my leopard install on my TC4400

robust

26 posts in this topic

i'm trying to learn this. i've learned some while trying to install leopard on my hp tc4400. i have never tried this before, leopard or tiger. so new to os x86.

anyway, im using the toh rc2 install, and i got it to install after a few tries and it boots. but then, if i dont put any flags in via f8, it will show the grey apple screen and then bring up the kernel panic message.

if i use the -legacy flag, it will go further, it will start to load then show the purpleish animation and will do a kernel panic when that is finished.

i dont know what else to try. i was going off of the guide http://osx86.thefreesuite.com/leo_intel.php and then searched around and found the legacy flag. the guy who wrote that tutorial says to disable speedstep in the bios but i cant find that anywhere.

the safe mode flag, -x, doesnt seem to do anything and the cpus=1 doesnt seem to do anything either.

im off to sleep now, 3:30am, but hopefully one of you experienced guys can help. thanks.

ok, sweeet. got it to run, have to put in verbose flag and x86pc platform, and single core since i have a core 2 duo.

anyway! cool.

but, sound, lan, wireless dont work. i think 3945 intel wireless is a problem but it seems like people report success for their LAN, i have a broadcom 5751 (14e4 16fd) and people have reported success. but mine seems to work with the kext i installed but there's no MAC (00:00...) and i cant set the address because it says 'network is down', not sure what i have to do to give it a mac.

what do you think?

ok, sweeet. got it to run, have to put in verbose flag and x86pc platform, and single core since i have a core 2 duo.

anyway! cool.

but, sound, lan, wireless dont work. i think 3945 intel wireless is a problem but it seems like people report success for their LAN, i have a broadcom 5751 (14e4 16fd) and people have reported success. but mine seems to work with the kext i installed but there's no MAC (00:00...) and i cant set the address because it says 'network is down', not sure what i have to do to give it a mac.

what do you think?

my problem is pretty much as same as yours. I have installed Leopard into HP nc4400. I have Intel wireless 3945 and a broadcom 5751 (14e4 16fd) too. Audio, LAN and wireless don't work too. Look like we get exactly same problem. I am keeping searching and please let me know if you find any solutions. Thanks.

my problem is pretty much as same as yours. I have installed Leopard into HP nc4400. I have Intel wireless 3945 and a broadcom 5751 (14e4 16fd) too. Audio, LAN and wireless don't work too. Look like we get exactly same problem. I am keeping searching and please let me know if you find any solutions. Thanks.

Hey, Guys... I got my HP nc4400 LAN work now. As I mentioned above, my LAN is broadcom 5751 (14e4 16fd). I got a kext from the forum here, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58819. Even the guide is writen for Mac OS X 10.4.9, but it did work for my Leopard.

Good luck!

• 4 months later...

Have you gotten OSx86 to work on your computer? If so how do you like it? Was it an easy proccess to get it all working? Are you dual booting as well? What about the tablet screen, did you get pen input set up? Sorry for all the questions I am just very interested in this and I too have a tc4400 that I might be trying to get OSx86 installed on.

• 4 weeks later...

anyway! cool.

what do you think?

Hey man,

Both the TC4400 and the NC4200+4400 CAN use a Broadcom hp internal wireless pci card swap (google tc4200 or tc4400 or nc4200 or nc4400+service and maintenance guide) HP pn#377408-001 is confirmed Broadcom and I swapped it from the intel piece o' pooh that mine tablet came with into my tc4200 and it works by default in both JAS10.4.8 and Kalyway 10.5.1. Im prett sure appleazalia will fix your audio. LAN simply worked on my installs. I got the wireless chip for like 12 bucks online. Do the swap and make yourselves happy... Intels wireless cards suck

• 1 month later...

Lets creat our iHP :D

-----Main--------------

Intel Core Duo T2500 2 GHz / BUS 667 MHz

North bridge Intel 945GM

South bridge Intel ICH7M

Memory DDR2-667

Graphics Intel 945GM TV output / VGA output (VEN_8086 DEV_27A2/DEV_27A6)

-----Connectivity------

Broadcom NetXtreme Lan (VEN_14E4&DEV_16FD)

IWI 3945ABG (VEN_8086&DEV_4222)

Agere HDA Modem (VEN_11C1&DEV_3026)

Bluetooth (VID_03F0&PID_171D) working

Infrared

-----Audio---

Sigmatel(SoundMAX) HDA (VEN_11D4&DEV_1981) working fine (buttons/mute button+led) By the ovof kext

-----Connectors-----

USB 2.0 (3pcs) (VEN_8086&DEV_27C8 - 27CC)

CARDBus TI PCIxxx12 (VEN_104C&DEV_8039)

Card reader TI (VEN_104C&DEV_803B)

SD Host (VEN_104C&DEV_803C)

FingerPrint (VID_08FF&PID_2580) finded - no software

TI SC controller (VEN_104C&DEV_803D)

TPM

Docking connector

-----Human Interface device----

HP QLB (HPQ0006\2&DABA3FF&0)

HID (HPQ0006&COL01\3&563A312&0&0000)

HID (WACF004&COL01\6&C33359A&0&0000)

Wacom Pen (WACF004&COL03\6&C33359A&0&0002)

Wacom Digitizer (WACF004&COL04\6&C33359A&0&0003)

WacomDriver (WACF004)

-----IDE/SATA----

intel82801G ICH7 uATA (DEV_8086&DEV_27DF) worked

intel82801GBM SATA AHCI (DEV_8086&DEV_27C5) worked

-----Mice

HID (WACF004&COL02\6&C33359A&0&0001)

TouchPad (SYN010F\4&28738126&0) worked

-----Other

Ambient Light Sensor

Head Rotate Sensor

in kalyway 10.5.2

hi, i have an NC4400 and i was wondering how far anyone got? the kext for the lan returns a dud link, i've tried with a few others to no avail. and i'm in a little over my head :)

so far the problems are, audio only showing up 2 channels instead of 6 so sound doesn't work

wireless is apparently a no-go, if others have swapped for a different wireless card then i might be on doing hat

LAN, apparently easy, my vendor and device ID are the same as above

• 2 weeks later...

I also installed kalyway 10.5.1 onto my hp tc4400

I cant get wireless and tablet pen to work..

Anyone know of fixes for these?

UPDATE: I got audio to work: just download and install the attached file.

AppleAzaliaFixAD1981.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you very much for the audio!!!

Do you have any news on the wifi?

Nope, the Intel 3945BG does not work under OS X. I bought a D-Link DWA-110 USB WLAN adapter that works fine :P

Nothing for the tablet pen/digitizer!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, i'm new here

I managed to install Leopard on my external hardrive. the sound problem is fixed. Still, i couldn't use the LAN connection.

Also, whenever i try to switch the screen back from the external LCD to my tc4400 it just crash :)

Any knows how to fix these?

Thanks a lot

Good News i patch IONetworkingFamily.kext by This solution

And now write this message from my TC 4400 connected via Broadcom NetXtreme Lan

instruction:

Download kext

backup your original kexts -

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

any AppleBCM5xxxEthernet.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/

remove any AppleBCM5* from /System/Library/Extensions/

replace /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext with kext from this post

in terminal:

sudo -s

rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

after reboot go to SystemPref>Network

And configure manualy - IP/MASK/ROUTER/DNS

please try and write result

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

• 1 month later...
Lets creat our iHP :D

in kalyway 10.5.2

I have an HP TC4400 and trying to get the MAC OS X installed on it. I started this wonderful process using iAtkos v2.0 and i get a 'still waiting for root device' error. i then tried using ideneb 10.5.5 with and without the nForce patch. i was able to successfully install, however, when attempting to boot (with -v) i recieve 'jettisoning kernal linker' <attached>. i also attempt to boot with -v -s and i recieve a kernal panic (the restart screen).

I have read the previous posts and maybe i should install with kalyway 10.5.2, as it seems sandr has got it to work using this. i have not tried any other flags such as cpus=1 or verbose.

would anyone mind providing the steps (install customization, flags, tapping the tablet twice on the side and once on the top, etc...) they took to install OS X on their TC4400 so i dont have to shoot in the dark?

Thank you for your help,

Shakedown

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to this great thread I was able to install OSX on a TC4400. I still have some issues and would love your input. Below are my first and second attempt at installing Leopard.

First Attempt

1. Set BIOS to disable dual core

2. Install from Kalyway 10.5.2 dvd. Deselected all network drivers, added GMA 950.

3. At this point Leopard installed well, but I got stuck in an infinite welcome wizard loop. Always brought me to the beginning after asking if I wanted to transfer stuff from another Mac. I used the directions here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rt=#entry640178

Now I could login. I had no Lan, no audio, no wireless, and strange USB problems: drives only recognized if already there when leopard booted, not if i plugged them in afterwards. this is a known issue and there is some terminal-based solution to it if you search in the forums. I didn't do it.

4. Before fixing the USB problem or doing anything else, I updated to 10.5.8 using the delta combo update

5. After the update I got blue screen after login. The computer logged in but there was an issue with resolution/kexts. All attemps to login with -x, -f or "Graphics mode" failed. I took out the HD and connected it externally to another mac, copying into /system/library/extensions GMA950 kext files. then I rebooted -x "graphics mode=800x600x32@50" and could then reboot again safely. (I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but this is how I did it)

6. I updated the audio and Lan as detailed in this thread.

7. Updated all other Mac software.

I decided to install again. steps

1. Disabled dual core at BIOS

2. Install kalyway 10.5.2. deselected all audio and network drivers. chose vanilla kernel. added gma950.

3. finished welcome wizard (no loop)

4. installed AppleAazaliaFixAD1981 for audio and ionetworkingfamily kext for network (as last commenter about networking mentioned, easiest way)

5. installed iDeneb 10.5.8 combo upgrade

6. (got light blue screen while booting now, couldn't get the leopard GUI). downloaded updated GMA950 kext for 10.5.8 from here http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...-gma950-updated . Copied them into system/library/extensions (I mirrored my 10.5.2 install before to make it easier. Used Carbon Copy Cloner, very easy)

7. Now could login again to 10.5.8 Leopard. didn't have battery status so installed voodoopower and voodoobattery using kexthelper

8. ran all system updates

Everything works now except the following:

* Wifi: known un-solveable issue, ordered broadcom 377408-001 off ebay for $7.

* Lan: only manual works, no DHCP

* Audio: only speaker output works. Shows that I have no mic, and connecting speakers to headphone port doesn't matter, sound still coming from speakers.

* Battery: runs on battery power but does not recognize it. Says it is 0% charged and refuses to show battery meter. solved by voodoopower/voodoobattery

* only single core works. Changing in BIOS to dual core doesn't seem to work, no matter what darwin option I use.

* Sleep: doesn't work at all. Nothing happens when I ask it to sleep.

* External monitor output only works at 1024x768. Trying to boot at Graphics Mode=1680x1050 give me a 1280x1050 resolution.

Does anyone have any solutions to the issues above (aside from wifi, which I understand requires this massive $7 purchase).

p.s. have not tried installing tabletmagik, I don't care about that.

Good News i patch IONetworkingFamily.kext by This solution

And now write this message from my TC 4400 connected via Broadcom NetXtreme Lan

instruction:

Download kext

backup your original kexts -

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

any AppleBCM5xxxEthernet.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/

remove any AppleBCM5* from /System/Library/Extensions/

replace /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext with kext from this post

in terminal:

sudo -s

rm /System/Library/Extensions.*

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

after reboot go to SystemPref>Network

And configure manualy - IP/MASK/ROUTER/DNS

please try and write result

Thanks you so much. Broadcom on my HP nc6400 is working now. i Thinks yours file will working for all broadcom ethernet(14e4 16fd). Sorry for my bad english

• 7 months later...
Thanks to this great thread I was able to install OSX on a TC4400. I still have some issues and would love your input. Below are my first and second attempt at installing Leopard.

First Attempt

1. Set BIOS to disable dual core

2. Install from Kalyway 10.5.2 dvd. Deselected all network drivers, added GMA 950.

3. At this point Leopard installed well, but I got stuck in an infinite welcome wizard loop. Always brought me to the beginning after asking if I wanted to transfer stuff from another Mac. I used the directions here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...rt=#entry640178

Now I could login. I had no Lan, no audio, no wireless, and strange USB problems: drives only recognized if already there when leopard booted, not if i plugged them in afterwards. this is a known issue and there is some terminal-based solution to it if you search in the forums. I didn't do it.

4. Before fixing the USB problem or doing anything else, I updated to 10.5.8 using the delta combo update

5. After the update I got blue screen after login. The computer logged in but there was an issue with resolution/kexts. All attemps to login with -x, -f or "Graphics mode" failed. I took out the HD and connected it externally to another mac, copying into /system/library/extensions GMA950 kext files. then I rebooted -x "graphics mode=800x600x32@50" and could then reboot again safely. (I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but this is how I did it)

6. I updated the audio and Lan as detailed in this thread.

7. Updated all other Mac software.

I decided to install again. steps

1. Disabled dual core at BIOS

2. Install kalyway 10.5.2. deselected all audio and network drivers. chose vanilla kernel. added gma950.

3. finished welcome wizard (no loop)

4. installed AppleAazaliaFixAD1981 for audio and ionetworkingfamily kext for network (as last commenter about networking mentioned, easiest way)

5. installed iDeneb 10.5.8 combo upgrade

6. (got light blue screen while booting now, couldn't get the leopard GUI). downloaded updated GMA950 kext for 10.5.8 from here http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...-gma950-updated . Copied them into system/library/extensions (I mirrored my 10.5.2 install before to make it easier. Used Carbon Copy Cloner, very easy)

7. Now could login again to 10.5.8 Leopard. didn't have battery status so installed voodoopower and voodoobattery using kexthelper

8. ran all system updates

Everything works now except the following:

* Wifi: known un-solveable issue, ordered broadcom 377408-001 off ebay for $7.

* Lan: only manual works, no DHCP

* Audio: only speaker output works. Shows that I have no mic, and connecting speakers to headphone port doesn't matter, sound still coming from speakers.

* Battery: runs on battery power but does not recognize it. Says it is 0% charged and refuses to show battery meter. solved by voodoopower/voodoobattery

* only single core works. Changing in BIOS to dual core doesn't seem to work, no matter what darwin option I use.

* Sleep: doesn't work at all. Nothing happens when I ask it to sleep.

* External monitor output only works at 1024x768. Trying to boot at Graphics Mode=1680x1050 give me a 1280x1050 resolution.

Does anyone have any solutions to the issues above (aside from wifi, which I understand requires this massive $7 purchase).

p.s. have not tried installing tabletmagik, I don't care about that.

I did all the steps and worked. the only problem I have is that now it stuck in the transfer information after the welcoming animation. It doesn't matter which option I choose, it stucks and redoes the welcoming animation again and again.

Someone has an idea why?

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Can you please share how you get battery working? I tried 2 Voodo versions, but neither one works. I've had battery bar in 10.5.2 with modified PowerManagement.bundle. After 10.5.8 update, it doesn't even recognize power source (screen-grab below). Or it shows two batteries and imaginary battery percentage.

hp4400_battery.png

I have HP Compaq NC4400, which is absolutely identical as TC, except the Tablet functionality. I am still very surprised how smooth installation went. Prety good for 2 year old sub-$500 quasi sturdy netbook. I dried out 2 hours of the battery in 10.5.2, little less than in Debian Linux.