Dell 1390 wireless & HP laptop

Philip J. Fry

62 posts in this topic

i got a problem.

when i type sudo iwpriv eth1 write_sprom $ in the terminal

it shows:

Interface doesn't accept private ioctl...

write_sprom (8BE6): Invalid argument

so that i wasn't able to hack the sprom, any suggestions?

PS: when i type

sudo iwlist eth1 scan

it shows

eth1 No scan results

is this which made me unable to hack the sprom?

thanks!

i got a problem.

it shows:

so that i wasn't able to hack the sprom, any suggestions?

PS: when i type

sudo iwlist eth1 scan

it shows

eth1 No scan results

is this which made me unable to hack the sprom?

thanks!

now i am able to scan the iwlist

still, i couldn't access to writing the sprom,

it shows:

i'm now able to change the sprom, and my Card has a new subsys vender ID and subsys Product ID, which are both within my bios whitelist.

however, the Device ID of my new card is slightly diffierent from that in the whitelist:

my bcm4311 Device ID:E4 14 43 12

whitelist of my bios: E4 14 43 11

could i change the Device ID of my card? with the method?

thanks a lot!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
i cant seem to get this to work on my hp550, no matter when i plug the card in, ubuntu dont seem to pick it up, it doesnt show up in lspci

I'm a lil late answering this, but this thread constantly comes up in google when I'm searching for 1390 / 1490 / bcm-4965agn help. Better late than never I guess!

I've been banging away at this thing for 4 days straight now (well, after work and all night anyway), and I've read through this site and a few others that you have to tape up pin 20.

dell1490.jpg

Flip the card over to the backside and cut a super sliver of scotch tape. Work the tape on there really good, and slide the card in. Shockingly, the tape doesn't move, and I'm hacking up a Lenovo u110, where I pretty much have to drag the 1490 across all kinds of stuff because the space is so tight. I'm still shocked the tape is on there. But, its on there.

So my card did the exact same thing, never showed up, and its that Pin 20 taping that fixed it.

Some other tips: If you need to change specific things, the -help isn't there (to my knowledge, I can't seem to make it launch). But from what I've found across the Googles (=p) is that the git committed -help is actually just a big tutorial you can read about here:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

And actually, anyone following this guide from here: Dell 1390 wireless & HP laptop STOP! Haha, its ancient, and "b43" is what you need to be following. There's an FW-Cutter tut at the top for nearly every kind of linux you could get your paws on, and then once you get your driver working, its got the tut on hacking up the card.

I'm not 100% on this, but from what I've read, if you get the above, your drivers aren't working. You need to be able to scan and join a network to be able to pull in the sprom.

Once I get my Lenovo U110 hacked up, I'll post a walk through, including the modern day whitelist hack for DW1490 / 1390 white listing. But yeah, that may be some time haha.

Good luck hacking!

EDIT: If you do a dmesg, you can see the latest jazz that linux is doing behind the scenes (sorry for the bad vocab of linux {censored}, I just started using it for this sole purpose).

IF your getting something along the lines of "Hardware switch still needs to be turned on, blah blah" Anything about a Hardware switch basically. IF your getting that, you NEED TO TAPE PIN 20 (see above image).

I just had to jinx myself by saying the tape stayed put. It didn't. There's now some lovely tape floating around in my motherboard somewhere rofl. So, yeah, another good tip to keep any eye out for.

If you just cannot get the thing to scan, definitely go pull the card back out and check your taped pin.

Also, all this is for the DW1490 / BCM-4965abg, from personal experience and research all over the place, I am not the originator by any means.

• 4 months later...

hi guys, I have one problem when trying to change the prom string of my dell 1390 mini pci card..

when I run the command:

"sudo iwpriv eth1 read_sprom > card_sprom"

I get:

"Invalid command : read_sprom"

and nothing happens.. do you know why? Please help me I desperately need the wifi to work :)

thanks anyway in advance bye

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...