[Guide] Speed Up the boot time of Leopard Installation DVDs

macgirl

45 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

For those that might be interested if you build the kextcache with -s -l -n (safe mode, local and network kexts) you can wipe the Extensions directory and gain 40 seconds or so in boot time:

kextcache -a i386 -l -n -s -m Extensions.mkext Extensions

With some other tricks its actually possible to get the DVD to boot in just over 2 mins.

is possible to not include network kexts, and make it even faster?

Anyway, when isntalling is almost no necessary the network, well only if you are doing "remote installation" I presume.

Sometimes the boot process is awfully slow, so I made this file:Extensions.mkext with the following steps to avoid the slow and boring wait.You only need to install this file in your DVD Image and burn it.Intel:http://www.mediafire.com/?b1dtwhvjiqzAMD:http://www.mediafire.com/?c0ew012fbxhhere is how:Erase the Extensions folder of your DVD Image, copy this file to System/Library and burn to a DVD.You will boot faster, less wait than the "retail" patched DVDsHere is how I created it:I mounted my BrazilMAC patched image of Leopard with readwrite ability, you can do that if you rename the ISO image to .cdr suffixthen I copied the contents of the Extensions folder to my Destop.cp -R /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ x86/System/Library/Extensions Desktop/Extensionsor by opening the containing folder and dragged it to the Desktopopen /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ x86/System/Library/then I make the cache with this on Terminal:sudo kextcache -a i386 -k -z -m Desktop/Extensions.mkext Desktop/ExtensionsI erased the Extensions folder from the mounted Image with the Finder or with this command on Terminal:rm -fr /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ x86/System/Library/Extensionsthen I copied the Extensions.mkext to the System/Library folder of the mounted image with Finder or wtih this command on Terminal:cp Desktop/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ x86/System/Library/then I repaired the owner and group:sudo chown root:wheel /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ Disc\ x86/System/Library/Extensions.mkextumount the image, burned it and tested it.Other advantages is that you have a faster boot DVD in case of emergencies or if you need to a handy Disk Utility or Terminal Apps.I am planning to do an AMD version for Prawker's method DVD and also test this one with TOH version of Intel and if the AMD version works with the ToH AMD This could work with other patched DVDs (for Intel of course), also you can do your own Extensions.mkext, but try it with DVD RW media or you could end with a lot of coasters :(NOTE:I prefer to answer in this thread than by PM, if you have a question please post it here.Edit:I tested with BrazilMAC and ToH DVDs on my Dell XPS M1330.Edit2:AMD version. tested with Prawker's method and ToH with AMD ppf V2
hey can u please help me in getting that blue screen right after installing leopard......please reply.... iam having a compaqc755tu laptop with GMA X3100 ,GM965 chipset please help me....

• 2 months later...

off topic but i have a kalway 10.5.1 install disc how do I add the 8800GT kexts and nvinjeckt 0.2.1 to it as well as the graphics update?, as they are all needed to otherwise when osx boots with the 8800gt I just get an error, tired of hot swapping with a 7600gt and installing nvinject/kexts/graphics update every time, my system is very small and it take about 40 minutes to swap the cards...

also can you not just burn the osx86 disc to say a BD-R as it has a faster read speed of 20MB/s?, yes I have a blu ray drive so will that work?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...