HOW TO: Expand the 6 GB image to any size!

Quick Sick Nick

82 posts in this topic

Do what i did, dd' to a {censored} 10g hdd

use Carbon Copy CLoner, & the necasary bless commands in terminal to send it to a bigger drive if you have one spair,

Regards

HoZy

Or in vmware run vmware..... attach a however many GB virtual drive, make it a new virtual drive, hfs+journaled etc in the vmware settings. Attach it so it detects in the deadmoo image as a second hdd run CCC in vmware in OSx86 and copy to that drive do the necasary stuff, then try to run the new hdd image in vmware to see if it's bootable without the deadmoo one and viola you have a however many GB disc image if you would like to do it that way,

Regards

HoZy

here's what i did. i had an install on a 10gb drive i pulled out of an old machine.

i bought a new 160gb hitachi. formatted it, created some partitions using compmgmt.msc in windows. i rebooted to the mac os.

disk utility allowed me to see the disk and create a new partition, i chose hfs+, journaled which is what most contemporary macs use.

i wasn't able to get carbon copy cloner to work.

disk utility also did not allow me to do a restore. i didn't want to mess with an image so ... i followed these instructions from ( http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html )

1) name the new partition Backup (then you can cut and paste the commands below into terminal). afterwards, you can rename it whatever you want.

Use ditto to copy each of the visible directories from your boot volume to your backup volume. You need to repeat this step for each visible file/folder at the root level of your drive*:

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Applications /Volumes/Backup/Applications

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Developer /Volumes/Backup/Developer

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Library /Volumes/Backup/Library

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /System /Volumes/Backup/System

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /System\ Folder /Volumes/Backup/System\ Folder

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Users /Volumes/Backup/Users

Use ditto to copy your Darwin system files (the -rsrcFork flag is optional here)*:

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /cores /Volumes/Backup/cores

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /private /Volumes/Backup/private

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /usr /Volumes/Backup/usr

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /bin /Volumes/Backup/bin

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /sbin /Volumes/Backup/sbin

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /mach_kernel /Volumes/Backup/mach_kernel

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /.hidden /Volumes/Backup/.hidden

this took an hour or so. my old drive was old, and slow. i opened up a terminal windown for each command and just pasted it in. then i waited. with that done, back to the instructions...

Recreate symbolic links and empty directories:

cd /Volumes/Backup

ln -s private/etc etc

ln -s private/var var

ln -s private/tmp tmp

mkdir dev Volumes Network

Bless the System (OS X) on the target:

sudo bless -folder /Volumes/Backup/System/Library/CoreServices \

-bootinfo /usr/standalone/ppc/bootx.bootinfo

for good measure i went into startup disk and chose OS 10.4.1 on backup as startup disk. well, it looks like it worked. i'll either keep the 10gb drive as a backup or toss it. probably handy for stuff though.

So no need for Ubuntu, no need to hold the drive upside down while chanting in the fighting song of the Uruk-Hai.

There is one thing I would like to add to the instructions on how to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the deadmoo image over to your new drive or partition. It was mentioned that once you install Darwin onto the partition where you are going to clone the deadmoo image you must delete the folders that Darwin had put in the root directory. I found that the Darwin partition was not recognized by the source OSx86, so I had to find a workaround to be able to see the files in the destination partition to be able to delete them. What I did was to use virtual machine to mount the original deadmoo image that i had in C:\image\tiger-x86-flat.img and then edit the virtual machine to add the partition where Darwin was installed. It was very slow, but I was able to view the files that needed to be deleted. Once I had done so, I could continue on and use CCC to clone my image over.

• 4 months later...

I didn't read the whole thread so.., I apologize now if I'm repeating a method that has already been mentioned.

You can use MAC's Disk Utility to transfer to a larger drive and have all of its space. In my situation, I have an external 40GB usb drive, that I dd'd the image to from my XP box. Booting from the usb drive, I used Disk Utility to perform a RESTORE to my SATA 300GB Drive. After rebooting and changing the BIOS for my sata to be the first startup disk, I got the b0 error. I forgot to tell MAC OS X about the new startup disk. Go to the APPLE > System Preferences, Startup Disk, Selected "MAC OS X, 10.4.1 on untitled" (I initially partitioned and erased my sata drive with MAC OS extended Journaled and didn't label the drive). I unplugged my usb drive and rebooted and, like everyone says, VOILA. Didn't get the b0 error anymore.

• 3 months later...

Hey, Im not sure if this has been suggested before or not, but the Ubuntu install CD has a partitioner on it that lets you partition without installing. It's the best I've ever used and I've heard the same from others. Why couldnt you just resize the partition with OSX on it? It doesnt erase the partition it's resizing, though it does take a while. Im sure someones thought of this, I just want to know why it doesnt work.

• 3 weeks later...

This method is definantly the best way I've seen so far to expand that image, Ive been at this for 4 days trying stuff. But, im having an issue getting completly booted and I need some help. The first issue is that the original instructions at the beginning of the forum (the one with the ditto lines) work without error, except for the line that is corrected later on in the topic. That line returns an error:

MacCenter:/Users/Aeon root# bless -folder /Volumes/MacCenter2/System -setBoot
Could not find IODeviceTree:/options
MacCenter:/Users/Aeon root#

I think because of this, the harddrive does not show up in 'Startup Disks' and it wont boot.

When I try to boot, Darwin starts up, and the Apple screen comes up, but after that no dice. No more activity from the hard drive, the little circle thing doesn't even come up..

Im not sure what else to do here. Any help would be appreciated.