Please Help! LAN Broadcom BCM5787

petcama

47 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

omagax sent me the instructions below to get BCM5787 working. I'm trying at the moment with no luck but maybe one of you will have better luck. Let me know if you're successful.

1. Ok, grab a copy of the AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip floating around the forum (I can mail it to you if

you want).

2. Extract it to your desktop

3. change the ownership so you can modify it i.e.,

chown -R yourname AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

4. open its Info.plist and add your device/vendor ids to the <key>IONameMatch</key> <array>

array section. My ID detected from MS Windows is VEN 16e4 and DEV 1693 so I added the

following line:

<string>pci14e4,1693</string>

5. Move the AppleBCM5751Ethernet driver from AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext\Contents\MacOS to

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext\Contents (i.e., move the file up one folder level - dont copy, move!)

6. Patch the file AppleBCM5751Ethernet as usual. I used HexFiend because there was some instruction

that one should not do a single global search & replace with Hexedit. Tried HexFiend and I had no issues.

Using HexFiend, do a Hex search for "66 81 FA 96 16" OR "66 81 FA 59 16" - depending on the

version of the Kext you have got - personally, mine had "66 81 FA 96 16" and I am sure this one

works ... replace "66 81 FA 96 16" with your own IDs, for mine that boils down to "66 81 FA 93 16"

and save the file

7. Change the ownership back to root:wheel

chown -R root:wheel AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

8. move or copy the kext to /Systems/Library/Extensions

9. Delete the BCM kexts under /Systems/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/Plugins

10. Fix your cache etc as usual

rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

11. reboot the system

shutdown -r now

6. Patch the file AppleBCM5751Ethernet as usual. I used HexFiend because there was some instruction

that one should not do a single global search & replace with Hexedit. Tried HexFiend and I had no issues.

Using HexFiend, do a Hex search for "66 81 FA 96 16" OR "66 81 FA 59 16" - depending on the

version of the Kext you have got - personally, mine had "66 81 FA 96 16" and I am sure this one

works ... replace "66 81 FA 96 16" with your own IDs, for mine that boils down to "66 81 FA 93 16"

and save the file

How do I find the device ID of my Ethernet port?

Hi.

I have the BCM5787 card. I have tryed the steps, but it didn´t work, or doesn´t work good.

i can see the interface en0, but in the logs(dmesg) shows that the interface can't up.

i can assign ip, netmask, etc, but doesn´t work.

if anyone have this card correctly set up, can upload the modified kext please.

Thank to everyone.

I am so happy to see that my bcm5787 is finally recognized by my iatkos 10.5.2 (using the hexedit on 37336) but then it doesnt have an internet connection even i set to dhcp or manually and it has no mac address (so maybe it is the reason why cant have internet connection) please if anyone knows how to set this please share some ideas. would be so thankful...thank you

post-124512-1203174267_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

I tried this, but after following the guide and reboot, it seems to recognise the card because it showed it in the network configure list.

I found the following side effect: MY LAPTOP KEYBOARD STOPPED RESPONDING ???

So i could not find out more if the card is actually working, because I can't type anything now. No USB keyboard at hand.

Even in -s mode i can't type now :censored2:

Managed to remove the kext via DVD boot.

Anyone any idea how to solve this so I can test the card.

i'd try to load the kext manually after your system has booted.

The kext loads fine for me, and gives me an en0 with 00:00:00.. mac.

Setting the mac address with ifconfig gives Network down.

Bringing the interface up with ifconfig en0 up gives:

AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 resetAdapter - FTQ initialization failed
AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 wakeUp - reset adapter failed
AppleBCM5751Ethernet:		0		0 enable - failed

BCM5787M - 14e4:169b

It seems a problem with Leo4All release.

I could only reinstall to get keyboard working again.

But if I make modifcations involving kexts I get the same non responsive keyboard.

Posted this in the Leo4all thread.

Manuall loading the kext works.

I get a IP address though the mac adress is al zeros.

After reboot i got no keyboard again.

My BCM5787(1693) is working partially, I used these following kexts.

PCCard.10.5.2.Beta2.pkg.zip

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

This is on Kalyway 10.5.1 update to 10.5.2

Installed PCCard.10.5.2.beta2 package by Eqaute first, reboot and Installed AppleBCM5751Ethernet by nobb1x using kext helper.

MAC is still zeros here are the results....

When connected to a Router, it can obtain IP automatically i can browse for couple of minutes, I was so excited seeing it working until BAM! my hack freezes! need to hold the power button of my ACER Aspire 4310 for 5 to 10 sec to power it off.

When connected to a Windows DC(2003) it can't get any IP(need to choose DCHP with Manual IP) tried to browse thru our Proxy Server, I can surf but after a 1 minute or two it won't work(browser will not display webpages).

but i'm happy cause it's working(40%?), it's a good start.

if only I can figured-out why it's freezing/Hanging....

Thanks to Equate and nobb1x.

Okay well after looking more into the issue, it's undoubtedly the Mac Address. As soon as I attempt to set the Mac Address via Terminal (sudo -s; (password); ifconfig en0 ether (my mac address)) the system immediately locks up and freezes. So my guess is that after a few seconds of having internet connectivity, the network attempts to set a mac address, which then in turn causes the crash to occur. I looked at my logs (system, ect..) and really didn't notice any errors at the time of the crash, but before I did notice a bunch of speed step errors, which could be somehow related.

Anyway if I ever figure this out I'll let you guys know, I'm still trying to figure out a way to set this mac address so that when the system reboot it will automatically have the mac set, and hopefully will allow the internet to work.