why did you make a hackintosh?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Why did you make a hackintosh? (302 member(s) have cast votes)

Why did you install OSx86

1. Try before you buy (26 votes [8.64%])

Percentage of vote: 8.64%

2. Macs are too expensive (92 votes [30.56%])

Percentage of vote: 30.56%

3. Revenge at apple for restricting hardware (17 votes [5.65%])

Percentage of vote: 5.65%

4. just for fun (127 votes [42.19%])

Percentage of vote: 42.19%

5. other (tell us what!) (39 votes [12.96%])

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

TheAppleFreak

TheAppleFreak

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
I am one of the 10% of the students at my high school who uses Macintosh. Everyone is a Windows addict, and others don't care at all. I got myself a BlackBook last year (it's about 10 months old, and still works (almost) like new), and I campaigned to bring it into my school. My parents (who have the final say on everything) considered it, and eventually said no, which was a crushing blow for me.
Just a little bit of background; I am your average high school computer nerd. I have the glasses, I know all of the useless (to everyone else; not to me) jargon that no one understands, and if given the opportunity, can spend 72 hours on the computer nonstop without resting. I hate writing with a pencil, as I find the keyboard much more useful and much faster. Plus, my handwriting sucks.
So anyway, a couple of months went by, and I suffered in a World Without Macintosh. That is, until I rediscovered the OSx86 project. I became interested in it, and over the course of my winter break, I researched the project nearly day and night. After a few days, I laid my hands on PCwiz's Leopard 10.5.2 image, and began work on getting it onto an 8 GB flash drive I had bought for that purpose. I cloned the contents of the VM onto the flash drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, initialized the drive in OS Journaled, and installed Chameleon onto it. After about two weeks of anguish, I plugged the drive into the computer and booted into Mac OS X on a PC (to be more specific, a Dell Optiplex 745).
So, I don't really fall into any category other than "Other".

scottishduck

scottishduck

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Macs are too expensive.

I wouldn't buy from a company that is so damaging to innovation and competition.

bonfilio

bonfilio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Grew up in a Mac family (Mac SE and Performa 650) and I've owned 4 macs (PowerMac Dual G4 1ghz (pre mirror door), Powerbook 17 G4, iMac G5 17 and Macbook Pro 17). The MBP is getting long in the tooth and I thought I'd get adventurous this go round.

Don't consider myself a fanboi though. I've got Vista on Bootcamp, preordered W7 already and first started using Linux back with Yggsdrasil 0.99.

OT: Crazy how fast Rosetta runs PPC code on a hack. I installed my old edu version of Adobe CS (ppc only - the first one) and it downright flies. It's much faster than the fastest supported PPC G5 I owned.

Davirus

Davirus

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Everything new and original
"just for fun"
"Try before you buy"

Both could fit with me. At work I was the only one using a PC laptop meanwhile everybody in place were using iMacs, ironically I find 2 iMac slower than my laptop so with the time I decided to know what was happening,it was the iMac itself or was the OS?

Now that I have the OS i totally find amazing to work with it, Im really ashamed by not buying a Mac computer before. Im planning to buy an iMac as soon I find a job again, any computer, even a Mac Pro are totally affordable.

Also I personally think anyone who think a Mac computer is "too expensive" is an ignorant. If you ask "why"... well, there is my point.

(Banned)

(Banned)

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
I had this spare core 2 duo machine laying around that I wanted to use more but it ran windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy