WAAAAAAAAAHHH!

Hagar

19 posts in this topic

late night+clever ideas+BIOS update - Which one should NOT go with the others?? I don't know exactly what went wrong because I was out with the dog whilst the bios flashed.. but when I came back it was D915GAVL RIP.

I just woke up.. my lovely triple-booter is lying there in bits.. I'm typing in windows on my noisy old athlon XP & figuring out which bit of the money I haven't got I'm going to have to spend on a new mobo instead of the upgrades I was looking forwards to....

The mistake was simple.. rather than fitting a floppy drive, I did a clever solution with a bootable CD.. all I know is the mobo didn't like it. I'd got so used to being able to get myself out of any fix that I never figured it was permanent.. until I'd stripped it to the bare bones & tried 3 different rescue floppies in 3 different floppy drives.. it is an ex-board. it has ceased to be. & boy is windows ugly after 5 months away...

If anybody wants me I'll be the guy sat crying over the hardware pricelists..

late night+clever ideas+BIOS update - Which one should NOT go with the others?? I don't know exactly what went wrong because I was out with the dog whilst the bios flashed.. but when I came back it was D915GAVL RIP.

I just woke up.. my lovely triple-booter is lying there in bits.. I'm typing in windows on my noisy old athlon XP & figuring out which bit of the money I haven't got I'm going to have to spend on a new mobo instead of the upgrades I was looking forwards to....

The mistake was simple.. rather than fitting a floppy drive, I did a clever solution with a bootable CD.. all I know is the mobo didn't like it. I'd got so used to being able to get myself out of any fix that I never figured it was permanent.. until I'd stripped it to the bare bones & tried 3 different rescue floppies in 3 different floppy drives.. it is an ex-board. it has ceased to be. & boy is windows ugly after 5 months away...

If anybody wants me I'll be the guy sat crying over the hardware pricelists..

Once you update the BIOS to a BIOS that's not for your machine, that's it. A buddy of mine updated the BIOS on his mobo, and he accidentally chose the Intel one instead of the AMD one (they made an exact mobo but different processor/BIOS/etc.) and it was fubar after that.

You can get a 915GAVL for around $100 or so now. That's what I paid for mine from NCIX.com

I think, seing as I'm buying now, a 945 based board makes more sense.. following Bofors's thread on that score..

The BIOS I was flashing was the correct one, it was the technique that was incorrect, but how it managed to make such a mess that it won't boot a bios rescue floppy (that ability is supposed to be hard-coded) I have no idea..

As of right now, the status of the board is that at power on, it does nothing. no beeps, no flashes, no ticking or grinding noises.. HD & DVD spin up if they're connected, floppy doesn't. the only sign of any logic onboard at all is that it obeys the power switch..

Can I scream {censored}! in the thunderdome? it appears I just did..

Edited by Hagar

I think, seing as I'm buying now, a 945 based board makes more sense.. following Bofors's thread on that score..

The BIOS I was flashing was the correct one, it was the technique that was incorrect, but how it managed to make such a mess that it won't boot a bios rescue floppy (that ability is supposed to be hard-coded) I have no idea..

As of right now, the status of the board is that at power on, it does nothing. no beeps, no flashes, no ticking or grinding noises.. HD & DVD spin up if they're connected, floppy doesn't. the only sign of any logic onboard at all is that it obeys the power switch..

Can I scream f***! in the thunderdome? it appears I just did..

You get no POST, right?

That means it's gone.

Edited by stryder

Tried the recovery bios.. no go. I downloaded the bios etc. from intel, I'm assuming it's an intel bios..

Im not 100% sure as i havent done this in a while , but I believe that there is a jumper on the motherboard you have to switch in order to get the machine to initiate the bios recovery. You just downloaded the recovery bios file right? It should just be a single file that you put on a floppy disk and insert before you turn the machine on and when the machine powers up it should initialise the file on the floppy and reflash the bios.

Good luck to you.

Edited by sgi02

I did the jumper thing as per instructions.. I'd like to thank everyone for their input & concern, I expected to be yelling alone in a corner..

the only thing that might be in the way now is my floppy drives.. all 3 are old ones I had lying around.. plugging them into a working machine to test them all is a hassle as I'm 1 machine short atm :angry:

One thing is for certain. when I rebuild this machine it is going to have a brand-new, good quality FLOPPY DRIVE! Don't think of it as an obsolete storage device, think of it as a lifeboat, a low level system diagnostic & maintainance port.

Edited by Hagar

Tried the recovery bios.. no go. I downloaded the bios etc. from intel, I'm assuming it's an intel bios..

If you know someone with exactly the same board (must be the same), you can fix it:

- Boot from a DOS disk.

- After DOS has boot, take the working BIOS out and put your broken one in there during the PC is on (be carefully, it's a little bit tricky).

- Start the soft in DOS to flash your BIOS now.

- Take it out and put it in your PC, your machine should boot now.

Alternative: buy a BIOS for your board, sometimes it cost new the same than a used board at E-Bay.

Usually for something like $20 and 2 weeks of waiting you can send in your BIOS to the mobo manufacturer and they will ship you a properly flashed working one. They know it's an issue, so they are willing to help, generally. So call up support and ask them about it. A lot cheaper than a new mobo.

You could also buy the same mobo, swap the chips, and RMA it. But that's unethical. :angry:

LOL Ethics aside, I'm fairly sure this thing isn't socketed. I'll be phoning the place I bought it on monday to see what their policy is.. they've been helpful before, so I might be lucky..

• 2 weeks later...

i have done this to my computer. award bios. a7n8xe. I made a floppy, which had uniflash, and the bios file. got the instructions from some where and it worked perfect. if u want detailed instructions, send me a PM. OR Simply take it to your dealer and ask him to fix it. I got mine fixed for FREE form ASUS. I figured the uniflash the second time i f*cked my bios.

I like bios logos OK

• 2 weeks later...