "locationID" = 18446744073662365696

| | | | "USB Vendor Name" = "Manufacturer_Realtek"

| | | | "USB Address" = 3

| | | | "idProduct" = 28766

| | | | "iProduct" = 2

| | | | "bDeviceProtocol" = 0

| | | | "iManufacturer" = 1

| | | | "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"9dc7b780-9ec0-11d4-a54f-000a27052861"="IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOUSBLib.bundle"}

| | | | "bDeviceClass" = 0

| | | | "iSerialNumber" = 3

| | | | "bMaxPacketSize0" = 64

| | | | "IOUserClientClass" = "IOUSBDeviceUserClientV2"

| | | | "bDeviceSubClass" = 0

| | | | "IOGeneralInterest" = "IOCommand is not serializable"

| | | | "idVendor" = 1293

| | | | "USB Serial Number" = "00e04c000001"

Anyways if anyone can test this and see if it works. Don't forget to backup a copy of the original kext and repair permissions when done.

That's not what I call a fantastic chip. WEP offers almost no security at all and most knowledgeable people will tell you to stay far away from anything that doesn't support WPA or WPA2. You want people to go out and buy one of those?

:)

First off, most people on these boards just want a wireless USB adapter that runs on a hackintosh. This one is cheap AND works with a simple download (at least mine did). Secondly WEP is not {censored}. It uses a 13 digit key for frell's sake. It is secure enough for most home networks, especially if you use WEP with a hidden SSID. You can keep out most nosey neighbors who are simply looking for a free ride- in other words, it keeps the entire neighborhood from stealing bandwidth from your network.

So to recap (for all you normal people out there) this card will connect using WEP, and a hidden SSID. It may connect using other protocols, I have not tested it. It looks to me like the first four chipsets have easy work arounds. It has a good signal and comes with a USB extention cord. I have successfully connected to my desktop pc and transferred files, connected to the net, watched online vids, and lota of other things. Just pay attention to which chipset it has, as can be seen by looking on the bottom of the box as demonstrated in the above post.

If you are looking for a $60, $70, or $100 card buy another one and quit b ;) ing. If you are on a limited budget like me, consider buying this one. Easy, cheap, compatible.

So for the hackintosh newbies let me see if I can summarize and get concurrence from someone more in the know. This is what I think I learned before I head to my local BB tonight:

If you can find an F5D7050 Version 2xxx.....get it as a first choice because you can just download the dirver from http://web.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html or http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com and use these drivers with NO mods. READ THAT NO mucking around with a text editor required! Correct?

[Just a question...since I don't know MAC (as opposed to Jack :) how does one load a driver on a MAC?]

Use version 3xxx or 4xxx as second to last choice. (both apparently require mucking with the driver/editing "your must add the Belin USB ID data to rtmp_def.h to the #define RT73_USB_Deivces section"....does one do that in a text editor? And then what??? Does it need to be compiled or is this merely a config file?

Don't go with version 1xxx or because it is status GREY and requires mucking with the driver ...and may not work.

Bought the F5D7050 Belkin USB Adapter and installed the driver from the RA link site above. I used the driver labeled: RTUSB D2870-1.0.1.0b_D71w-1.1.7.0c_D2500-1.1.3.0 UI-1.4.8.0_2007_11_26.dmg

From all I have read, since my 7050 is a version 3002 it should require the 2501 driver which is covered in the above driver package....correct? So I installed the driver, plugged in the apapter and then restarted the hack box. It found my network and asked for encryption type and key(s). I entered the key, the lower left box on the Belkin Utility said "connected -->" but when I opened Safari it told me I had no internet connection....as did the MAC network utility that pops up in from the System Preferences folder.

The USB adapter did not show up in the list of network adapters on the left navigator panel of the Mac Network Utility. Was it supposed to? Is this why you have to "add the Belkin USB ID data to rtmp_def.h to the #define RT73_USB_DEVICES section' I can see that file in a Linux driver package but not in the OSX package. How does one do that? Should I be using the Linux driver package in lieu of Mac OS X?

If so, how? Help would me most appreciated. Begining to wonder if this is all worth it.

Bought the F5D7050 Belkin USB Adapter and installed the driver from the RA link site above. I used the driver labeled: RTUSB D2870-1.0.1.0b_D71w-1.1.7.0c_D2500-1.1.3.0 UI-1.4.8.0_2007_11_26.dmg

From all I have read, since my 7050 is a version 3002 it should require the 2501 driver which is covered in the above driver package....correct? So I installed the driver, plugged in the apapter and then restarted the hack box. It found my network and asked for encryption type and key(s). I entered the key, the lower left box on the Belkin Utility said "connected -->" but when I opened Safari it told me I had no internet connection....as did the MAC network utility that pops up in from the System Preferences folder.

<snip>

I have leo4all v2 10.5.2. I also have the 7050 version 3002. I downloaded the file labeled "USB (RT2870)" from the ralink driver site linked to above. I installed it and restarted my computer. After restart I discovered a new config utility which helped me connect to my network. NOTE: I use a hidden SSID and WEP encryption. Compatibility may differ depending on if you use more or less security, but I had no problem and did not have to do anything extra.

It is intresting to note that this piece of hardware evidently does not work universally across all versions and distros of of HacOSx86. What distro/version do you have?

Thanks Lenzius,

I am using 10.5.1. I suspected that most people with success in this area are now on 10.5.2. I built my hack several months ago and then went overseas on business so I am just returning to it. In that time, the next distro appeared. Since I have little invested in this distro I think I will find Leo4All and download and then reinstall.

So far I like what I see. I could easily become a Mac fanatic. I love the way you hit the power button and you are on your Mac desktop in thirty seconds from a cold start. Try doing that in Windows ;( I could easily take a shower, dress and drive to work (over an hour commute) before my Windows machine is ready for me to do anything productive.

Thanks again for your help. Will get 10.5.2 and post again with results. If lucky...maybe even tonight :)

If you have any favored install instruction links...feel free to share them with me. I am a bit rusty on how I installed in the first place. Also, what options to pick.

The only downside to this hardware is that it DOES suffer from the replug glitch. You have to unplug/replug the device after the OS has loaded for it to register as a device. I also suspect that it needs to be plugged in BEFORE you turn the system on and boot MacOS. It is a minor problem. Maybe there will one day be a workaround.

As far as installation goes, it is fairly strait forward. If you need an install guide search here on the forums or check out the wiki.

basically:

1. download the package. I have leo4all version 2 but they recently released version 3.

2. burn it to a dvd

3. make sure your computer is set to boot from the dvd drive

4. pop in the disk and boot

5. follow the directions to install a stand alone copy of OSX OR find an install guide to dual boot

dual booting is kinda tricky, but my version of hacOS came with a bootloader,. I am not sure if it was leo4all or the OS itself, but it was real nice not to have to mess with a bootloader.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow to report that I DID get it working first try once I was on Leo4ALL v2. Worked a treat! Then I plugged in my Kalyway 10.5.1 distro and booted it. VOILA! Worked on that one too.

Working flawlessly with non security network, but i can't connect to my corporate network that use WPA with EAP/PEAP. Anybody, have the solution?? thanks
I was able to connect my in the office and we use WPA-2. It didn't seem to want to work at first but I kept trying and eventually it connected. Once it did that, like in all other cases, it automatically connects anytime it senses the signal either at the office or home. And they are on two different security protocols and proifles. My advice is to just keep trying. Interestingly...I just left my running (after I entered the parameters) with it seemingly not connected. Then I went to lunch and when I came back the wireless was showing connected and operational. It just seems to take a while to synch. The same phenomena occured at home...I just left it run overnight and in the morning it was connected. Give it a try is all I can advise. It will eventually connect if you have the correct keys and are applying them in the correct entry points.

Working flawlessly with non security network, but i can't connect to my corporate network that use WPA with EAP/PEAP. Anybody, have the solution?? thanks

I have the same problem under Leo4all 10.5.2, the USB dongle is recognized using Ralink driver, and seems to be able to retrieve a IP address via DHCP from my wireless router (no internet connection in Safari though), BUT, where can I insert my WEP password? Many thanks if anyone here got around with issues and would like to share the tips.

After you install the driver software, you will see some connection software. Simply find your network in the list and doubleclick on it (i think). Sorry I only did this once and it was a while back. I do remember that the password box was set to Hex to begin with and I had to change it to ASCII to be a ble to enter my password. If this does not work, and you get an IP but are still unable to pull up websites, try unplugging your device, then restart the computer. AFTER the computer is rebooted to the desktop, plug the device back in and try again.

*** This device DOES suffer from a re-plug glitch. It cannot be plugged in when the computer boots. This confuses it. ***