Before you begin "There is no keyboard connected to your computer"

JuanDiego

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I've just installed Leopard on my laptop. I was going to run for the first time leopards desktop, after the welcome stuff and Leopard doesn't recognize my keyboard...i can't do anything. I've follow the thread called "Leopard perfect install".It seems sounds not workingThe touchpad(mouse) isn't working eitherAny ideas? At least i want to see the desktop :D PD: I've installed pc_efi_v8.0How can i fix it? I don't find any solutions in google :)

• 11 months later...

i have the same problem on my Fujitsu notebook

The keyboard doesnt work since I start installation (after I press -v on darwinX86's boot option and the system booting, then my keyboard does not work anymore) but the installation is still working and I can complete the operation (with no keyboard available)

Then after the installation completed, system has reboot to OS X and then the monitor display "Before You Begin... There is no keyboard connected to your computer. Please connect your keyboard."

I have tried to search for solution but I am unlucky, there is just the solution with the install new kext file and type some code in Terminal but how can I do that if I can not typing the code?

If anybody has any ideas please please help us... Mac OS X is just a step to my hand but I can not reach it....

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Same problem here!

My notebook model is Acer 5735z

I installed with pc_efi_v9.0 and in installation menu everything works normally. After reboot, if I reboot with -v it says "family specific matching fails" on usb and apic or somethig like this, and keyboard+touchpad won't work. It appeared next image:

14012009159.jpg

If someone knows how to make it work please let us know!

I have tried to search for solution but I am unlucky, there is just the solution with the install new kext file and type some code in Terminal but how can I do that if I can not typing the code?

what code in terminal? cand you give me a link where you found that solution?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have the same problem how can i fix this ?

i don't have any USB keyboard!

when i reboot with DVD i go to terminal Mac can't read another partion (only mac partion and DVD) or my flash USB 1G. ( there is only iPC have the fix PS2 keyboard mouse but i dont want install iPC)

Another thing that might work is to temporarily plug in a USB keyboard.

After installing you should be able to get the laptop keyboard to work again using the various solutions already posted here and elsewhere.

If a USB keyboard doesn't work, there are problems with USB that you should fix first, either by BIOS settings or choosing an USB fix in the Customize settings before installing.

• 1 year later...

I tried to insall iDeneb v1.6 on my Dell D620. When I reboot into the installation, I get "before you begin there is no keyboard connected" Error. I installed the PS2 drivers too.

Any idea what could be wrong or how to fix the problem?

Thanks

Hans

• 2 months later...

Ok, so I'm in the same boat as the other Fujitsu users, trackpad and keyboard are a no go.

Worse, I can't get online via wifi or lan.

I'm trying to learn on how to do all the kext stuff, but no idea where to start? where are these fixes and where do I install them?

• 1 month later...
Guest jacobgeek

If you are using iPC OSx86 10.5.6, when installing click "Fixes and Patches" and install the correct PS/2 Patch. Make sure you read the description for each of the patches and install the correct one for you.

This works because the keyboard in a laptop is connected to the motherboard via PS/2 and so is the trackpad/touchpad. They are each recognized as a PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse.

Therefore you would need a PS/2 driver to use them.

• 1 year later...
Installing the ps2 driver worked for me

how did you install ps2 driver? because, you are not allowed to enter into Lion to install anything because of the keyboard not connected problem. Would you elaborate, how did you solve your problem?

• 2 months later...

I boot into the single user mode in terminal so that I can do some editing. I edited System/CoreService/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

removed these two lines

<string>DeviceSection</string>

<string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

and after that, I didn't get that error. I didn't use usb keyboard. However, I did include VoodooPS2 driver in my Extra folder. anyway, that was long time ago :) but thanks for reply.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I boot into the single user mode in terminal so that I can do some editing. I edited System/CoreService/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/Info.plist

removed these two lines

<string>DeviceSection</string>

<string>KeyboardTypeSection</string>

and after that, I didn't get that error. I didn't use usb keyboard. However, I did include VoodooPS2 driver in my Extra folder. anyway, that was long time ago :D but thanks for reply.

The plist was blank. So I copied a code from someone else's plist and also included the voodoops2.kext in s/l/e. But I still got the error. I boot using rboot, so I dont have the extra folder yet. Any other suggestions?

I have attached my Info.plist. I think I wrote the total path wrong. It should be

/System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant/Contents/Info.plist

You don't need to use voodoops2 at that moment but you may use. But it is strange that your Info.plist file is empty! did you check case, coz it's case sensitive in unix environment so you gotta type "Info.plist". Did you use "nano" to access that file? Write me how did you access Info.plist file.

This is what I did:

I booted in my Lion partition with -s -v -x flag and hit some keys when the boot was handed over to Lion boot. then I got into the terminal in a read-only mode. I did following to be able to modify Info.plist

fsck -fy
mount -uw /
This will make it Lion partition writable so that you modify that file.

Info.plist.zip

• Like 2

I have dual boot of lion with windows. So i use mac drive in windows to access the hfs partition. It has worked for me to add kexts to s\l\e before setup since I need AppleVIAATA.kext to boot up otherwise I get a Still waiting for root deivce error.

I just tried USB too and it still doesnt work.

However I noted that in verbose boot, while loading, it failed to load AppleUSBOHCI.kext. Could that be the reason why it cannot detect keyboard?

I did have same thing (win 7 and Lion dual boot in same HD), however, I had Snow Leopard installed using Vmware but I installed Lion using USB thumb so only changed there. However, I did change those two lines booting into single user mode. Did you do like I said to remove those two lines from that Info.plist? The file must be there otherwise there is something wrong as Info.plist defines it's properties. Are you using PS/2 or USB keyboard? I am assuming it's a laptop integrated keyboard. I am not sure about AppleUSBOHCI.kext but looks like it has got to do something with USB but not sure.