Derogatory Descriptors

crac

16 posts in this topic

While I can understand that those little descriptors give users an idea of who has contributed more to the forum, I think that it's misguided to make them derogatory, in that:

1. New users aren't necessarily properly reflected by their descriptor.

2. Achieving 'rank' on the forum can lead to a db full of unworthy posts.

3. Rank is another term for odourificness (poetic license)

Maybe I'm just peeved that anyone would want to be associated with Microsoft Anything... it's disgusting, and I want it removed :D

Thank you in advance.

c.

While I can understand that those little descriptors give users an idea of who has contributed more to the forum, I think that it's misguided to make them derogatory, in that:

1. New users aren't necessarily properly reflected by their descriptor.

2. Achieving 'rank' on the forum can lead to a db full of unworthy posts.

3. Rank is another term for odourificness (poetic license)

Maybe I'm just peeved that anyone would want to be associated with Microsoft Anything... it's disgusting, and I want it removed :dev:

Thank you in advance.

c.

I kind of though that they titles were kind of funny... :D

But yeah, they're not really meant to mean to distinguish who's "better" than another. Just a title you earn at different posting levels. I never thought them offensive IMO...thoughts?

i think they are funny. i didnot know about Microsoft Bob until sum one told me to search on google. i thought it meant sumone (BOB) who uses microsoft products. havent googled for the rest though.

Yeah, it was a flopped OS that everyone makes fun of.

I made it the lowest so that people would post to get bumped up out of it, which only takes a few posts. :)

But, I'll probably change it around to make it a little more easy to understand for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is recorded on the forum any more, but after some digging around I found that the current system works like this:

Microsoft Bob..............0

Lowly Mac Mini...........20

90's eMac..................50

HAL 9000...................75

Apple Newton............100

ENIAC MANIAC..........250

Apple ][.....................500

Choose your own......Not sure about this, it happens somewhere between 500-1000 posts (or by being someone special :()

That's a pretty good scheme IMHO; people get rewarded quite quickly for making a contribution and the higher levels are unlikely to be achieved by folks who make timewasting posts, 'cos you'd need a heck of a lot of them and we'd jump on you before you got there bash.gif

• 1 month later...
Microsoft Bob..............0

Lowly Mac Mini...........20

90's eMac..................50

HAL 9000...................75

Apple Newton............100

ENIAC MANIAC..........250

Apple ][.....................500

Ah THAT is what I was looking for. The list.

Also I do get the MS BOB reference, but remember MSBOB was an overlay of Windows 3.1 not an OS in its own right. Thankfully it flopped then 95 came out and a lot of people forgot about it.

Not I though. Used it once at work on a crash box, it was horrible, but no more horrible then TabWorks, or even Norton Desktop.

I take that back.. I kinda liked Norton Desktop.