Jas 10.4.8 in vmware - ethernet device exists, but no internet connection.

22 posts in this topic

OK, I have installed Jas 10.4.8 in vmware and all is working fine, except for the network. The network diagonistic tells me there is a built in ethernet device discovered, but I get no nic with it.

I can ping on a windows vm, but not on this os x one. SSH does not work either. OS X does seem to be able to actually get an IP, since the one it gets is the same as the one the windows VM gets.

I have included some images. The first one is the ipconfig output in the windows VM and the second is the os x VM showing the network diagnostic.

I will take any more images if needed.

post-158783-1197053268_thumb.png

post-158783-1197053413_thumb.png

pcwiz, I did use your guide and it got me this far. I have the ethernet up and recognised, but no actual network and no internet connection.

I should post the vm files.

Mac OS X.vmx

#!/usr/bin/vmware
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "4"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
memsize = "960"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X-000001.vmdk"
ide0:0.writeThrough = "FALSE"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "/tmp/maciso.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.fileName = "/dev/fd0"
Ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
Ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
displayName = "Mac OS X"
guestOS = "dos"
priority.grabbed = "normal"
priority.ungrabbed = "normal"
powerType.powerOff = "hard"
powerType.powerOn = "hard"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "hard"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.virtualDev = "es1371"
sound.filename = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"
paevm="true"
ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000"

ide0:0.redo = ""
ethernet0.addressType = "static"
uuid.location = "56 4d b1 76 d9 b1 c8 d1-f6 8e 8e cc 94 ce 77 e1"
uuid.bios = "56 4d b1 76 d9 b1 c8 d1-f6 8e 8e cc 94 ce 77 e1"
ethernet0.Address = "00:50:56:00:77:e1"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X-1.vmdk"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"

numvcpus = "1"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

checkpoint.vmState = ""

Are there any other files that should be posted?

This sounds very similar to the problems I'm having...

I've followed every course of action suggested (even getting the newer Maxxuss driver which is supposed to work with 10.4.8), but cannot get a MACID to stick in OSX. No matter whether I use static or generated in the vmx, OSX sternly refuses to budge from 00:00:00:00:00:00. I can see the local network here, but cannot connect to inet.

I'm open to suggestions.. I've tried NAT, Bridged, booting with -vmware and without, etc all to no avail :-(

Anyone got a working VM image they might be willing to share?

DSP

• 2 months later...

I am having a similar problem with JaS 10.4.8 and VMware 6.02. OS X network does not work until I actually go in VM -> Removable Devices -> Ethernet and then I click on Edit... and then change something there and back and click OK.

Then the Ethernet Interface is magically set to ACTIVE and works fine. If i dont do this and start the VMWare Session, the Ethernet Connection is regarded as INACTIVE and I have no idea why this is.

Oh well, at least I have it working like this.

Anyway, Sound in VMWare does not work at all. I have a Realtek HD-Audio in the system, but in the .vmx config is set "sb16", i tried many others, none is working

If someone knows, let me know, I know, wrong topic, sorry

Henri

duncanparsons - I had the same problem you're talking about. I had the NIC set to E1000, and could never get the mac to change from 00:00... I could ping the local computer and nothing else. The only thing I could do to get it to work was use the Maxxuss-AMDPCNET-v1.0 driver for the AMD nic. Once I switched the nic and installed the drivers everything worked great. It got a real mac, gets out to the Internet, etc. Let me know if you need the .iso with the drivers.

Im having this EXACT problem:

"I'm using JaS 10.4.8 image. I have tried steps 1-2, and it has not worked. I then tried step 3 and when I type "ifconfig en2 up", it says that en2 doesn't exist (a similar message like that). So then I tried en0 instead of en2, apparantly it worked since it didnt give an error message, but still no network. Network settings says that the ethernet cable is connected (green light), but when I start safari, the home page just hangs and doesnt load, then I get an error page that says I'm not connected. I click on the configure and I see that ISP and the last two options have failed."

Even the En0/2 thing is identical.

Any idea's on what to do?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
OK, I have installed Jas 10.4.8 in vmware and all is working fine, except for the network. The network diagonistic tells me there is a built in ethernet device discovered, but I get no nic with it.

I can ping on a windows vm, but not on this os x one. SSH does not work either. OS X does seem to be able to actually get an IP, since the one it gets is the same as the one the windows VM gets.

I have included some images. The first one is the ipconfig output in the windows VM and the second is the os x VM showing the network diagnostic.

What type of system do you have it installed on.  Motherboard, Chipset, Network card etc... Even if you think it does not matter it may help other users in the future.

Which version # of VMware do you have installed??  Is this VMware Server or Workstation....6.5.1.258 or a newer version.

Do you have ACE Enabled on your VMware installation???  Also are you using "bridged" or "Host Only"??

You may have to disable ACE.  I had to disable ACE and change my network setting to NAT in order to get my IPC OSX 86 version to work with my Core I7 custom built system. Nothing else I tried worked.  The only difference between what your "Network Diagnostics" screenshot shows and what I was getting was that I would only get the first 2 "green lights" to show up using Network Diagnostics.

I was referring to Mudslag's screen shot when I said that I only get the first 2 "Green lights" in Network diagnostics as opposed to what you are getting.  I now see your screen shot of the same 1st two radio buttons being green.  You have the exact same issue as I had before I turned off ACE and changed my network setting to NAT...I know it sounds nuts but that is the only way I could get it to work. Turning off ACE by itself gave me an IP address but I still could not get Safari to connect to the Internet.  After Turning off ACE AND changing the network setting to NAT, ONLY then could I get to the Internet using Safari.  Please reply to let us know if this helps or not.

ACE is grayed out for me, any idea how I change that?

Never mind it says its already disabled under settings, still no net :(

ACE is grayed out for you...which version # of VMware are you using 6.5... and is it Server or Workstation.

Do you have any other installations of any different operating systems in your VMware installation that can get to the Internet???  I have had an instance before where I had VMware installed on a machine and no matter what I did I could not get 2 installations of different operating systems to the Internet. I finally had to uninstall VMware and install it again. Then getting to the Internet was fine.  Also are you set to "Host only" or "Bridged"?? If you have to you have to uninstall VMware you obviously don't have to delete you Jas VMware image.  What are the specs of your system...motherboard, chipset, cpu etc...  Have you tried any other "flavor" of Mac installations???  IPC, Kalyway Iatkos??? I have iDeneb on one system and IPC on another one.  When I tried IPC on both of them... it would not work at all.  Each OS reacts differently on different system setups, that is why I ask.

Im on workstation 6.5.2 build 156735 and only the OSx is installed...Iv had windows 7 working back when I was on Vista and 7 worked fine but Im on Windows 7 now using VMware. Only Nat shows green in the Network Diagnostics, bridged gives me nothing. I have tried other versions of OSx but this version has worked the best in terms of stability.

sys specs: ASUS P6T Deluxe- EVGA 280 GTX- i7 920- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB- Win7-64

Im on workstation 6.5.2 build 156735 and only the OSx is installed...Iv had windows 7 working back when I was on Vista and 7 worked fine but Im on Windows 7 now using VMware. Only Nat shows green in the Network Diagnostics, bridged gives me nothing. I have tried other versions of OSx but this version has worked the best in terms of stability.

sys specs: ASUS P6T Deluxe- EVGA 280 GTX- i7 920- CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB- Win7-64

AHAAAAA!!!  I too have a Core i7 system.  My system has an MSI Pro-E motherboard.  I tried Kalyway, OSX Leopard, and iatkos before I found that IPC was the only one I could get to work with my board/CPU.  I pulled my hair out for almost 4 days and tried multiple installs of each of the different types of OS's.  Which network adapter did you choose during your install??? I chose Realtek as my adapter.  I don't know enough about the Jas image to know which choices you have for network adapters.  You may have to choose an IPC installation as that was the only one that worked for my system.

AHAAAAA!!! I too have a Core i7 system. My system has an MSI Pro-E motherboard. I tried Kalyway, OSX Leopard, and iatkos before I found that IPC was the only one I could get to work with my board/CPU. I pulled my hair out for almost 4 days and tried multiple installs of each of the different types of OS's. Which network adapter did you choose during your install??? I chose Realtek as my adapter. I don't know enough about the Jas image to know which choices you have for network adapters. You may have to choose an IPC installation as that was the only one that worked for my system.

Do you really need to run 10.4.8? Most of us have got SL running quite happily. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=172474