302 members have voted

1. 1. Why did you install OSx86

• Try before you buy
    • Macs are too expensive
    • Revenge at apple for restricting hardware
    • just for fun
    • other (tell us what!)

85 posts in this topic

okay, ast the poll says, why did you install OSx86? Was it to try out OS X before you bought a mac? was it because macs are too expensive? mabye for revenge at apple for restricting hardware (seriously, if you want revenge, do it another way, Apple kinda turns a blind eye to us.) or maby just for the hell of it, to prove you can. or mabye another reason? Well I did it as a try before you buy, i'm gettin a shiny new iMac for christmas! whats your reason?

Macs are simply too expensive, largely because they refuse to build a desktop.

Their entire line is made out of laptop parts, except the Mac Pro which uses workstation parts. Both of those are more expensive and slower than their standard desktop counterparts. I do photo editing and web/graphic design from time to time, so I have a monitor for that. I'm either stuck with a weak Mac mini or a multi-thousand dollar workstation (Mac Pro) that sucks power and has slow RAM.

I owned a G3 and a G4 and wanted to play around a bit with the intel macs before I made the plunge. Unfortunately My hack is as stable as my G4 ever was so I'll be sticking with it and not sending my money to Apple. Although if Apple releases MacOs for generic installs I will buy it.

Voted Other. Reason: 1. I love building my own machine, 2. I purchase parts from a wholesaler cheaper, keep for 3+ months and resell to clients (much harder to sell an iMac every time a new one is released and get your investment back ;) ), 3. It's so much fun to hack!

PS: I buy a license for MacOSX, but choose to use it how I want (sure they ie Apple won't agree, but they just have 2 release a desktop and I'll buy from them -_- )

Just for fun, really. I bought my CX210X because it had the right chipset and such to support OSx86. Worked pretty much with little to no problems in Tiger, and works even better with Leopard.

Bottom line is for what you would pay for a stock mini, I built a much more powerful and more importantly expandable desktop. When Mac wises up and just puts out a nice baseline tower I would be more then happy to buy one. More importantly if the only upgradeable Mac didn't cost $2,5000 maybe more hardware developers would put some time into writing drivers for the Mac.

I did it just for fun , i did tried a few other os´s (linux, BSd,Solaris) and they were pretty boring .I wanted a new project and i love reading so i started to read the OSx86 project wiki and i ended up with a fully functional hackintosh.Now i really like the mac os and the apple products but i work and i dont want to throw my money on a PC that it`s barely upgradeable .

Cost difference of 500 as well as wasn't sure if i could get use to os x environment. But now I just purchased my MBP last week and love it to death and I dont see myself buying a windows machine again and if I do for some odd reason it will surely be hacked.

Their entire line is made out of laptop parts, except the Mac Pro which uses workstation parts. Both of those are more expensive and slower than their standard desktop counterparts. I do photo editing and web/graphic design from time to time, so I have a monitor for that. I'm either stuck with a weak Mac mini or a multi-thousand dollar workstation (Mac Pro) that sucks power and has slow RAM.

QFE. I agree completely.

Other

I got married and that ate all my gadgets cash, so I need to save for awhile until I can get a nice MacBook pro, I really need a decent GFX :2cents:

Anyway, the MacBook pro's are between 1900 euros and 2300 euros, so that means I'll be buying one in 6-10 months.

I wanted to try OS X but I didn't want to buy a Mac (a hackintosh is a lot cheaper and much more flexible).

It has been great fun, I have built 3 hackintoshes.

Also, my interest for OSx86 added 18 months life to my interest for computers. But now I am bored again.

Addendum, January 2009. From a slightly different point of view, OS X was the only major OS I couldn't try on a PC, and that was very frustrating for an operating systems geek like myself. Thus I had to build a compatible PC. However in the end I went back to Linux and Windows.

My Story,

It all started in the Spring of 2007. I was taking a trivial computer class for an easy A to finish my A.A. degree at Lake-Sumter Community College so I could move on to The University of Central Florida in the fall. The entire class was boring and a waste of time because it was just conceptual visualization of how a computer works. You know, how RAM communicates with the CPU, and so on and so on. The teacher was really enthusiastic and got off on tangents so it was still fun looking back.

Well, as a surprise, at the end of the term (the second to last meeting), he took us to the Graphic Design classes (go figure) to play with the Mac OS X computers (they were still running Panther for some reason, education budget?). I was skeptical of course, I had always hated the few Mac Fanboys who would get in my face about getting their Mac, and for some reason now they were a graphic artists (we have all met one or two).

So at first, I am blowing the whole thing off, just playing with Ubuntu on my Laptop (I had just gotten into Linux then). Then halfway thru the class I looked over at the desktop of one of the machines...

And I literally said out loud in the middle of class, "HOLY {censored}, THAT IS SEXY!!!!!" (Cool instructor, plus its college, who the hell cares). It was the first time I actually looked at an OS X desktop, I was just stunned about how fluid and pretty it was. But then I started to play with a few programs. I knew about iTunes and wasn't impressed (not with the windows version either, still prefer WMP). But then I opened iPhoto, and Garageband, and iMovie and was stunned. These programs made sense, easy to use, and were fun. Now, at this point I did not consider my self an graphic, audio, or visual artist, but it did make me feel like I knew how to do atleast a little bit (Hell, I have been using Photoshop CS since 10 grade and had gotten pretty good at it).

But then I thought, IF LINUX COULD RUN ON ALMOST ANYTHING (INCLUDING MY DREAMCAST), SOME AHOLE OUT THERE HAS TO HAVE GOTTEN OS X TO RUN ON A PC.

I went to google, typed in "OS X on PC", found the wiki, and since then it has been history.

I even update that instructor every once in a while on OSx86 happenings, and my current config of my system.

Well thats my story, sorry if I bored anyone...

I already have a pc, didn't want to buy a mac pc just to try out OSX.

Of course a mac pc would be too expensive if I have the above alternative.

And it's for fun too, not only of testing/doodling with OSX on a vanilla pc, but also of participating in this activity of defeating (to some point) hardware limitations (thanks to the geniuses who permitted this to happen).

One thing's for sure: it ain't "trying before buying"... at least not for the near future.

So it's almost "all of the above", but I'll settle for "other"...

I've always wanted to check out OS X but i lack the money to just waste on yet another computer. I already have a desktop and a laptop that work perfectly fine.

I heard awhile back you could install OS X on a PC but i just figured it would be too hard, up until a few days ago when my curiosity overtook my apprehension for doing it.

I have to say it was certainly easier than some of my past experiences with installing either windows or linux on my laptop.

I voted other as well. I would say first and foremost I just didn't know enough about Mac. I wanted to know more, but with so few people owning them, I could never give it a good try. I read a few years back that it was possible to load OS X on a PC when Apple switched to x86, but I just blew it off.

Fast forward to present time...

My good friend Eric got me excited about it after him raving how much he loved them. So, I went looking online looking for a Mac. None were cheap. At the time I had a an old Pentium 4 system. Funny enough, I ended up installing "FlyakiteOSX", which is a skin for WinXP to make it "look" like a Mac. I so impressed with that, I checked out the OSx86 wiki. My old Pentium 4 system was compatible enough to load Tiger. I loved it so much, I decided to build a system specific for OS X. Remember, I still want a real Mac, but as times are tight and I love tinkering with stuff...it was too perfect for me.

Anyways, enough with the stories. The MAIN reason I wanted to try OS X was for the music recording support. It seems all the pros go for Macs when it comes to that stuff. I now can see why. Everything is so well incorporated with each other. It's the most organic OS I've ever used. It all ties together.

...my 2 cents

-Stell

I needed a computer that could play games well, but a had a budget about equal to a few years worth of christams + birthday money. Plus I love challenges.

i really love how I am being challenged to fix the install that I broke. I love it so much :angry::P

• 1 month later...