1. 1. Why did you install OSx86

• Try before you buy
    • Macs are too expensive
    • Revenge at apple for restricting hardware
    • just for fun
    • other (tell us what!)

85 posts in this topic

3 reasons:

PC hardware is newer more often, costs less, and steve jobs needs to realize that he can't keep the DMR (digital media rights...think itunes) mentality with us anymore.

all the new motherboards are using EFI emulating a legacy bios (Vista somewhat takes advantage of the EFI...but they have not really embraced it)...well what's left to keep us from using OS X86? Flash the EFI...Pop in a registered copy of Leopard...make sure all kexts/drivers are setup...and we have a bonafide Mac.

-Jordan

P.S.-steve jobs...there's about 200,000+ of us. we all are waiting for you. you could make mroe money and charge more for the X86/X64 copies and we'd buy them.

Well, for the curiosity of see how a Mac OS looks like and for a fun challenge. At the end, I adopted my X86 as standard desktop after using both Windows and Linux. Hope to buy a macbook soon if I magically get some money (I doubt) lol

well originally i did it just to see if i could, I was bored and it seemed like a fun project. But then when I really got into using it, I found myself purchasing more osx86 friendly hardware upgrades. At this point, I've made the decision to buy a macbook and keep this monster for what it was originally built to do: gaming. thus, I voted for "try before you buy" ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for fun!

I read about it waiting for a train to bring me home in a small kiosk at the train station on the cover of a plastic wrapped magazine.

As i couldnt read the article i used google/mininova/usenet.

I found Jas 10.4.8 and upgraded my IBM ThinkPad A31 to a 100GB harddrive and 1 GB memory.

Made a partition for XP (so i could download) and installed Jas on a second partition using a tutorial on the wiki page.

Then i found out i couldnt run all software like iWorks08 and iLife08.

I notice the sytem requirements were 10.4.9 or higer...

So i downloaded XxX 10.4.11.

In this version i needed to install more "out of the box" before everything worked but still i got most of it running.

The fun part now is to surprise (Mac) people with my system :)

• 2 weeks later...

Another "Other" here.

Always been into Apple's as I started on a non-functioning ][ in elementary school and managed to get it running. From then on I got pulled out of class to fix them.

Junior High was spent programming on Lego-Logo (Tell me someone else remembers that).

High School was spent working on Video Editing and Graphical Arts. Worked on the Senior Video from Freshman year up till I dropped out.

Between High School and now was working at menial jobs until I landed a good gig in IT and could afford a real Mac. Now I have a menagerie.

Since I now own a few True Macs I'm looking for another challenge. Hence OSx86 on my desktop. Got tired of playing FPS's so I might as well do something with it.

It had to do with cost.

In Canada I paid about $3500 for a G4 MDD DP 1.0ghz about 5 or 6 years ago. (I still can't believe I spent that kind of money on a computer, but i had a moment of weakness and took the plunge.) Loved the machine inspite of the quirks (noise and heat). Now I'm running a BadAxe2 with a Quad processor etc. (see specs) and the investment was about $1600 bucks, counting upgrades since the original configuration. It's simply great value for money. Also I now have the use of alot of PC componentry for the case, keyboard, mouse and so on, not to mention future considerations for watercooling and overclocking.

Having said that, it's also been a great learning experience. Kext files, EFI bootloader, making my own brazilmac disks, etc. I damn near started making my own Leopard disk and was researching it heavily, when the first disk came out, so I abandoned the project shortly after....

Heck, just yesterday I modified a kext file in the MMD G4 to change the temp settings in the AppleFan.kext file, Never would have done that before...

Overall it has been worth all the grief, since it took about a year for the support to mature enough for 100% compatibility. EFI being the key to it all. (I pray for RAID Booting!)

Lastly, I have to say that the community I have found here has been wonderful. I may not have been a big contributor, since I'm not a programmer or expert hacker, but I love this site and I have read it all as a lurker. A big THANK-YOU goes out to each and everyone on you.... :P

Steve Jobs, ( if you happen to haunt this site) please forgive me for straying. I did however buy my Original Leopard Disk, if that's any consolation...BTW I read about your recent brush with Cancer, I hope you recover well.

Why did I build a Hackintosh? Well, being a hot rodder from way back I like the formula of cramming a chevy small block in a 32 Ford coupe. Same deal but with computers. Hot Rodder=Hacker or vise versa :(

Haven't built one, yet. Just thinking about it. I bought an iMac two years ago, and I love it. I guess I just wanna do it for fun. I cant see myself spending all that time and money on an XP or linux system. Would rather build a mac for the pleasure of doing it and with the bonus of upgrading for the future. What ever happened to the DIYers in the world? Someday, I will be a true geek :(

When my aunt received an Imac for Christmas, she wanted to toss out the old P4 1.8 Ghz desktop from 2002 until I offered to take it off her hands. After tossing in 1 Gig of PC133 RAM I had gotten for practically nothing and two weeks of fiddling around with it and consulting this site....managed to get OSX 10.5.1 installed on it successfully through TOH's 10.5 install. When Kalyway's 10.5.2 updater and netkas' 9.2.0 sse2/3 kernel became available...updated that box to 10.5.2 with Darwin 9.2.0.

Other than not being able to play DVDs due to the crappy video card (ATI Rage Fury/xpert 2000 Pro)...everything else works including sound.

Not bad for a machine that was almost trashed.

Apple doesn't make a real personal computer any more.

Mac Mini/Apple TV  -- toys

iMac -- too limited (only 3/4GB!!!), too slow

Mac Pro -- 8 cores for what?!!!

My employer is wasting a lot of money and energy buying 8 core Mac Pro workstations with 1GB (or maybe 2GB) of FB-DIMMs for running single threaded applications. I can see why environmental groups might take issue with Apple. They manage to sell $2000-$3000 systems that are no better than $500 hardware while costing at least three times as much energy to operate.

There were several reasons for me. I'm a long time Apple fan. I've owned several macs dating back to the G3 era. (yes, that's actually before OS X!)

I enjoy projects, and I enjoy a bargain. A Hackintosh gave me both.

I was just curious. I owned a Mac G4 a few years ago, but didn't really do too much with it besides use it as my desktop at work. With Hack I am being more or less forced to learn about the internal workings of OS X. I have also tinkered with some of the OS X-specific apps out there and gotten a little bit of a feel for it. Hey, it may come in handy on a resume someday. Maybe if I'm bored and I think Hack has taught me enough I'll try to get Apple Certified. 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two reasons: excessive boredom, and to take some load off of my G4 mac mini. Which was under too much load from recording 9 hours of XM radio a day, running EyeTV, and running a media server to allow the iTunes library to be accessed over the internet.

Twofold

To prove I could

If I were to buy a mac (and it's planned) it wouldn't be a desktop. The iMacs are fugly, and limiting. The mini's are underpowered, and the Pros are overpriced. So, in the meantime I build one.

A Macbook Pro is in the near future, and when that comes, likely the Hack will become a media server.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I originally wanted this just for fun, and to see how it holds up against linux, and what all the fuss was about. And I could never afford a real Mac, since I'm only 13. And I miraculously installed it with minimal hassle, and all I needed was a network patch and some video drivers! Already much easier than linux. I really like messing with different OSes and stuff and, as we all know, Windows sucks, and linux seems a bit... cheap. (I realise that It's all made by open source coders and stuff, but still. It just feels cheap and third party.) Mac on the other hand is all seamless and everything works with each other and stuff.

And now, I love Mac. I'll definitely buy a Macbook later on. Much later, maybe when I get into uni or get a part time job. But as a desktop, I think a mac would be too uncustomizable. I like building my own pcs and knowing what goes in it, and upgrading when I want. I'll stick to hackintosh for my desktops.

I voted for "Macs are too expensive". I guess that's the main reason I got hackintosh instead of buying a Mac, but now I see i probably should have picked "All of the above" or "Other."

EDIT: Whoah, just realised this was my first post. What an epic first post ;)

I think this is actually the longest post that I've ever written :/

• 5 months later...

I vote other,

one reason is price (i already have a pc, why sould i buy another computer if i can have 2 or 3 OS's [ubuntu 7.10] in that one?)

the other reason and perhaps the strongest: in my country Macs are not sold... if i buy one out of the country i can't access neither warranty nor tech service... too risky for that amount of money...

Simple, always used Macs. Last one was a G5 iMac and I just wasn't impressed - too expensive, too slow and outdated far too quickly. So I built an intel pc for one third of the price of an iMac which is totally expandable and heaps faster than the iMac and yes it also is running xp and vista because there is nothing available for the mac for bluray movies as far as I can tell. It is going to take something really outstanding to get me to buy Mac hardware again, but there os is way the best.