What is Apple's deal?

31 posts in this topic

This prolly sounds like a noob question, but its something that one of my friends asked me.

Why is it that Apple made a feature that allows you to run Windows but they don't allow pc's to run Mac OS? I know one argument somebody could make is, "A lot of people rely on Windows applications, like MS Word ect...." Does anybody else think that Apple shouldn't get pissed because someone wants Mac OS, but can't afford an Apple computer? Bill Gates and Microsoft doesn't get mad because Apple allows users to run Windows on their computers. I honestly think that Apple SHOULD allow Mac OS on Windows, because it might boost their sales and help stop the lawsuits.

Know this is prolly a stupid post, but I just wanted to get some opinions, maybe it will get Apple to change their minds. Who knows?

Imagine if Microsoft only produced Windows for Intel processors and choice graphics cards. It would be 99% stable, the same way OS X is. If Apple released OS X for all PCs, it was be a stability and compatibility nightmare. Plus Apple is primarily a hardware company. They don't make the big bucks off OS X, all of that comes from the overpriced Mac computers. Apple releasing OS X for PCs would be financial suicide.

Apple is a computer company that happens to make their own software. Everything they sell supports and reflects this model. Their software is only there to support their hardware; selling the software alone would be a functional (drivers etc) and business ($129 for an OS or $599+ for a computer which would you take?) blunder for apple.

Microsoft is a software company that sells an operating system that runs on hardware from many other vendors. Apple sells machines that are well within spec to run their operating system. To Microsoft a Windows sale is a Windows sale regardless of the hardware it runs on (or even virtual hardware), they don't care which computer you own.

Apple has tried licensing their OS to other manufacturers in the 90s and it nearly killed them. Steve Jobs also had to compete in the same type of markets with Microsoft when he had NeXT. Nobody who competes with microsoft in the same fashion as them (be, linux, next, etc) will ever win and Jobs has seen this first hand. And with apple doing as well as they have the last couple of years, I'm pretty sure Jobs is not changing his mind anytime soon.

It might not happen now, or even a few years from now, but look at how the past 6 years have been for Apple. They are seemingly taking a great foothold on the PC market now that they made the switch to Intel all those years ago, and who knows, give them another 10 years and it might just be doable.

Is it a Insanely forum rule we have to go over this every few months? ;)

This is never gonna happen anything in the near future. Any comparisons to MS being a software only company aren't applicable.

MS established the Windows OS when there wasn't really a dominate marketshare for any GUI based OS. Apple would be trying this competing against an OS with 95% of the market share. Possible, maybe but not nearly as profitable. And second, remember that MS's real power and profit comes from Office.

I would pay a little more for the right to install or modify OS X on my non-mac computer with the understanding I can only share parts of my work and not the whole CD.

I purchased a 10.4 & 10.5 CD because it was the right thing to do and i'd buy a MAC computer if it wasn't so over priced.

Apple has an oppertunity here to put a big dent in MS shares if they wanted too.

Me too - I've always bought a legit copy. The Hackintosh for me is a bit of a project anyway whereas the other Macs in my house get used all the time.

I still think the illegality of installing a copy of OS X that I paid for on non-Apple kit is questionable. The EULA states only that it must be installed on "Apple Labelled" equipment. Fortunately, every retail box of Leopard ships with two Apple stickers. Problem solved! :(

People forget that your dont just get a mac when you buy it. You get the whole apple store and all the people that are inside that will help you out.

ahahahahahahahhahahha

:(

The EULA states only that it must be installed on "Apple Labelled" equipment. Fortunately, every retail box of Leopard ships with two Apple stickers. Problem solved! :(

K, nano2d that is hilarious!!!

I'm gonna go post a topic in reader news on "how to make mac os x legal".

Thanks for the tip nano2d!!

;)

pcwiz

ahahahahahahahhahahha

:wacko:

Hey, It's true to an extent. You get a years worth of insurance, people to help you move your files over, free seminars, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Wait, it has nothing to do with hardware, just greed,

I bought a mac, I bought OSX. I run Ubuntu, because I prefer linux for most things. But occasionally I'd like to use something in OSX without rebooting and shutting down all the work I've gotten into. So I'd like to run OSX through vmware on my paid for OSX on my paid for Macbook Pro. But it seems the only way to do this is to apply patches to OSX that voids oodles of EULA's and really is a little more pain in the ass considering the money I just spent.

Maybe I'm wrong, please someone enlighten me.

And how many times have other people argued the opposite point? We've argued this so many times that I think everyone is confused as to what is what.

There is one difference which can't be denied. I have never heard of people in Italy going to prison for pirating. The Police couldn't care less. Otherwise about 60% of the entire population should be in prison (this is official).

Stealing, OTOH, is actively prosecuted.

I agree with just about everyone here:

NOT GONNA HAPPEN

They'd lose too much market value, and the sales of Macs is gonna drop like a rock and that's where they get all their main income from.

but what about the OSX selling income

Apple can make money with selling Hard- and Software to 5.000.000 customers

or they maybe can make money with selling Software (OSX, Aperture, iLife, Logic, ...) to 50.000.000 customers

And in the future it will be more important which OS is running on your devices (computer, phone, mobile player, refridgerator ...)