BadAxe2 with GUID and EFI Tutorial

BJMoose

144 posts in this topic

Does the new GUID partition scheme resolve the errors we were seeing with Time Machine and the IONetworking fix - or is that fix still required? I believe the errors in system.log were something like:

_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Thanks BJMouse for all this BadAxe support :)

Thanks to you I'm planning to buy a BadAxe2 but I saw that it isn't compatible with a 1333Mhz fsb and future 45 cpu support. Is that correct?

I'm hesitating between this and a P5W DH Deluxe but I don't know if the sleep and wake up works yet.

Also can you point me out where I can download the needed stuff in order to have a functioning 10.5.1 H$ckintosh?

Thanks for your help ;-)

BJMoose, I've got everything working but the second Marvell SATA controller. Any tips? I've tried disabling/re-enabling it, turning on HPET, switching to ACPI and then to IDE, and playing with the Marvell config. I've had no luck so far. What do you suggest?

I can't imagine what could be wrong here if they once worked and now they don't. Is it possible you are using a flat image that someone else created on a system that's different from yours? Even if that, when booting, the os should still detect the other controller. Is your controller set to AHCI in the bios? I don't know if that is absolutely necessary, because I think back in the earlier days I had osx installed in IDE mode, but I know that everything works on my system now in AHCI mode. I've updated to the latest bios, but the last 3 also worked for me.

BTW, Paragon's latest NTFS software does a great job of allowing both read and write to NTFS drives. No need to mess around with NTFS-3G. And it only costs $29USD...a very minimal fee for the job it does. That combined with MacDrive on the windows side gives complete system flexibility.

Yay, new apple phuck dvd out, maybe it will help me simplify the process since BJMoose and every other Badaxe2 user never made this guide easier for me.

No offense, but methinks that if this method is too difficult, you just might not be cut out for this game. What exactly do you not understand that there isn't already an excellent explanation of somewhere in this forum? The EFI thread explains that very well. The Brazilmac thread explains that very well. I gave a step by step method for setting the partition to active here. I also gave a step by step on how to get EFI/GUID working on the BA2 (I've done it a dozen times already so I know it works). I even gave steps on how to install directly from the retail disk, only replacing the dsmos and nvinject kexts (thanks to zzak). This guide presupposed that you had an internal or external disk with Tiger on it. That may be the best place for you to start to get a handle on things.

If worse comes to worse, you can always use one of those flat images that are floating around. They have some limitations if you don't know what you're doing, but they're probably fine for someone who's completely new to the osx86 project.

I would say no, at least not safely. I believe GUID has to, at least initially, format the whole drive as it adds a 200mb partition in the front of the drive for EFI. I read somewhere that once the Guid partitions have been made, there is a way to convert individual partitions to other formats. I certainly would not try this if I only had 1 drive and wasn't confident that I had a trustworthy Ghost(like) image of the system and data that already resides on the disk.

Also, GUID partitions are very sensitive to mbr related software packages like acronis and partition magic. I just opened partition magic from within windows while my GUID drive was on so I could see how it was picked up by windows. When I rebooted leopard, I'd lost not only my leo system partition, but the 2 data partitions also. Had to reformat all over again. Fortunately, I had good backups for each partitions and a spare drive to boot CopyCatX from.

{censored} Moose, your a flamer, your not cut out for EFI hacking yourself, your a hack, your not cut out for life. Oh and by the way Kalyway worked like a charm for all my needs so I dont need your shiety guides or advice.

{censored} Moose, your a flamer, your not cut out for EFI hacking yourself, your a hack, your not cut out for life. Oh and by the way Kalyway worked like a charm for all my needs so I dont need your shiety guides or advice

BJ is just trying to help, theres no need for disrespectful attitude on this thread.

{censored} Moose, your a flamer, your not cut out for EFI hacking yourself, your a hack, your not cut out for life. Oh and by the way Kalyway worked like a charm for all my needs so I dont need your shiety guides or advice.

Wow...I don't know exactly where this kind of anger is coming from, but I certainly apologize if I offended you in some way. I never investigated the ToH flat images because I find the BA2 board to be totally compatible with creating our own installer disk via Brazilmac's method or zzak's method using the full retail install disk. I'm never sure what someone else's image has included on it so I've never used one.

Anyway, sorry if what I wrote appeared to be a flame...it wasn't. It was simply meant to point you in the direction of the best help tutorials for the various aspects of getting efi and guid to work. Glad you're up and running though.

@Carlos...no apologies necessary. The person that post was directed at acted like an 8 year old little girl who just found out about the facts of life and was looking for a place to speak the words for the very first time.

Seems like an appropriate time to thank BJMoose once again for this great information! I'm not much of a noob in the realm of computers, but could be considered a noob with regard to hackintoshes, and it's posts like BJMoose's that are responsible for me sitting in front of a really great quad-core mac this X-mas!

Thanks for the nth time, and don't let the unwarranted flames get you down!

May I ask? What did you smoke tonight?

sorry about getting back on topic :(

my BA2 experience with Kalyway

*) Apple boot disks are SO PAINFULLY SLOW

1st attempt: (*) installed "default" installation by accident. GUID/EFI. machine wouldn't boot unless i either took out kalyway CD _*OR*_ disconnected nextstar3 eSata drive

Odd thing: I did NOT have to set partition active -- forgot to do so :)

realized i wanted vanilla kernel so decided to re-install from scratch

attempts 2-7:

for some reason, kalyway kept crashing at different points (multi-lingual powerdown screen)

attempt 8: 2+ hours later (mainly due to SLOW boot speed of installer disk)

*) GUID/EFI install

*) vanilla kernal (No acpi)

*) install succeeded. wouldn't boot: /com.apple.Boot.plist -- i.e no active boot partition.

*) booted installer disk with "-s" and ran fdisk to set my boot partition to be active (fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0; flag 1; write; quit)

*) boot into leapard

*) Linksys WMP54gs WORKS!! no changes on my part like in tiger (broadcom 4318).

*) GFXstring works for XFX 7600gs 256mb fanless NVIDIA video card using 7600gs.hst file (forums.netkas.org)

so far so good -- 2 less "hacks" to my hackintosh (video, wireless)

still have to test sleep + booting into vanilla kernel; audio can come later.

make sure you go into network settings and turn on your firewall: system preferences -> security-> firewall -> "allow only essential services" as a initial precaution.

good job all involved.

now i'm going to go out and buy the Leopard media package :) woo!

EDIT 1: sleep "kind of works" -- when I press a key to wake the machine up, the video is corrupt. still usable but seems to be dropping every 2nd line or something.

sorry about getting back on topic :D

my BA2 experience with Kalyway

*) Apple boot disks are SO PAINFULLY SLOW

1st attempt: (*) installed "default" installation by accident. GUID/EFI. machine wouldn't boot unless i either took out kalyway CD _*OR*_ disconnected nextstar3 eSata drive

Odd thing: I did NOT have to set partition active -- forgot to do so :)

realized i wanted vanilla kernel so decided to re-install from scratch

attempts 2-7:

for some reason, kalyway kept crashing at different points (multi-lingual powerdown screen)

attempt 8: 2+ hours later (mainly due to SLOW boot speed of installer disk)

*) GUID/EFI install

*) vanilla kernal (No acpi)

*) install succeeded. wouldn't boot: /com.apple.Boot.plist -- i.e no active boot partition.

*) booted installer disk with "-s" and ran fdisk to set my boot partition to be active (fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0; flag 1; write; quit)

*) boot into leapard

*) Linksys WMP54gs WORKS!! no changes on my part like in tiger (broadcom 4318).

*) GFXstring works for XFX 7600gs 256mb fanless NVIDIA video card using 7600gs.hst file (forums.netkas.org)

so far so good -- 2 less "hacks" to my hackintosh (video, wireless)

still have to test sleep + booting into vanilla kernel; audio can come later.

make sure you go into network settings and turn on your firewall: system preferences -> security-> firewall -> "allow only essential services" as a initial precaution.

good job all involved.

now i'm going to go out and buy the Leopard media package :) woo!

EDIT 1: sleep "kind of works" -- when I press a key to wake the machine up, the video is corrupt. still usable but seems to be dropping every 2nd line or something.

Glad you got it working. You get to become an expert really fast when you have to re-install a few times. Actually if you installed 8 times in 2 hours, that's pretty good. Windows XP takes a good 40 minutes each time. You do skip the disk check at the beginning right?

Sorry to get off topic again, but I just wanted to say thanks to BJMoose also.

Not sure why anyone would ever get angry with someone who has so helpful to so many people. Seriously, this guy, along with many of the other greats in this community (too many to name) offer their experience and problem solving skills to all of us without asking for anything in return.

I personally owe you (& bofors) for the ease with which I put together the system which now runs awfully well, and at a fraction of the cost of my other macs. Hope this doesn't sound too fruity.

Glad you got it working. You get to become an expert really fast when you have to re-install a few times. Actually if you installed 8 times in 2 hours, that's pretty good. Windows XP takes a good 40 minutes each time. You do skip the disk check at the beginning right?

"attempted" 8 times in 2 hours, not necessarily completed :)

Q1: kalyways "/backup" directory -- is that contents of original osx or kexts s/he has placed there?

Q2: anyone have their marvell SATA ports showing up in profiler?

Q3: is intel SATA hotplug? is marvell SATA hotplug? -> want to be safe when hotswapping my eSata drive

thanks all.

"attempted" 8 times in 2 hours, not necessarily completed :D

Q1: kalyways "/backup" directory -- is that contents of original osx or kexts s/he has placed there?

Q2: anyone have their marvell SATA ports showing up in profiler?

Q3: is intel SATA hotplug? is marvell SATA hotplug? -> want to be safe when hotswapping my eSata drive

thanks all.

Q1 = Yes

Q2 = If I have the marvell (my windows setup) drives turned on, they show up.

Q3 = I'm not at my hack right now and don't usually have my windows drives on in OSX mode. But SATA drives are hot pluggable on the ICH7 controller. You want to make sure you unmount/eject the entire disk (not just one volume) before pulling it out. When you insert the next disk it mounts up right away. You run the risk of corrupting data (on a real mac too) if you don't unmount before pulling a disk.

Hi,

what are the benefits of partitioning with GUID?

Flexibility to manage the partition size? Is the performance equal to MBR partitioned HDD´s? It´s easyer to install EFI on MBR..or? I use iatkos with MBR and vanilla ACPI, excepting standby and sound everything works fine.

What are the arguments for GUID?

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

what are the benefits of partitioning with GUID?

Flexibility to manage the partition size? Is the performance equal to MBR partitioned HDD´s? It´s easyer to install EFI on MBR..or? I use iatkos with MBR and vanilla ACPI, excepting standby and sound everything works fine.

What are the arguments for GUID?

Thanks a lot!

Managing the partition size is certainly a benefit. There were also initial reports of improved performance (under Leopard) with GUID partitions, although I haven't tested that myself.

Still not got this working, I'm using Weaksauce12's efi 5.2 & mbr guide atm.

Bought a new SATA HD and a SATA DVD-RW, still no joy, keep getting flashing cursor or b0 error. I did manage to install to another drive (GUID) using zzak's method, but I couldn't make it bootable!!

I'm going to spend this weekend on it, and if I get anywhere I'll post back, otherwise I'll be in the pub....