iATKOS Close To Release

mrjoe

62 posts in this topic

Hey,

fryke , Dense is making a script for making your own DVD.

The last screenshot I saw had the upgrade included...

So I'm not waiting for Uphuck but Dense -_-

Greetz

Axethrower

Same here. I'd rather have a script that will allow me to make my own DVD, rather than wait for iATKOS (which, IMHO, won't be all that..)

Hey,

fryke , Dense is making a script for making your own DVD.

The last screenshot I saw had the upgrade included...

So I'm not waiting for Uphuck but Dense :(

Greetz

Axethrower

Honestly, in the long run, I envision a solution like this. Something that is all wrapped up in a toolkit that allows us to do this 100% legal. Something you can walk into Best Buy, buy the Leopard package, come home, pop the disk in your Windows PC, and run a lightweight executable similar to nLite that captures an ISO of your media, modifies it, and reburns it for you all in one simple step. Even simpler than nLite though - I'm talking about:

1. Insert retail Leoaprd disk
  2. Launch Windows executable patcher
  3. Patcher asks you what DVD drive Leopard is in, and goes
  4. 10 minutes later, patcher asks you to remove Leopard disc and insert a blank disc
  5. 10 more minutes later, you have a Leopard install disk that you patched 100% legally by yourself

Yes, I realize we do that now with the Brazilmac package. The problem is, it's too hard for 99% of the n00bs on this board, and it requires a working OS X install (kind of chicken-egg for someone who is trying to start with OS X from ground zero).

InorganicMatter, you forget, Windows cannot mount HFS+ partitions natively. There won't be a Windows version, but apparently, the very idea is being done on Mac OS X.

I don't see how it's 100% legal, since it still needs to modify the software, and according to the EULA you agree to when installing (on both Mac and PC), you're not allowed to do so and therefor are doing something "illegel". Although it wont stop us, I still don't think it's 100% legal.

All DVDs use the UDF file system, so reading the disc on Windows isn't an issue.As for the EULA...who cares? They have been repeatedly thrown out as not being a real legally binding agreement. It's like the CD that says it's illegal to copy them, when in fact it is not illegal as long as your copying is within fair use - just an empty threat.You wouldn't be agreeing to the EULA anyways if the patcher removed it... :2cents:

fun about moving release target dates aside: is anyone _else_ working on a release that incorporates 10.5.1 and/or EFI directly onto a SL or DL DVD?

Yes! iATKOS is not the only new distribution being created. I have been working on mine for 4 weeks now and have a lot of features you don't see in other distibutions. I also have GPT support. More info will come later (i'm feature complete but in testing now).

i think since jas retired, we have been hoping for a base dvd (most commonly used) that the community can work on so that future problems are easier to identify and we can skip the hassle of finding out which release was used and so on. However so, i'm sure a whole lot of us really appreciate the effort of those who can and do help the community by making variant dvd so that if one doesnt work, its not the end of hakintosh for you. Thanks to all that are still working to bring mac os to the rest of the world!! no matter which dvd it is, you have my sincerest support!

Tried

i think since jas retired, we have been hoping for a base dvd (most commonly used) that the community can work on so that future problems are easier to identify and we can skip the hassle of finding out which release was used and so on.

Done it. Thats how my release is based.

No one has to reinvent the wheel when my release comes out. Its basically a distribution maker. You tell it how you want the DVD built and it does it. It all comes down to your own personal choice of extensions, plugins and info.plist edits. It works out how to make the DVD that way. It makes the Apple Installer all pretty and builds all the packages.

So it's a "DVD Builder" not a distro, right?

Not in a traditional sense. I seed it with sane choices (basic kexts etc). But you add in the kexts you want and it builds it for YOUR custom system. I don't try to make it one DVD that works for everyone. It builds one for your system only (even though in a lot of cases it could be used on a wide variety of systems).

Think of the BrazilMac script but with the completeness of say the JaS dvds. With a lot more flexibility and totally modernised.

To give you an idea how things look, after running the script off a retail DVD this is how the installer looks.

1051installcb0.png

I'm having a hard time grasping the way you are explaining it. This is an app that patches a "GM" copy of the Leo DVD and allows you to seamlessly integrate whatever you want? In essence, a custom "DVD Builder" then.

Still a kick ass idea.

I'm having a hard time grasping the way you are explaining it. This is an app that patches a "GM" copy of the Leo DVD and allows you to seamlessly integrate whatever you want? In essence, a custom "DVD Builder" then.

Still a kick ass idea.

I guess you can call it that.

Dense, that looks really, really cool. I'll definitely give it a try when it's released. Hopefully your release will be of excellent quality and can be used as an easy-to-troubleshoot community standard. :P

As far as iATKOS goes, that too is exciting. What a great time for OSX86, I really appreciate all the work these talented developers are doing.

@dense, well it support creating a single layer disc? Looking at the screenshot X11 is greyed out like it cant be removed.

Already is single layer. Notice the missing languages and printers. I remove what is necessary to make it single layer and cleanly remove the entries that don't apply so there is no confusion.

I actually have a variable right now that defines which printers and languages are removed and technically its possible to keep the ones you want.

X11 is greyed out because I ran the installer directly and pointed it back at the same install so it thinks its already installed. Taking a screenshot directly from within the dvd isn't so easy :(

But it's also possible to make it dual-layer and _keep_ the languages? I hate to hack German-support together after installation. And what about GMA 950? I hear that's a problem currently with EFI, because the Mac mini's readout doesn't really work with desktops with GMA 950...

Looking forward to your release! :(