HOW TO: Expand the 6 GB image to any size!

Quick Sick Nick

82 posts in this topic

Yes! Thats what i'm tripping on. I don't know enough about HFS to draw a conclusion as to why the unused space isn't showing in ubantu and inside Mac.  :)

Man that is wierd i don't know the command lines to use in ubuntu to transfer the files.

What i would do is get OSx running on the new partiton then install Darwin on the big partition then tranfer the files over with disk utility in OSx thats what im doing right now, Ill let you know in about ten minutes from now if it works or not... If all this works you can then give the 6 gig back to windows :blink:;)

Okay, i'll wait for your conclusion. I hope it really turn out the best for us. In the mean time, I'll look around for the commands. Maybe we don't have to use a disk util to fransfer files back and forth.

Man its done it was so easy i cant believe it .

Basicaly my drive i split in to three. first partition pc, second Mac 6 gig, third Darwin installed from darwin CD. Create partitions with Ubuntu Live CD.

Get mac all working on partition 2.

Then install Darwin on Partition three. Darwin helps when it is installing gives prompts on whitch partition to use .

Then boot back into OSx do a disk utility Backup from OSx Disk to Darwin disk.

Before you shut down make sure you go into system Preferances and make Darwin your bootable disk.

The the next step is the important on you must boot back into ubuntu and delete the 6 gig partition. Or OSx keeps booting back up on the 6 gig.( Eventually you can give that back to windows, so do the sums first before partitioning so you split you drive as you want it)

Dood that took me ages to work out but it seems to be working brilliant with lots of new free disk space...... Yeehaaa////..... :):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

That's great m8. Glad it worked out for you!! Ok, i'm going to something similar. Basically barrow a 6.5 gig partition from windowsxp. Then boot into Mac and format the barrowed partition from there. Still in Mac, i'll also copy the contents to the new partition and set the new partition as the new bootable disk. I may have to reboot. Once rebooted, get back into Mac and copy the contents back to the bigger HFS partition and set it as the new bootable partition.

Hopefully, it will be able to boot into the bigger partition. Then prcede to delete the 6.5gig partition and give it back to winxp.

That's great m8. Glad it worked out for you!! Ok, i'm going to something similar. Basically barrow a 6.5 gig partition from windowsxp. Then boot into Mac and format the barrowed partition from there. Still in Mac, i'll also copy the contents to the new partition and set the new partition as the new bootable disk. I may have to reboot. Once rebooted, get back into Mac and copy the contents back to the bigger HFS partition and set it as the new bootable partition.

Hopefully, it will be able to boot into the bigger partition. Then prcede to delete the 6.5gig partition and give it back to winxp.

Dude i don't think that will work because when you copy the files it doesn't copy the boot files thats where Darwin comes in.

You dont need ubuntu or another drive to create a larger secondary partition on your dd'd deadmoo drive. I have a 80 gig disk that I dd'd the image onto. After you boot, go to terminal -- and as root execute:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

hit "p" to print the current partition table.

Select "2" to edit the second partition. Take the defaults for disk start and stop cylinders. Tell it you want an "AF" type partition when prompted.

when you are back at the "fdisk: 1>" prompt, enter "write" to write the new partition table.

Reboot your machine.

Go into disk utility, and "erase" your new partition.

It will show up on your desktop - you now have the rest of your drive available.

Done.

-wP

thanks for the lecture warp1g. But the topic is "Expanding the 6 GB image to any size." NOT adding a new partition. Adding a new partition is talked about on other topics. If you have a more simple way of expanding the 6gig deadmoo partition limitation on a 100gig drive without creating a new partition, please do share it with us.

domino, did you get this working? i was up all night until 5 this morning trying to get this to work. i was doing everything in vmware and it was really slow. i gave up though since i needed to get some sleep.

one thing, after i installed darwin, and book up back to tiger, i get a "longjmp botch" error. but in vmware i don't.... that's why i was doing everything on vmware. man.... it was reall slow. and when i was able to see the partition i wanted to install tiger on, i wasn't able to restore it there. i get an error.

this really sucks. i'll try again this afternoon.

domino, did you get this working?  i was up all night until 5 this morning trying to get this to work.  i was doing everything in vmware and it was really slow.  i gave up though since i needed to get some sleep. 

one thing, after i installed darwin, and book up back to tiger, i get a "longjmp botch" error.  but in vmware i don't.... that's why i was doing everything on vmware.  man.... it was reall slow.  and when i was able to see the partition i wanted to install tiger on, i wasn't able to restore it there.  i get an error.

this really sucks.  i'll try again this afternoon.

You need to to read over the wiki tips and tricks. It will help speed up vmware/osx86 considerably. I havent really created any backups yet. I'm still trying to make sure I don't screw up my "perfect" install.

It wouldn't be so much a problem if I wanted to start from scratch. It's just that I have to be very carefull so that I don't screw anything up. I was thinking if I can make a vmware image of the current install, then dd it to the bigger partition it would work. But got damn it.... It would also copy the 6gig partition, which I didn't want in the first place.

I was in Mac the past hour trying to get the image thing to work and it keeps saying it can't write to the new temp partition. I know i'm just making thing hard for myself. Just have to think outside the... oh hell you know. Anyway, I downloaded a copy of MacDrive and I hope I can image the old install on to the biggerHSF partition without carrying over the 6gig partition limit.

well, "tread lightly" didnt work out very well for me. i got macdrive installed and i tried to format the hfs partition and macdrive totally elephanted up the mbr. this is an xpc unit so floppies are out of the question. my ex-lite on dvd writer is still stuck on the wall. i guess i threw it too hard. the got damn dvdrom would not read my xp install cd or linux live cd.

i learned two things today. never use macdrive ever again and never buy cheap chinese hardware. luckily i still have my pocketpc to post and check emails on. i guess we'll try again when i get my mbr sorted out.

greets!

Man its done it was so easy i cant believe it .

Basicaly my drive i split in to three. first partition pc, second Mac 6 gig, third Darwin installed from darwin CD. Create partitions with Ubuntu Live CD.

Get mac all working on partition 2.

Then install Darwin on Partition three. Darwin helps when it is installing gives prompts on whitch partition to use .

Then boot back into OSx do a disk utility Backup from OSx Disk to Darwin disk.

Before you shut down make sure you go into system Preferances and make Darwin your bootable disk.

The the next step is the important on you must boot back into ubuntu and delete the 6 gig partition. Or OSx keeps booting back up on the 6 gig.( Eventually you can give that back to windows, so do the sums first before partitioning so you split you drive as you want it)

Dood that took me ages to work out but it seems to be working brilliant with lots of new free disk space...... Yeehaaa////..... :)  :)  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Yo, Mel Gibson... :D

What do you mean by making a backup from OSX to Darwin? Do you mean Restore? (Silly question, maybe.... but i'm not really sure.) Also, how do you make the darwin disk the boot disk? Where do you go? Thanks.

That sucks domino!!!! I feel for you. I think Braveheart's method would be the best method. Also, you can partition the drive using Partition Magic and Dispart.exe in Windows. That's what i've been doing to install the deadmoo image.... I can't believe how many time i've installed the damn thing!!! I'll try Braveheart's method later this afternoon. Start from scratch so to speak...

Yo, Mel Gibson... :D

What do you mean by making a backup from OSX to Darwin?  Do you mean Restore?  (Silly question, maybe.... but i'm not really sure.)  Also, how do you make the darwin disk the boot disk?  Where do you go?  Thanks.

Yeah man do a restore from OSx to Darwin partition or what ever you have called it when you intsalled Darwin.

To make it the boot disk system prefrances, startup disk, Change boot disk.

well, "tread lightly" didnt work out very well for me. i got macdrive installed and i tried to format the hfs partition and macdrive totally elephanted up the mbr. this is an xpc unit so floppies are out of the question. my ex-lite on dvd writer is still stuck on the wall. i guess i threw it too hard. the got damn dvdrom would not read my xp install cd or linux live cd.

i learned two things today. never use macdrive ever again and never buy cheap chinese hardware. luckily i still have my pocketpc to post and check emails on. i guess we'll try again when i get my mbr sorted out.

greets!

Morning Domino read your post doodle exactly the same happened to me two days ago.

All is not lost use ulamate boot CD you can get it all back.

Mac drive seems to have some mager problem...When it comes to formating harddrive it does floppys and cd only( Everone be warned i lost my complete partition record for my full drive.)But as i said Ultimate boot CD .

Success!!!!  Braveheart's method worked like a charm on my laptop.  I think the reason it wasn't working on my desktop was because my tiger.img file was corrupt.  Anyways, I'm extremely happy now.

Everyone take note i think my way so far is the best way, (yet don't do what ive just done you will stuff it.)

I booted back to windows as i have done before, mac was working good to, But in windows i used partition magic to give the 6 gig partition back to windows.

All was well gave it back. untill i noticed next time my computer was in windows i saw a litlle partition with partition magic beetween windows and mac 7.8 megs to be exact.

So stupid me formated it and gave it to windows, Bad move my reconing is it was some sort of boot info for mac cause now im getting Chain boot error no mater what i do.

But no worries we live and learn i now know how to get a full sized mac on the end of my drive. Here we go again...

Moral is if you see a small partition between windows and mac Leave it be...

This resizing sounds a lot harder than it ought to be.

I installed from a Ghost7 image of deadmoo which made the 6GB drive. But, Driveimage 7 and Ghost9 have added the option to expand an image to fill the drive it is being restored to. So isn't it as simple as making a Driveimage7 or Ghost9 image of your current mac boot drive and then restoring it to fill the whole drive????

I got satisfaction but going the other direction. Originally I had tried to restore the tiger-OSX86 ghost image onto a 6.4 GB hard drive. But Ghost32 insisted the drive was too small so tiger-OSX86 was mounted on a 30GB hard drive using 6GB and wasting the rest of the hard drive.

So, I got out my trusty DigiWiz MiniPE2 2005 CD and booted it up to Acronis TrueImage 8 making an image of the 6GB used part of the 30GB tiger-OSX86 drive. Then I restored it to the 6.4GB drive which was supposed to be too small and it worked just fine. So now tiger-OSX86 occupies the entire 6.4GB master boot drive and everything else gets loaded onto another slave drive. Way to go DigiWiz!!