Booting installation DVD using PC EFI

satan_himself

71 posts in this topic

I can confirm that the combination of "satan_himself" script and "mWMA" suggestion builds a bootable EFI patched Leopard DVD !!! :-)

All you need is an original Leopard iso, which is easily found via BT

Edit: no sata support ;-(

what do you mean no SATA support ?! what hardware do you have ? IDE or AHCI ?

Ok satan_himself, in italian forum i've posted the script patch created from your to make original dvd bootable and installable.

The script is in italian but it simple to understand.

Three script are to resize if you want, make bootable the vanilla kernel with EFI,and add some files to DVD. These are resize-patch.sh, boot-patch.sh and files-patch.sh .

When you have burned the osx86final.sparseimage file (a DubleLayer DVD as Original) the installation start with boot the vanilla kernel and after 6-8 minutes from boot the original installer start........

Select DiskUtility and partition your drive in any part but the scheme of partition must be GPT not MBR.

When done close DiskUtility and go to terminal and type cd /usr/./startefi.sh . when the script is finished your drive will be bootable, close the terminal and start the normal installation; don't warry if when you go to select the drive prepared before have a wrong icons. After 15-20 minutes when the installer stay to finish,it will give an error: it's not able to make the disk of installation bootable and ask you to use Startup Disk to make it, DON'T USE but open terminal and type cd /usr/kext-patch.sh .

When this step is finish restart and enjoy with Leopard !!

The result is a DVD as Original but load and Install as a MAC................

In my DVD i've add dsmos.kext,NVinject.kext, replace AppleSMBIOS.kext and remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext + AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext. With few modify i've near perfect original system compible with my hardware in signature.

Thank's to you,Netkas(the genius),BJMoose,Brazil-Mac and all developer and user !!!!!!!!!

okay, I placed my Leo disc in the drive, unzipped the mkboot folder to the desktop, placed the pc_efi folder on the desktop too.

I opened the mkboot.sh and edited it as follows:

installer="/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD"	# either /dev/diskXsY or /Volumes/SomeName
size=7680					# resulting image size in megabytes
volname="osx86dvd"				# volume name
imgname="$volname"				# output image file name
loader="Users/bjeecw/Desktop/pc_efi_v80/boot_v8"			# path to PC EFI boot_vXx file

But it does not work. I executed the script in Terminal. But then it dies. I want the full size disc, so I changed it to 7680. The volume name for the installer was correct so I left it alone. I gave the full path to the boot_v8.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Brian

Ok Brian, first create a classic DMG image of your dvd a place it on desktop.

See my post in italian forum, there is attach a zip files with all that you need, only extract ad place on desktop all files.

Thank's............

P.S: I'll traslate in english the scripts.......... and excuse me for my english !!!

Well, the boot loader does all the kext loading, so it is possible to load some extensions (dsmos.kext) from a source other than the OS X Install DVD, or to prevent loading of certain extensions, or even load an alternative kernel image.

You may or may not be aware that the pc_efi boot_vX file IS the Darwin boot loader. AFAIK, netkas didn't release the source code for his boot loader modifications, although he should (according to Apple's license terms anyway). He could implement this feature himself without sharing the source, however that still wouldn't be legal to distribute.

© If You Externally Deploy Your Modifications, You must make

Source Code of all Your Externally Deployed Modifications either

available to those to whom You have Externally Deployed Your

Modifications, or publicly available. Source Code of Your Externally

Deployed Modifications must be released under the terms set forth in

this License, including the license grants set forth in Section 3

below, for as long as you Externally Deploy the Covered Code or twelve

(12) months from the date of initial External Deployment, whichever is

longer. You should preferably distribute the Source Code of Your

Externally Deployed Modifications electronically (e.g. download from a

web site).

Anyway, some other guy made public his attempt at providing EFI emulation in the Darwin boot loader, so we could also use his work as a starting point: http://www.tgwbd.org/darwin/

However, I'd be even more interested in trying to support EFI on non-EFI systems using the code from www.tianocore.org, although that may prove to be harder. I have some ideas, but haven't yet started anything.

People, just an advice, to prevent you bad surprices... Dont talk abut LEGAL because it wont be legal anyway.. Read Leopard licence here: http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use

or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one

computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

Apple specified that you can't install Leopard on a non Apple machine; so no mather how you install Leopard on pc, it wont be legal anyway :D

Ok Brian, first create a classic DMG image of your dvd a place it on desktop.

See my post in italian forum, there is attach a zip files with all that you need, only extract ad place on desktop all files.

Thank's............

P.S: I'll traslate in english the scripts.......... and excuse me for my english !!!

Which post is that allesandro cant seem to find the one with the zip file.

:(

Just to point out that you are quite correct as to the content of that document. The debate is over the validity of the EULA/licences in different countries, and in certain jurisdictions legally installing os x on a non-apple machine may be possible..

People, just an advice, to prevent you bad surprices... Dont talk abut LEGAL because it wont be legal anyway.. Read Leopard licence here: http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

A. Single Use. This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use

or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one

computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

Apple specified that you can't install Leopard on a non Apple machine; so no mather how you install Leopard on pc, it wont be legal anyway ;)

if i try the dvd in my other system, all sata.... sata hdd and sata dvd, the installer hangs on "waiting for root device"

That's probably because you didn't patch the ATA kext. PCEFI can help, but most of the time you will still need patched kext

Ok, I ran into an interesting little problem that caused me a TON of headache. If you mount the image as read/write and copy in kernel extensions... you need to make sure that the partition is not set to ignore permissions. (Get Info on the mounted drive and make sure that ignore permissions is unchecked)

What happened to me was that I copied in the kernel extensions, set their owner, and set the permissions. However, because the drive was defaulting to ignore permissions, chown had no affect on the files and essentially failed silently. After toasting 3 double-layered DVDs trying to get the DVD to boot completely into the installer, I finally did all the work on a USB drive and ultimately ran into the same problem, but eventually I managed to get the USB drive booted into single-user mode and that was when I finally noticed that the owner/group numbers for all of the kernel extensions I had copied in were completely hosed.

Anyways, if you get a spinning beach ball indefinitely when you should be getting an installer application... check to make sure that the permissions for your kernel extensions were actually set as you expect them to be.

Just tested this script from the Italian forum, and it seems to work well. I've only got two issues:

1) Takes a long time to boot the DVD as the extensions.mkext needs rebuilding. Does anybody know a way to do this? The brazilmac method looks like it'll break things.

2) Will there be a way to copy needed kexts etc onto the DVD for installation once installed? I don't mean integrating into setup. More of, open the DVD and run the installers from a directory.

Just tested this script from the Italian forum, and it seems to work well. I've only got two issues:

1) Takes a long time to boot the DVD as the extensions.mkext needs rebuilding. Does anybody know a way to do this? The brazilmac method looks like it'll break things.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75426

This is the technique, regardless of version.

2) Will there be a way to copy needed kexts etc onto the DVD for installation once installed? I don't mean integrating into setup. More of, open the DVD and run the installers from a directory.

just drop a folder into the read/write mounted image before you burn.

We have argued the following,

1) You may purchase an LEGAL Apple Mac, Software?

2) You may rebuild it into a different case for heating issues, and transfer Logo?

3) You may replace the memory with Kingston Modules, for faster access?

4) You may replace the Intel Proccessor from duo core to Quad?

5) You may replace the Graphics card to accomodate you gaming needs?

6) You may replace the DVD Writer, with a BlueRAY for Backup Capacity?

7) You may replace the Keyboard and Mouse for a more Ergonomical friendly Logitech?

8) You may replace the existing Audio with a 7.1 Surround Creative for sound in gaming?

9) You may replace your Harddrive with a 1TB Maxtor for enlarging your storrage capacity?

10) You may purchase a 83" HDMI 1080i LCD TV/Monitor toaccommodate your gaming

Let me see whats left........? the powercable! The Apple Store told me to cut the cable and fit my own PLUG!

What i'm seeing here is... you wont have much of a warranty left unless you have all this done at the Apple Shop,

Then what are we to do? :D

"on a single Apple-labeled computer" I got some REALLY cool Apple labels with my new IPOD!

Sticman

Learn to flow not fight the system.......

Apple specified that you can't install Leopard on a non Apple machine; so no mather how you install Leopard on pc, it wont be legal anyway ;)

Ok, tried that and got this error:

bash-3.2# sudo kextcache -a i386 -k -z -m Desktop/Extensions.mkext Desktop/Extensions

/Users/flibblesan/Desktop/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBCDCACMControl.kext/Contents/Info.plist is not authentic

can't archive info dict file /Users/flibblesan/Desktop/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBCDCACMControl.kext/Contents/Info.plist - No such file or directorybash-3.2#

so I moved the directory to Root and tried it there. The got this:

bash-3.2# sudo kextcache -a i386 -k -z -m Extensions.mkext Extensions

/Extensions/AppleStorageDrivers.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SanyoIDShot.kext/Contents/Info.plist is not authentic

can't archive info dict file /Extensions/AppleStorageDrivers.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SanyoIDShot.kext/Contents/Info.plist - No such file or directory

Amazingly confused.

Amazingly confused.

Well sometimes even if the -z option is included (don't authenticate kexts) you need to change permissions on the kexts.

with:sudo chown -R root:wheel path_to_folder

i386 as opposed to ppc ?

As a result the file is thinner than having both codes.

Hi, now i've traslated the script in english (maybe not brillant).

The script works on Original DVD.

I make few modify and now the Extensions.mkext is rebuild in automatic at the end of process of dvd patch.

Good luck.......

Thank's to ALL.................

p.s.

Put all files from folder dvd-patch-eng on desktop.......

dvd_patch_eng.zip