• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

kristie_jeff

kristie_jeff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I was thinking about this the other day. I have never had a need for a USB hub so I have no experience with one. It seems from reading though that a USB hub is used to expand a USB port on your computer. What I am wonding about is this.

Is there a 'hub' that you can connect USB devices to and share them among two or more computers?

Say I have an external USB sound blaster, the Extigy. I have 3 computers that I want to use it on. Rather than plugging and unplugging the cable all the time when I switch machines, I would like to have a device. I would connect the sound blaster to the 'hub' and in turn connect the 3 computers to the 'hub'. Now, all three computers will have access to this device.

Now I understand that the thing might explode or something with three different signals being sent at the same time. But would it be possible, physically?

Thanks for any help.
Jeff

ps. I put this in Thunderdome because I wasn't sure if it qualified as 'Mac' hardware. Sorry.

Edited by kristie_jeff, 22 January 2006 - 07:24 PM.

Technobob

Technobob

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
This is what you want USB Switch

You may find one that's better for your needs but this will give you an idea what to look for.

kristie_jeff

kristie_jeff

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
A switch. Now I could remember hub, why not switch? I assumed a hub would work like a network hub. Thanks a lot Technobob. I will be searching for somemore of those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy