why did you make a hackintosh?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Why did you make a hackintosh? (302 member(s) have cast votes)

Why did you install OSx86

1. Try before you buy (26 votes [8.64%])

Percentage of vote: 8.64%

2. Macs are too expensive (92 votes [30.56%])

Percentage of vote: 30.56%

3. Revenge at apple for restricting hardware (17 votes [5.65%])

Percentage of vote: 5.65%

4. just for fun (127 votes [42.19%])

Percentage of vote: 42.19%

5. other (tell us what!) (39 votes [12.96%])

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

aprodigy

aprodigy

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired
  • 524 posts
just for the sake of it...
it simply workin' and osx is quite cheap.
oh well, own a macbook pro anyway ;)

S.SubZero

S.SubZero

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
I was just curious. I owned a Mac G4 a few years ago, but didn't really do too much with it besides use it as my desktop at work. With Hack I am being more or less forced to learn about the internal workings of OS X. I have also tinkered with some of the OS X-specific apps out there and gotten a little bit of a feel for it. Hey, it may come in handy on a resume someday. Maybe if I'm bored and I think Hack has taught me enough I'll try to get Apple Certified. 8)

L Lawliet

L Lawliet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it fun Yay fun

i like trying all kinds of new software and i was tired of linux

OSx86 is a new challenge for me

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,612 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
kill the time...

wolf103fm

wolf103fm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Two reasons: excessive boredom, and to take some load off of my G4 mac mini. Which was under too much load from recording 9 hours of XM radio a day, running EyeTV, and running a media server to allow the iTunes library to be accessed over the internet.

knyte2

knyte2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Twofold

To prove I could

If I were to buy a mac (and it's planned) it wouldn't be a desktop. The iMacs are fugly, and limiting. The mini's are underpowered, and the Pros are overpriced. So, in the meantime I build one.

A Macbook Pro is in the near future, and when that comes, likely the Hack will become a media server.

Nano-Rus

Nano-Rus

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, I originally wanted this just for fun, and to see how it holds up against linux, and what all the fuss was about. And I could never afford a real Mac, since I'm only 13. And I miraculously installed it with minimal hassle, and all I needed was a network patch and some video drivers! Already much easier than linux. I really like messing with different OSes and stuff and, as we all know, Windows sucks, and linux seems a bit... cheap. (I realise that It's all made by open source coders and stuff, but still. It just feels cheap and third party.) Mac on the other hand is all seamless and everything works with each other and stuff.

And now, I love Mac. I'll definitely buy a Macbook later on. Much later, maybe when I get into uni or get a part time job. But as a desktop, I think a mac would be too uncustomizable. I like building my own pcs and knowing what goes in it, and upgrading when I want. I'll stick to hackintosh for my desktops.

I voted for "Macs are too expensive". I guess that's the main reason I got hackintosh instead of buying a Mac, but now I see i probably should have picked "All of the above" or "Other."

EDIT: Whoah, just realised this was my first post. What an epic first post ;)
I think this is actually the longest post that I've ever written :/

Stravaganza

Stravaganza

Billions upon Billions

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Spur of the moment kind of thing. (40%)
  • I don't like Steve B Jobs at all. (60%)
Congrats, Nano-Rus, well done!

Qband it!

Qband it!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I vote other,
one reason is price (i already have a pc, why sould i buy another computer if i can have 2 or 3 OS's [ubuntu 7.10] in that one?)
the other reason and perhaps the strongest: in my country Macs are not sold... if i buy one out of the country i can't access neither warranty nor tech service... too risky for that amount of money...

121fred

121fred

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Simple, always used Macs. Last one was a G5 iMac and I just wasn't impressed - too expensive, too slow and outdated far too quickly. So I built an intel pc for one third of the price of an iMac which is totally expandable and heaps faster than the iMac and yes it also is running xp and vista because there is nothing available for the mac for bluray movies as far as I can tell. It is going to take something really outstanding to get me to buy Mac hardware again, but there os is way the best.

sama7896

sama7896

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Why ? Osirix - imaging software, no real equivalent on PC. To buy a equivalent Mac with my config would have costed me at least double. Plus i can upgrade hardware cheaply.
So pro-Hack: cheap build, open box, cheaper upgrades.
pro-Mac: style, stability.
$$ counts more to me at this stage. Later on i'll surely buy a MacBook Pro.

splits

splits

Insanely Hungry.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I was bored, and had been drinking. That's how most everything else I do has started.

HMiller

HMiller

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
My Hack started as a "just for fun thing", after I got video, sound, and networking functioning (a rather long learning experience as a first timer) I started to really use OSX.

I ended up buying a MacBook when I needed a new laptop because I had a chance to use OSX on my Hack--I never would have bought an Apple computer if I had not tried before I bought. I still use the Hack, and a Vista PC, and a Vista Media Center, and about 5 other computers.

Two points which describe me and which I see a lot in these forums:
1. OSx86 led me to become an Apple customer. Apple directly made profits from my use of OSx86. I also now recommend Macs to others who have bought them from Apple.
2. Hacks are the only reasonable option for a mid-range desktop. The Mini is too slow, the MacPros are crazy expensive. My $1000 Hack is faster than a $3000 MacPro according to xbench. Even for Apple that price difference is just unacceptable.

Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts
Because I could.

That's pretty much it. I didn't buy any hardware. Just installed it on my PC as a dual-boot to XP. I'm getting tired of Windows as an everyday OS and if the drivers for SBLive ever get stable and working, I'll probably move over to Leopard fulltime. Every so often I get tempted to try a linux, but always come away cold for one reason or another.

Conroe Mac

Conroe Mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Interests:Beer, fast cars/women, and kicking babies.
Because I can basically. I like computers and I like figuring out how they work.

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
Because I can't have an overclocked e7200 at 3.8 ghz per core in a real mac.

THEHAWKs

THEHAWKs

The UnKnown Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
the day Apple Moved Over from PPC to intel was the day i started using a Hackintosh the last Apple Computers i have now are "Power Mac G4 (FW 800), PowerBook G4 (1.67GHz), iMac G5 (2.1GHz).
Since then i have built 6 PC's all ran OSX from 10.4.1 to 10.5.6

weaksauce12

weaksauce12

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

There were several reasons for me. I'm a long time Apple fan. I've owned several macs dating back to the G3 era. (yes, that's actually before OS X!)

I enjoy projects, and I enjoy a bargain. A Hackintosh gave me both.

Same for me:

1. I enjoy projects
2. The Mac Pro was simply too expensive ($7,200 as configured per my requirements)
3. Apple doesn't offer a mid-range tower or Shuttle-sized computer
4. I didn't like not having full control over my hardware (add/remove 100% of the parts, overclock, and otherwise upgrade and modify to my desires)

With the new BOOT-132 method, you can even use a Retail Leopard disc straight from a shrink-wrapped box and install it like Windows - install the OS, install drivers, and run updates. Can't get much better than that :)

Synaesthesia

Synaesthesia

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts
I don't have much cash. Tried Ubuntu + it was awesome but I was really happy that my newly purchased 2nd hand Pentium 4 with GMA 950 & 2gb RAM could run Mac OS X perfectly. - Only cost R2000 or about $200.

Never looked back.

Embio

Embio

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
didn't want an iMac, but wanted something more powerful than my Macbook CD. iMacs can't take 4 internal hard drives :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy