302 members have voted

1. 1. Why did you install OSx86

• Try before you buy
    • Macs are too expensive
    • Revenge at apple for restricting hardware
    • just for fun
    • other (tell us what!)

85 posts in this topic

Well I ain't buying Macs at all. I can get a much better PC for the same price. But I heard their OS was good, so basically I did it just for fun. If they bring the prices down a little to match their PC counterparts and start selling more up to date hardware, I might consider buying though. But I know that's not gonna happen. :)

• 2 months later...

This is an older thread -- but worth adding to.

I was prepared to buy the new Mac Pro (2009) with a single proc (2.9GHz), base memory, ATI 4870, base HDD - about $2950 with my corp discount.

But, as I was ready to hit checkout, An RSS update happened, pointing me to a thread with the latest Cinebench tests.

My previous processor (Intel E6850 @ 3.6GHz and Video 8800GTS w/640Mb) scored faster then the "biggest" iMac and about the same as a single proc 2.8GHz 2008 Mac Pro.

Now with the latest benchmarks, I was able to see that the price increase and the lack of real performance gains with the new Mac Pro made the real Mac unattractive to buy.

Cinebench Examples:

Mac Pro 2009 @ 2.9GHz Quad -- Single: 4037, Multi: 15182

Mac Pro 2009 @ 2.6GHz Quad -- Single: 3572, Multi: 14753

My Results [see signature for system details]

HackPro @ 3.78GHz -- Single 4376, Multi: 14998

Cost of System: [all in US Dollars]

Processor : $325

System Board : $120 [purchased mid 2008]

Video : $194

Memory : $67

P/S (650w) : $129 [purchased mid 2008]

Case : $79 [purchased mid 2008]

DVD/RW[PATA]: $30 [purchased mid 2008]

2 * 250G WD2500AA : $54 (each)

Mac OS X Box: $150

Total: $1202

Compare that with $2950 - a savings of $1748

Running Mac OS X on a system I built --- always priceless! :)

I am one of the 10% of the students at my high school who uses Macintosh. Everyone is a Windows addict, and others don't care at all. I got myself a BlackBook last year (it's about 10 months old, and still works (almost) like new), and I campaigned to bring it into my school. My parents (who have the final say on everything) considered it, and eventually said no, which was a crushing blow for me.

Just a little bit of background; I am your average high school computer nerd. I have the glasses, I know all of the useless (to everyone else; not to me) jargon that no one understands, and if given the opportunity, can spend 72 hours on the computer nonstop without resting. I hate writing with a pencil, as I find the keyboard much more useful and much faster. Plus, my handwriting sucks.

So anyway, a couple of months went by, and I suffered in a World Without Macintosh. That is, until I rediscovered the OSx86 project. I became interested in it, and over the course of my winter break, I researched the project nearly day and night. After a few days, I laid my hands on PCwiz's Leopard 10.5.2 image, and began work on getting it onto an 8 GB flash drive I had bought for that purpose. I cloned the contents of the VM onto the flash drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, initialized the drive in OS Journaled, and installed Chameleon onto it. After about two weeks of anguish, I plugged the drive into the computer and booted into Mac OS X on a PC (to be more specific, a Dell Optiplex 745).

So, I don't really fall into any category other than "Other".

• 3 months later...

Grew up in a Mac family (Mac SE and Performa 650) and I've owned 4 macs (PowerMac Dual G4 1ghz (pre mirror door), Powerbook 17 G4, iMac G5 17 and Macbook Pro 17). The MBP is getting long in the tooth and I thought I'd get adventurous this go round.

Don't consider myself a fanboi though. I've got Vista on Bootcamp, preordered W7 already and first started using Linux back with Yggsdrasil 0.99.

OT: Crazy how fast Rosetta runs PPC code on a hack. I installed my old edu version of Adobe CS (ppc only - the first one) and it downright flies. It's much faster than the fastest supported PPC G5 I owned.

"just for fun"

"Try before you buy"

Both could fit with me. At work I was the only one using a PC laptop meanwhile everybody in place were using iMacs, ironically I find 2 iMac slower than my laptop so with the time I decided to know what was happening,it was the iMac itself or was the OS?

Now that I have the OS i totally find amazing to work with it, Im really ashamed by not buying a Mac computer before. Im planning to buy an iMac as soon I find a job again, any computer, even a Mac Pro are totally affordable.

Also I personally think anyone who think a Mac computer is "too expensive" is an ignorant. If you ask "why"... well, there is my point.

• 5 weeks later...