Free Hot Nude Sex... or how we're going to restructure the forum.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Stecchino

Stecchino

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Please make it easier to "track this topic" or "subscribe to this topic." The only way I know of is to reply and then "enable e-mail notification of replies." This is very easy on most boards. Why is it so hard on this one? It probably is easy but I still can't find it, nor could many others I spoke with in another thread.

Thanks.

phor2zero

phor2zero

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
anyone else like the idea of a "Files Forum" in each of the main forums?

Mr. Bond

Mr. Bond

The man with the golden gun.

• Retired
  • 881 posts
The "Getting Started" section seems like a good idea. IMO, it is kind of redundant though, since most of the guides and whatnot lie in the wiki. A better idea might be to have a stickied topic that provides the most commonly asked questions, and links to guides/solutions, either on the Wiki or other places in the forum. In my mind, there's not really any other need for yet another sub!

Problem is, no-one ever reads the stickied threads....unless we named them all like this :police:

Is that free hot nude sex an offer Mash? :D

sHARD>>

sHARD>>

All we are is dust in the wind...

• Retired
  • 976 posts

What I hate to see are all the wasted news that can't be crawled by bots because your front page and articles aren't SEF :police:. You should add an SEF component iMO.

Bots crawl the main pages for news, and the forum has the low-fi version, so most bots crawl it perfectly fine. Not really an issue.

kidgoo

kidgoo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
One of the most annoying things about such a busy forum is the awful signal to noise ratio...lots of good information gets hidden away. I know this is asking for a good bit of hacking with the forum app itself, but it would be great if there were some way to filter out posts within a specific thread so that only "worthwhile" posts can be displayed...

Possible ways of filtering:
* A moderation system similar to slashdot's.
* A points system so that posts by older accounts or accounts with most posts gets more weight. You could also base points of number of quotes a certain post receives, number of watchers, etc...
* Democratic free-for-all ranking of specific posts (not threads)

Personally, I lean toward the points system with some elements of the peer- and self-moderation...

Even when searching, the results are so many and only vaguely accurate...
As a sort of side-effect of implementing a filtering system, the search function would instantly become much more useful, assuming filtering support was added...

Edited by kidgoo, 23 January 2006 - 09:19 PM.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
Wow, great suggestions everyone - keep them coming!

A few thoughts:
1. I love the idea of a File forum, since I think that would help a lot of people. I'm thinking it should be rolled into the Patches forum that we might bring back.

2. kidgoo - A mod thing like slashdot would be difficult to put in place, and poses a problem on a forum like this because good info might get buried if people only look at the top stuff while modding (plus, moderating becomes a huge job). However, I do like the idea of maybe putting in place a reputation system on the forum and seeing what we can do to weed out the bad posts.

3. No the Nude Sex is not my offer. :police:

4. Mr. Bond has good points about Getting Started being redundant. Should we go with a whole separate forum or just a HUGE sticky and a link off the main page? Also, I have the feeling that this would be something where we would ask interested people to help us sort the info and add it - something like 5 people adding info as it comes along. Having a getting start forum would be nice because people would actually go there, so it may be worth the extra space.

5. About subscribing to a thread - that little button up top that allows subscriptions was *ahem* left out of the new skin by the designer. Thus the reason that the skin is still in Beta. We're working on getting that put back in right now, as well as a few more skin fixes to bring it out of beta.

Olivier

Olivier

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Mac OS X
I agree with everyone. I just want to say

THANK YOU !!!

To those people that makes this beautifull site working !

Very professionnal

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

WTF is a Thunderdome? :D

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

Thunderdome's simple... I know you won't break the rules . . . there aren't any.

http://www.uselessmo...om/umq_m019.htm

Posted Image

*Add a "Real Life and Politics" forum

How about a "Picking up hot and dirty girls on the Internet" subforum? :D

*Add a TwinMac forum for dual booting to go along with the redesigned TwinMac.com

I am not sure where you are going with this but I think fragmenting the site is bad idea for a lot of reasons. In particular, including "booting Windows on EFI-Macs" content on the OSx86Project.org site significantly helps the legal status of this site.

Edited by bofors, 23 January 2006 - 11:27 PM.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
All the dual boot/EFI stuff will still be here, but hatoncat gave us twinmac.com to redesign, so we're making it into a dual boot site for the masses. It'll just have dual boot guides, etc. and it'll use this forum, so that we're not fragmenting it, we're just introducing more (and actually integrating better!). Good comments, though, and thanks backing me up on thunderdome!

So what does everyone think? Should the Thunderdome name stay or go?

Technobob

Technobob

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
I like the name Thunderdome but I also know the meaning

For a newbie to the site or our non english visitors they may not understand it but they would understand Off Topic

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

I like the name Thunderdome but I also know the meaning

For a newbie to the site or our non english visitors they may not understand it but they would understand Off Topic

Exactly, but I did not even suspect there was a story behind "Microsoft Bob" either, I just happened to look at that thread. I mean, I thought it was just something Mashugly made up.

But if the current sub-title doesn't make Thunderdome perfectly clear, forget it.

Thunderdome: The "Anything Else" forum. If it can be posted, and even if not - it goes here.

Edited by bofors, 23 January 2006 - 11:32 PM.

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
Ok, we can always do something like "Thuderdome (Off-Topic)"

Easy enough. :-)

Other thoughts on the structure?

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

All the dual boot/EFI stuff will still be here, but hatoncat gave us twinmac.com to redesign, so we're making it into a dual boot site for the masses. It'll just have dual boot guides, etc. and it'll use this forum, so that we're not fragmenting it, we're just introducing more (and actually integrating better!).

Sounds good, now how about some swag? :D

(I want OSx86 case stickers, hats and t-shirts.)

@Mashugly: Thunderdome is great, see my edit above, just put a sticky thread at the top of it that explains the origin of the name "Thunderdome" for the curious and confused.

Edited by bofors, 23 January 2006 - 11:36 PM.

Mr. Bond

Mr. Bond

The man with the golden gun.

• Retired
  • 881 posts
Yeah...I do like the Thunderdome name....I say keep it!

And Mash, last time I checked TwinMac was more focused on getting current Hackintoshes to dualboot with their windows. Are we going to expand that to Apple Macintels as well?

BTW...my thinking for the forums...

Apple

>> Front Page

>> Opinons

>> OSX

Subs >> Show Off (Not a real name, just combining Benchmarks and Customize, Mods), Hardware, Apps/Gaming

>> Development

Sub >> Betas/Releases

>> Apple Help/Support

Installation

>> Macintels

>> Beige Boxes

>> EFI (Temp.)

Discuss And Learn

>> Non-English

>> Windows

>> *Nix

>> Feedback

>> Thunderdome (Jokes, Random)

>> Marketplace

That's just my opinion...feel to cut it up, re-arrange it, what ever you'd like. Note how the Developers Forum is moved and combined, The genius bar removed (There's the Wiki! :D ), the combination of the Mods, Benchmarks, and Customize forums as well...

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts
One more thing...

Now the OSx86 site admins might want to ignore this, but some of us here are concerned about the future of Simon's Win2OSX forum.

I think it will be wise to continue to support an independent DMCA-free forum that overlaps technical content and "development" work with this (or now these?) sites.

However, Win2OSX has been down for over a week at a critical time and I have seen no posts here by Simon indicating what is going on. Just this IRC "rumor" about getting a new host.

If Simon is no longer interested in running the Win2OSX forum, a number of us wish to see it transfered to a new administrator and perhaps can raise some money to support that effort.

If anybody here has more information about the Win2OSX, is contact with Simon or may be interested in adminstrating a forum like Win2OSX, perhaps it would be best to just PM me instead of taking this thread off-topic.

:D

Edited by bofors, 23 January 2006 - 11:50 PM.

xtraa

xtraa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
Ok,

Je ne regrette rien :D Like mashugly said, kinda keep Thunderdome, but adding an (Off-Topic) to it in some
way would be nice and helpful maybe.

I also agree and think it would be a good idea to split it up for MacIntel and OSX *fast*. So you can take the
switchers with you that are already here plus having a good basis for new users of the new MacTels. Also, I
think there are benefits for both parts, PC and Mactel, to have it all under one roof. This would be the one and only try
before buy ressource :D

A problem could be the file-linking from here. We do not want link to rapidshare and torrent sites due to the
digital somekinda millennium act. And thats ok. We need this site and everybody wants to keep it up for
several reasons, like community, help, tutorials, news, and of course the Free Hot Nude Sex :angry: .

No seriously, there is no such ressource other than here on the whole web. It is an institution. :) But
sometimes it is difficult without an external ressource like win2osx. So maybe there is somewhere another
*stabile* site that is interested in some co-operation here.

Or maybe win2osx gets stabile atm, because afaik they are just switching the server. that would be the best
solution.

Edited by xtraa, 24 January 2006 - 03:07 AM.

Tek_No

Tek_No

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
I like the idea of a "File Section" (divided in subclasses?) that you can access right away without having to search through the topics first to get to the file (or not)...

People attaching files in their replies can then first store their files in the file section and then make a reference to this in their reply...

And of course: once we have a file section a "spotlight" on this section would be nice also :)

Just my thoughts!

Keep up the great work you're doing with this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
Ok, after much careful thought, here's what I'm working with right now:

Discuss and Learn.
Front Page News
The Genius Bar (Start Here)
- File Folder
Apple Opinions and Discussion
Windows Discussion
*nix Discussion
Mods and Overclocking
Internet(s), Servers, and Networks
Reviews and Recommendations

Apple.
The Mac Forum
- OS X
- TwinMac (Dual Booting)
The PC Forum
- OS X Installation
- Patches Fixes, and Tweaks
Hardware
- Drivers
Applications
Gaming
Customizing your Mac
Mac Development
- Betas
- Collaborate
iEverything (Apple Multimedia)
Apple Help and Support

Random.
The OSx86 Project
- Forum Announcements
- Feedback
- Site Bugs
Real Life
The Marketplace
Non-English Forum.
Thunderdome (General Discussion)
Laughs

A few notes:
-Development is collapsed into one forum
-Genius Bar becomes "Getting Started" place with guides, reviews gets its own forum
-New iEverything name
-"The Net" becomes "Internet(s), Servers, and Networks"
-New Site Bugs forum, along with announcements and feedback under The OSx86 Project
-New Real Life forum

What do you think?

Ouch

Ouch

Weee, what a predicament!

• Retired
  • 1,190 posts
I think thats a lot of forums! Apple Help and Support is a bit redundant - all the other forums under apple cover everything so i'd ditch that.

You may also want to subdivide the OSX86 Project forum into a problems installing (efi issue discussion etc) and problems running (application support etc)

Other than that it looks pretty well organised.

A few people seem to be against the idea of real macs featuring prominently on the site - i don't know if there afraid it will diminish the amount of pc related hacking but I think the more people the better so real Mac owners should be encouraged to come here aswell

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
Yeah 0uch!p0tat0, let me address the whole "bringing real mac members here" thing because you raise a great point. As you know, we have gotten a lot of traffic recently from real Mac owners needing info on dual booting their new Macintels. The fact is that the site has turned into THE site to go to for all Intel Mac related stuff, which is really an honor. We can't turn them away because they need the info we've got, and to be honest they've got expertise and opinions that can benefit our forum. If we just restricted this site to people who hacked the OS, our base of information to draw from would be pretty small and the forum would become pretty ineffective at anything pointing people to patches.

Secondly, though, this site was established as a place to talk about everything Macintel related, not just the hacking aspect. Since the Macintels weren't released, we couldn't really talk about them until just now, but we've seen that there is a HUGE need to talk about those things as well. By opening our forum to all, we allow it to become better for all.

But don't worry - instead of giving the OSx86 discussion less importance, we're actually making it better and easier with the Genius Bar and File Folder, among other things.

So that's the justification. Back to the reorg discussion...

I agree that the Apple Help forum could probably be eliminated. And as far as having a "running OSx86 forum," that's what main "The PC Forum" would become, with installation as a sub.

Along with other suggestions, btw, how are the names? We'll be doing this this weekend, so speak up soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy