Change Mac OS X Version easily

JSn1™

38 posts in this topic

UPDATE: NEW VERSION 2.0

I was trying to install iWork and iLife, but Mac won't install on 10.4.8, basically, the system is the same, we just needed to change a few strings to make the computer think it has 10.4.10 or so.

I created this utility that will allow you to easily change the version number to:

- etc...

Also, I made an utility to fix your Apple logo if you have another one from the distro you installed.

Have Fun!

NEW WORKING DOWNLOAD LINK, ##DOWNLOAD HERE##

• 2 weeks later...

I used this, and, sure enough, it worked, so well done for that, however it does cause programs that actually need the update for system glitch fixes (i.e. office 08) to come up with some wierd errors. I think I'll just use leopard now, but thanks anyway

• 4 weeks later...

Life saver. I can't for the life of me make the 10.4.11 AMD update using marvins patcher, though if somebody could either send me the AMD file or solid instructions it would be very good)

Now i can use iWork on JaS 10.4.8 YAY! though iLife doesn't mount. any idea's?

Think Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I was trying to install iWork and iLife, but Mac won't install on 10.4.8, basically, the system is the same, we just needed to change a few strings to make the computer think it has 10.4.10 or so.

I created this utility that will allow you to easily change the version number to:

Have Fun!

It won't upload to the forum, #download it here#

JSN1: Could you please repost the utility. The download site no longer has it. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

In theory, could we use this to fake our systems into thinking it has 10.5, and than use the dock.app from a leo disk to give us that sexy 3d dock?

Among other apps of course :(

Technically, those of us who cannot run leopard directly thanks to hardware limitations, could *in theory* use this application to load up all that makes leopard good into a tiger installation :)

I'm currently working on attempting this.

einhornchen, that sounds awsome, keep us updated if you can get the dock working, that would be sweet! I can not upgrade to 10.5 due to hardware limitations.

Quick question: I upgraded from JaS 10.4.8 to '10.4.11' flawlessly and alot of software can now be installed (iLife, MS Office etc).

Should I need to in the future 'update' to '10.5' using the this installer, would there be any issues?

Cheers and great work!

Hi JSN1,thanks for giving me some credit on your utility -_- I posted this solution : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=60268 on august 2007.You made a nice installer out of it ...grtz, AntarcticP

Hi Everyone! Hope this utility is helping everyone.

To AntarcticP, this utility was based on investigation, nothing was copied from your original post, this is just automated for the users to be faster and hassle free.

To everyone:I will start working on getting the Leopard dock working for tiger, I will start copying the files from myleopard macbook to the tiger hackintosh.

TO COME:> Extensive system selector.

including 10.4 > 10.5.2 (FOR OTHER PURSPOSES)>

FakeFun System selector. 10.3 > 10.3.9, 10.4.12 > 10.4.15, 10.5.3, 10.6 (JUST FOR FUN)

Starting to work in:> Leopard Dock for Tiger (Working: 20% done)

Please post your requests.

JSN1

Status

Update:The dock is quite different. The main executable is 650 kb Tiger vs 2.2 MB Leopard Getting permissions troubles right now, should be solved shortly. Right now Tiger's Finderis trying to launch the Leopard's dock, no panics or troubles right now... Just fixing some permissionsand lets see what happens.

So far I'm making a decent bit of progress with leopardizing my tiger installation. I havent actually made the leopard applications work on tiger, but basically I'm giving the tiger installation the leopard look. Once I have completed the majority of it I will attempt to build a script or installer. Hopefully JSN will make some progress in getting the leo apps to work correctly in tiger.

The biggest step I can think of is getting the dock to work as much like the dock in leopard as possible. This means the 3d look, as well as the expanded view of any folders on it.

permissions: fixed, dock now loading up in Tiger, but not showing.

update: dock refuses to show, but it is loading itself... Seems to make Finder crash...

update2: Tiger dock works in Leopard... but Leopard dock does not work in Tiger...

update3: got Leopard Finder to load up in Tiger... half working. I can see the volume, battery, bluetooth and time icons and click on them, there is no Apple nor file menu to click right now. Will work with the console tomorrow.

Also: The new system version fix is almost ready, some new options coming... also an Apple logo fix.

• 2 weeks later...

thank u for the upload but how to get this dock and finder look like leo cause shapeshifter is not working it closes the system preferences when i try to open it...it didn't open with me at first too but then i re-unarchived rar file and it did :rolleyes:

I downloaded and tried running it but it cant open im running 10.4.8 at the moment, what could be wrong